Knock control sensor, what does it pick up?

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
We know that knock control can rise from a bunch of things like:
  • Lower than 91 octane
  • Aggressive or prolonged acceleration
  • Knock (duh)
  • Bas gas
  • Ambient temps
  • Intake temps

What else can cause the reading to climb? I think I read somewhere that other engine issues like a turbo, intercooler, or transmission issue can raise the reading, is that true?

What are the other items?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The thing with knock count on this platform is that it's highly inaccurate to the point of not even being worth monitoring. Just stick with monitoring knock control.

Here's an old quote from Vit:
The Knock Count value on this ECU is worthless. It doesn't track actual knock -- I've induced audible knock on our test vehicle and knock count stayed at 0. Yet at other times it would go up while shifting the vehicle.

OP
OP
EastBayCivic

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The thing with knock count on this platform is that it's highly inaccurate to the point of not even being worth monitoring. Just stick with monitoring knock control.

Here's an old quote from Vit:

The knock sensor feeds into the knock control parameter right? Sorry if I made you think i was talking about the knock count reading.

I'll try to change the title

Anyways- I'm trying to learn about more of the things that can cause knock control to rise. Maybe we have an early warning system for different engine issues.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The knock sensor feeds into the knock control parameter right? Sorry if I made you think i was talking about the knock count reading.

I'll try to change the title

Anyways- I'm trying to learn about more of the things that can cause knock control to rise. Maybe we have an early warning system for different engine issues.
Knock control would increase for the same reasons regardless of what the issue was, so it can't be a super accurate indicator or diagnosis of any specific problem.

If the engine detects knock, or the possibility of knock occurring, KControl will pull ignition timing in an effort to save the rods and pistons. This is why we see it climb in instances of high intake air temperature, or the knock sensor recognizing what it thinks is knocking, or if the car determined that your fuel is of lower quality or octane, or after a WOT pull.

That being said, if your KControl steadily or rapidly rises and doesn't normalize over time, it is a good indicator of something being wrong. But it doesn't respond to any specific systems other than the conditions in the cylinders being less than optimal.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Plus, if you have a non-Si your knock control will rise every time you get past 5300 rpm regardless of boost, IAT, fuel quality or the earth itself exploding :p

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Plus, if you have a non-Si your knock control will rise every time you get past 5300 rpm regardless of boost, IAT, fuel quality or the earth itself exploding :p
Almost everytime and I don't get why or what cause this.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Almost everytime and I don't get why or what cause this.
It's a safety feature.

The non-Si models aren't meant to be racecars. They really weren't taking into account the people that would turn them into racecars or upgrade the internals. In events of WOT they decided it would be wise to pull timing to protect the less stout rods and pistons of the non-Si engines.
Sponsored