First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Questions about Knock control. Im runnning basemap 19.5/21.5 dual tune. .85 is the highest knock control that I have recorded. When going light on throttle or driving in traffic it will drop lower, but is .85 an acceptable number or should i strive to lower this number. Reading around, it seems below .6 is the number to shoot for. Is running .85 likely to cause damage or am i fine with that number?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Having higher knock control number like .85 doesn't equate to any sort of damage you could be doing to you engine. Higher numbers mean timing is getting retarded so you have less power. There are a lot of factors such as octane, IAT's and load that determine K control. It's bound to go up temporarily if you push the engine hard.

The real question is under normal driving, what's your knock control number? On 93 octane mine stays nice and low in the .49 range.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Having higher knock control number like .85 doesn't equate to any sort of damage you could be doing to you engine. Higher numbers mean timing is getting retarded so you have less power. There are a lot of factors such as octane, IAT's and load that determine K control. It's bound to go up temporarily if you push the engine hard.

The real question is under normal driving, what's your knock control number? On 93 octane mine stays nice and low in the .49 range.
Mine also stays steady at .49 under normal conditions/cruising on 91 octane @ 21 PSI tune

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got the Ktuner and had a full tank of 89 Octane in it, ill get 91 or 93 next time i fill up and see if that makes the difference. Also i will check back in with a normal drive without any hard accelerations.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I just got the Ktuner and had a full tank of 89 Octane in it, ill get 91 or 93 next time i fill up and see if that makes the difference. Also i will check back in with a normal drive without any hard accelerations.
That will definitely make a difference.

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That will definitely make a difference.
are there any negative side effects to mixing the octane levels? Like if i put 91 on top of the half tank of 89?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
are there any negative side effects to mixing the octane levels? Like if i put 91 on top of the half tank of 89?
Absolutely none.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Here recently I've had mine jumping all the way to .87ish in slow moving traffic. I also think IAT is a big factor bc when it was cooler I was always no higher than .55

Now that my IAT is easily 90°+ I get these random high jumps in knock

Also Sheetz 93 gas is terrible and I've had to use that lately so obviously could be the culprit aswell

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here recently I've had mine jumping all the way to .87ish in slow moving traffic. I also think IAT is a big factor bc when it was cooler I was always no higher than .55

Now that my IAT is easily 90°+ I get these random high jumps in knock

Also Sheetz 93 gas is terrible and I've had to use that lately so obviously could be the culprit aswell
Something to consider to stabilize K control for the warmer weather ahead:

www.civicx.com/threads/from-hondata-to-ktuner-the-ongoing-review.29033/page-4#post-532825

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I flashed Stage 0 last night, I've had numbers in the .70's when I give it more gas than normal. I have Shell 87 in it now which that tune is supposed to handle. I also have the check engine light on indicating an emissions problem. Any thoughts?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's the actual code you're throwing?

By the way, on a non-Si, hitting .7+ at high rpm on 87 is normal. It's the Honda built in artificial knock rise. There's now a disable for that in the software.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't gotten the code read yet. The car runs fine and I kinda thought the knock rise had something to do with it.

OP
OP
wmayhue

wmayhue

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the actual code you're throwing?

By the way, on a non-Si, hitting .7+ at high rpm on 87 is normal. It's the Honda built in artificial knock rise. There's now a disable for that in the software.
I'm with GTman on this, the .7 is a non issue considering its only under hard throttle and 87 octane. The actual code you're throwing is the real question.
Sponsored