First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Oh man, old thread.

This has been discussed 100's of times. Anything over 1 would be concerning. But you need to put that in perspective. Even hitting 1 doesn't 100% mean you have a mechanical issue.

For example, you may see that with a really bad batch of gas after multiple pulls. Think of knock control not just as something there protecting your engine but as a reflection of your gas quality.

Ideal on KTuner is .49 and .54 on Hondata.

Even with good gas, knock control will rise up depending on environmetal factors. For example, look at it the next time you climb a long, steep hill. It will rise. It might be higher in hot weather. But the biggest culprit is using low quality, low octane gas on a tune that demands high quality, high octane.

Now let's say someone uses high quality 93 and it's a good batch of gas. Under those circumstances, you probably shouldn't be seeing really high numbers like .8 and above.

One other point. Many tuning newbies panic if they see something like .77 on the screen. But remember, that's the ECU doing it's job. It's sensing something (bad gas, load, high temps etc.) and pulls back on timing to protect your engine. So in that way, it's a good thing.
Thanks brother, I've heard somewhere there is winter gas and it's not as good is that true?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks brother, I've heard somewhere there is winter gas and it's not as good is that true?
Winter gas is blended differently to run better in cold weather and costs less to produce. But octane is octane. A 91 summer octane rating should still be 91 with a winter blend. So it shouldn't really affect knock control.

The biggest difference I see in winter is a drop off in mpgs. It's a combination on the reformulated gas and those cold weather starts.

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Winter gas is blended differently to run better in cold weather and costs less to produce. But octane is octane. A 91 summer octane rating should still be 91 with a winter blend. So it shouldn't really affect knock control.

The biggest difference I see in winter is a drop off in mpgs. It's a combination on the reformulated gas and those cold weather starts.
Thanks brother, sorry for being a hassle appreciate everything you do! Honestly didn't know winter gas was a thing, that's what happens when you're young haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya. Yeah, I haven't been young for a long time. ;)

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
Kind of adding to this. Just tonight, hit .85 after doing a MAP 2 sport pull. I’m on a quarter tank of USUALLY solid 93 and it’s about 55 degrees outside. This was my like once a month pull and hadn’t seen this on any pulls prior. I took it easy obviously after and cruised in 6th. KC went from the slightly lower .79 to stopping at .59 when I stopped my drive. As stated in the thread this a technically a Good thing but still concerning.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Likely just a bad batch of gas. Not uncommon at all.

cmunoz1795

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
I pumped e30 at the same gas station I’ve always used. Never had an issue. I didn’t see a dip and hit pretty hard the frame. After that night. Knock control rose to 1.0. Didn’t think too much of it since it was going down gradually. And eventually got it back to 0.49. However the next day it shot back up to 0.9 and the process begins to repeat itself going down before going back up. I’m guessing a bad batch of gas, I was slightly under a half, close to 1/4 and just pumped 93 and still having the same issue. Haven’t done any pulls or anything. Just driving normally to and from work/school. Any insight why knock control is going up repeatedly? No codes, no audible knock. Could it just be bad gas is still in the system?

Last edited:

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
you pumped e30 with a flex fuel kit?