Keyless remote battery low

KMaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Had my Civic for ~2 years now and I am getting a message about keyless remote battery low. Is this normal so early in the cars life? Would a get a free battery change under factory warranty (or my extended technology warranty)? How hard is it to replace yourself?
Sponsored

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
Literally just did this myself last week ^ it's super easy!

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Literally just did this myself last week ^ it's super easy!
I took mine apart right after getting the car to see how fiddly it is to do. It is not hard but the buttons and the electronics board might come off their guide pins so just be sure everything is lined up when you go to close it all up again.

The battery is a CR2032. Just get a good branded one with a best before/use by date that is far out and you should get at least a couple years again. Note that these keyless fobs in cars with them are pretty chatty with the car when they are nearby/in them so a cheap dollar store battery will likely not last as long. I put an Energizer brand one in my fob and it is almost 2 years old and no message yet. (I think I changed it 3 weeks after I bought the car.)

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Yeah it’s quite normal. Look up videos online on how to replace the battery. It’s very easy and it’s not a warranty item. So just do it in your your as your dealer may try and cleave you if you go into to the dealer for just that

TheWalkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many
Country flag
Very easy to change the battery. No programming necessary.

Compare that to my last Audi: I changed the battery and the car wouldn’t start. The owner’s manual had no instructions on reprogramming the fob. I still had the free Audi Assist (On Star). I buzzed them up and their response was to have the car TOWED to the dealership. Not.

Did some quick googling and as it turns out, to reprogram and Audi key, you insert it into the door lock, turn right then left. Voila! Done.

I’m not expecting the Audi operator to walk me thru an engine rebuild but explaining this key programming procedure seems do-able.

Shame on Audi!

SuXlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17CivicEXT
Country flag
Caraddict has a video on YouTube just did this yesterday. Easy
Sponsored