Knock control parameters and meanings.

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
Recent owner of the V2 and went with the phearable tune. After it for a little more power for spirited driving. I also am still looking to treat my car well so want to get the best info on monitoring the effects.

I am looking for information on knock control parameters and knock control behaviours.
Specifically, the normal range, and the expected increase in knock control in certain driving situations as well as expected parameters in these different driving conditions.
If I know I am going to go for a more spirited drive, I want to know what the knock control should go to that is expected but also not doing anything damaging.

(There are 3 maps) So far regular, driving keeps me 0.5-0.59.
On pulls I will go from 0.6-0.7.
the highest knock control I have seen is 0.8 at a time where is was doing a few pulls between maps 2 and 3.
Going back to regular driving will get me back down to 0.5-0.6 eventually.
I run Chevron 94 (no ethanol) only.
Civic hatch sport
Thanks
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On an E40 blend, I run 0.49 consistently. On Chevron 91, I can see 0.52 - 0.55 under load. 0.6 - 0.8 is usually what happens on stock cars. So it won't hurt. Anything over 0.8 I'd keep an eye on for sure.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
People get way too bent out of shape over normal knock control numbers. It's basically a measure of gas quality. There are a few other factors that go into it like load and temps.

The thing is, it will vary. In normal driving, anything in the .5's or below is fine. Push it harder, it may go up. Push it hard up a hill, it may go up. Pusher in hard in very hot weather, it may go up.

As long as you arent seeing constant high numbers in sedate driving, you're fine.

OP
OP

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
People get way too bent out of shape over normal knock control numbers. It's basically a measure of gas quality. There are a few other factors that go into it like load and temps.

The thing is, it will vary. In normal driving, anything in the .5's or below is fine. Push it harder, it may go up. Push it hard up a hill, it may go up. Pusher in hard in very hot weather, it may go up.

As long as you arent seeing constant high numbers in sedate driving, you're fine.
I’m just trying to get familiar with normal numbers and expected increases. So far I am just reading people’s own findings.
Is the goal to try and keep it below .6’s? Is it fine to go into the .7’s for a while?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ideal is .49 ...

But, when it goes up, for whatever reason, the reduced timing is protecting your engine. Going into the .7 range won't hurt your engine; just reduce power a bit.

Typically for me on Phearable 1.5, I see .49 to .55 in normal driving on 93. I live in a hilly area so I do see some higher numbers at times.

I've just basically learned that after doing multiple pulls, it's time to take it easy for a bit.

OP
OP

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
Ideal is .49 ...

But, when it goes up, for whatever reason, the reduced timing is protecting your engine. Going into the .7 range won't hurt your engine; just reduce power a bit.

Typically for me on Phearable 1.5, I see .49 to .55 in normal driving on 93. I live in a hilly area so I do see some higher numbers at times.

I've just basically learned that after doing multiple pulls, it's time to take it easy for a bit.
If you do a few pulls, .6 - .7’a can be common? I’m looking to enjoy the tune responsibly, haha.
just want to keep everything optimal for the long term.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On Phearable's non-Si tune ? Yes. Absolutely.

Relax and have fun.

OP
OP

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
On Phearable's non-Si tune ? Yes. Absolutely.

Relax and have fun.
To clarify I have the Phearable 1.5 for my Sport hatch 1.5.
have only ran Chevron 94 (in Canada) since getting the ktuner.

Ex: If I am in Map2, on a 3rd gear I can rev it to maybe 4500 and My knock control hits .75 and I let off. Would you say that sounds expected for our tune?
Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm, well I'm custom tuned by John, and ever since ktuner enabled the on/off toggle of the artificial knock control rise, i hardly ever go over 0.58 on like 4 WOT within like 5 minutes but I'm on petro 94octane
Remember, I'm specifically talking the 1.5 OTS tune. John designed it before KTuner released the artificial knock rise removal feature. But, John bumps timing up a touch to compensate for the artificial rise.

OP
OP

RyzenShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport
Country flag
I need to spend some time reading up on this stuff more in general. I will pop over to the ktuner site and get some more info.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

FRDA250.FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your numbers all look to be around the same as mine, I’ll get it up over .80 on a pull up the hill on my daily commute and it takes a bit to come back down if not in the certain situations.

I’m on Vancouver Island and been playing around with the different fuels for a bit, what are your LTFT numbers on the 94? Any other mods?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your numbers all look to be around the same as mine, I’ll get it up over .80 on a pull up the hill on my daily commute and it takes a bit to come back down if not in the certain situations.
But that's exactly how knock control is supposed to work on the non-Si's.

K.C. will rise anytime the engine goes above 5200 rpm. It also rises under load, like up a hill.

As long as it slowly comes down, all is well.
Sponsored