Keyless Starter System Glitch? Car turning on by itself to accessory mode.

Tee

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
At first they didn’t really think it was the bcm until I told them about this thread and talked to one of the techs, the guys at the front were swearing I wasn’t putting it in park or had a spare key somewhere in the vehicle. Told them to go outside and try to put my car in park when they seen it’s a manual they got quiet real quick and got a technician
The BCM, stands for "Board Control Module" - similar to a PC desktop's motherboard?
If so, sounds like a bad mobo.... Please, let us know on this forum your result/findings and verdict - thanks!
I am currently experiencing this same issue with my 2017 Honda Civic. My car is self starting and the alarm is going off. In less than 24 hours, it has gone off 6 times while parked in my garage. I have to wait for Honda to open so I can take it in. It's a leased vehicle which I will definitely be turning in, in August.
Sponsored

jeeva86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Acura TL-S 6MT
Country flag
It seems like I have this exact problem on a 2017 that I just purchased from a 3rd party dealer. It’s out of Honda warranty but I could get a full refund on my car. I got the sgp so don’t want to give it up. Is the bcm swap an easy diy? Are there possibilities of this problem returning in the future with a new bcm or was a defect fixed after the 2017 model? I wish I seen this thread before getting the 2017 model.

thewizkid95

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma, 2022 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Been dealing with this issue as well for the past month on my 2017 Ext. Told the dealer about the symptoms and what I think the issue was and they ended up replacing the stop/start switch for about ~$450. Of course, a week later the alarm went off and the issue continued and now they want to charge me ~$600 more to replace the BCM. At what point should there be a recall for this?? Seems to happen way too often. My 17 barely has 40k miles, this is nuts

Scubapro07

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Country flag
I’m the latest victim of this issue. Diagnosed BCM on my 2017 CRV EX-L. $1100 fix out of warranty and now the part is on back order with no estimated arrival. How is this not a recall or campaign yet?

thewizkid95

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma, 2022 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Been dealing with this issue as well for the past month on my 2017 Ext. Told the dealer about the symptoms and what I think the issue was and they ended up replacing the stop/start switch for about ~$450. Of course, a week later the alarm went off and the issue continued and now they want to charge me ~$600 more to replace the BCM. At what point should there be a recall for this?? Seems to happen way too often. My 17 barely has 40k miles, this is nuts
Update: wow what a ride, but we are fixed now. The dealer escalated to Honda of America(?) and they agreed to pay 90% of the remaining costs. I ended up only paying ~$47 additional in the end after already paying for the start/stop switch.

The whole process took longer than I anticipated though. First, parts ordered the wrong BCM so the rear windows would not work. Then there was a backorder on the correct BCM. They offered then took back the offer to let me drive the car with the wrong BCM due to liability reasons until the new part came in. Once it came it it was replaced and all was good after both key fobs were paired, it's important they have both after replacing the BCM

This really would have been a pain if they didn't cover the rental this whole time. I gave them a lot of shit but they were reasonable along the way.

Last edited:

Scubapro07

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Country flag
Update: wow what a ride, but we are fixed now. The dealer escalated to Honda of America(?) and they agreed to pay 90% of the remaining costs. I ended up only paying ~$47 additional in the end after already paying for the start/stop switch.

The whole process took longer than I anticipated though. First, parts ordered the wrong BCM so the rear windows would not work. Then there was a backorder on the correct BCM. They offered then took back the offer to let me drive the car with the wrong BCM due to liability reasons until the new part came in. Once it came it it was replaced and all was good after both key fobs were paired, it's important they have both after replacing the BCM

This really would have been a pain if they didn't cover the rental this whole time. I gave them a lot of shit but they were reasonable along the way.
Glad to hear one of us is having some success. My Honda dealer has now moved the goalposts on me twice. Two delivery dates for my part have come and gone. They haven’t given me a loaner or offered any assistance with a rental. I’m at my wits end and even made a couple calls to some other services about cash offers for this car. They still won’t escalate it to Honda America about covering any of the cost either. Disappointed is an understatement at this point.

Kappa96

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Were you able to get it resolved by replacing the BCM? Did you end up having to pay? I just took my 2017 CRV for the same problem, all they did was replace the ignition button switch. Im expecting the problem to come back after reading this thread though.

Scubapro07

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CRV EX-L
Country flag
Were you able to get it resolved by replacing the BCM? Did you end up having to pay? I just took my 2017 CRV for the same problem, all they did was replace the ignition button switch. Im expecting the problem to come back after reading this thread though.
So we did get it resolved but I’ve had such a bad taste in my mouth I haven’t wanted to talk about it. After the run around from the local dealership our part finally made it after 28 days of being back ordered. The dealership offered us no loaner vehicle and refused to help us with the rental fee we incurred. We wound up paying around $950 out of pocket for the repair after a small discount for our troubles, and got no help from Honda America. After everything, the BCM replacement did fix our problems with the CRV. But it took quite a bit of convincing to get my wife to keep the car after it was fixed.

Kappa96

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for your reply, I’m going through the same hassle. The alarm keeps going off so I’m taking my car back in tomorrow.

Door103

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic, Car will trigger itself to start to accessory mode, turning on headlights, wipers (if switch is on), and sometimes triggering the alarm system when locked and armed. All scenarios tried below, vehicle will respond the same.

Honda Dealer unable to diagnose the issue. Diagnostics is convinced the issue is due to having both keyless fobs in the vehicle, but issue began 3 weeks and continued consistently prior to carrying the second key for backup assurance so I wouldnt't be stranded if it were a key issue

Variations tried to eliminate trigger, no differences occur - car SELF TRIGGERS TO ACCESSORY MODE.

--- 1 key in vehicle
--- 2 keys in vehicle
--- Both keys in vehicle, one with battery removed
--- Both keys in vehicle, both batteries removed
--- NO KEYS in vehicle (close proximity)
--- NO KEYS in vehicle (over 50 feet from vehicle, in the house)

Under all circumstance, vehicle responds the same, triggering on the electronic system of the vehicle without pressing the push to start. I am forced to disconnect battery so the vehicle battery does not die or trigger to sound the alarm system everyday or night while not supervising activity. Gotten stranded a few times, and had to jump the car.

Any insight? Comments? Suggestions?

Possible root causes, but not suspected by Honda dealer tech.

Ignition switch
Fuses
Keyless entry fobs
Wiring/connections

At my ends here, dealer had the vehicle for over 3 hours, no solution found.
2019 Honda civic ex I got 5 months ago from honda dealer 10k km. I've been having exact same problems you describe for a week now, how an what did honda replaced for fix this problem.

KNRogers22

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
Having the exact same issues with my 2015 Odyssey.

1 month ago, battery kept dying—assumed it was about time for a replacement so we replaced.

2 weeks ago alarm started going off at all hours of the day and night—disconnected hood latch. We had recently gotten an oil and transmission fluid service—so thought maybe something got messed with by mistake.

1 week ago—woke up to dead battery with repetitive “clicking” noise as if start button was being pushed. Thought maybe the kids left something on. Jump started no problem.

3 days ago several warnings start sporadically coming on instrument panel (check emission, Lane Departure malfunction, Forward collision malfunction etc). They don’t come on every time I start the vehicle.

Last night-arrived home, pushed stop button to turn off car...as I was collecting my things instrument panel and all lights including headlights and taillights stared coming off and on like they were possessed. This happened about 6 times in 30min.

This seems like a common problem, why is there no recall?

Calling the mechanic tomorrow—luckily got the spasming lights on video. Car is out of warranty—wonder if there’s any chance dealer will cover it.

Attachments

Door103

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic ex
Country flag

1 month ago, battery kept dying—assumed it was about time for a replacement so we replaced.

2 weeks ago alarm started going off at all hours of the day and night—disconnected hood latch. We had recently gotten an oil and transmission fluid service—so thought maybe something got messed with by mistake.

1 week ago—woke up to dead battery with repetitive “clicking” noise as if start button was being pushed. Thought maybe the kids left something on. Jump started no problem.

3 days ago several warnings start sporadically coming on instrument panel (check emission, Lane Departure malfunction, Forward collision malfunction etc). They don’t come on every time I start the vehicle.

Last night-arrived home, pushed stop button to turn off car...as I was collecting my things instrument panel and all lights including headlights and taillights stared coming off and on like they were possessed. This happened about 6 times in 30min.

Calling the mechanic tomorrow—luckily got the spasming lights on video. Car is out of warranty—wonder if there’s any chance dealer will cover it.
If it's under factory warranty honda will replace the electrical control module or board control module and it will fix the problem, I just got my fix.

Bresnyder1974

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Crv
Country flag

Did you ever get a fix for this? Was it the BCM? My 2018 CRV started doing this exact same thing this weekend. Got it to the dealership and they believe it's the Keyless Access Control Unit. $729 to replace but it's on back order.

As of now, I have it hooked up to a battery tender so it does not drain it all the way.

justinflo200

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I've been having the same issue since June. Finally took it in during September, but they couldn't diagnose it cuz they couldn't duplicate the issue, but I told them I think it is the BCM so they ordered it for me. Now I am playing the waiting game...Pretty much have to jump my car everyday cuz of this issue. I've attached a video link of my issue...it's pretty much the same as everyone else here, but alarm or headlights don't go off, just interior dash lights. Video link>>>

bradk14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Touring
Country flag
Just signed up to chime in. Appears to be happening to my 2017 Civic EX-T (just shy of 71K miles) as well. It's been going on for a couple of months as I look back, but it appears to be more prominent within the past couple of weeks (oddly enough, it's been raining a lot here too lately).

Basically when the battery isn't already drained, I walked in on the car with all lights on (set to automatic, but in the garage in the early morning). I can't say it's in accessory mode, there's the buffering symbol on the dash and it takes 3 or so presses to turn off). Recently the alarm went off, 3x within 10 minutes. I ran the car for about 10 minutes after turning it completely on and it seemed to behave after that, but then the alarm went off again early the next morning. I've subsequently prevented the car from auto-locking when in the garage. Also, recently, it started telling me the key fob battery was low, even after I replaced it. That did go away eventually.

Dropped it off this morning at the dealer. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored