Knock control observations

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I've noticed if you just free rev above 5000rpm while stationary the knock control will increase a bit from .49 to .52 or .53.
Sponsored

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've asked about this a lot and my understanding is that you should consider Hondatas .54 and Ktuner's .49 as equivalent. Knock control is almost better looked at as a trending value, rather than it's value at any given time. For example, 0.60 is not necessarily a bad number, but if you see it go from 0.49 to 0.60 (or similar) under light throttle conditions, you probably have a problem.
I only just now installed TunerView Lite and such.

I was trying to hit 22 PSI on the Phearable tune just a second ago when I was at 0.49 knock control, and it was only hitting 18 PSI. My TunerView eventually "froze" since it lost connection, and when I reconnected the knock control was at 0.64.

I tried to drive light the rest of the way, but couldn't get it back down. I'm reading above this post that I should have hit lighter boosts for longer maybe, but I wasn't aware of the fact.

Anyway, I only have 91 octane and it was about 91 degrees outside as well, go figure (perhaps those two factors are also why I couldn't hit 22 PSI). It never did go down again after driving lightly for ten more minutes, but I'm just wondering if what I was doing was safe or not? Or should I consider something bad is going on under the hood?

Thanks.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only just now installed TunerView Lite and such.

I was trying to hit 22 PSI on the Phearable tune just a second ago when I was at 0.49 knock control, and it was only hitting 18 PSI. My TunerView eventually "froze" since it lost connection, and when I reconnected the knock control was at 0.64.

I tried to drive light the rest of the way, but couldn't get it back down. I'm reading above this post that I should have hit lighter boosts for longer maybe, but I wasn't aware of the fact.

Anyway, I only have 91 octane and it was about 91 degrees outside as well, go figure (perhaps those two factors are also why I couldn't hit 22 PSI). It never did go down again after driving lightly for ten more minutes, but I'm just wondering if what I was doing was safe or not? Or should I consider something bad is going on under the hood?

Thanks.
91 octane is likely your issue. Splash in a gallon of E85 and fill the remainder up with 91 octane and see how it behaves then.

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
I have a 6mt 2019 sport 2.0 NA with the following mods: takeda intake, KTuner base map, rv6 catless downpipe. Before the downpipe my knock control was max .8 After the downpipe install and cruising from Houston to Austin at ~75 at 3k rpm I’m hitting knock control counts of 1.13
What do I do? Is this normal? I’m running lean at 7% LTFT

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Knock of 1.13 sounds high. I'm still new to this but from what I've read, anything over 0.70 is high and needs some adjustments to be made (different mods, different pump gas, etc)

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m running 93 exclusively. I’ve never had problems with knock control until the catless downpipe install

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
Do some data logs in highway cruising to see some parameters in your ecu an pm me when done.

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Christianjwong

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Yes for sure, any recently changes in your car?
And also I did switch gas I was using shells 92 nitro + or whatever(their prem.) But I never had the ability to watch my parameters I'm using Fremeyers 92...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You really should always use top tier gas. And if 92 is the most you can find, knock control will elevate a bit more under load and at high rpm. Do you have E85 available? Adding a gallon per tankful would help stabiliize knock control.
Sponsored