Keyless entry does not work if key fob not used within 60 sec prior

zaidred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
Walking up to the car and putting hand behind the door handle does not unlock the car. However if I use the lock button on the key fob and then use the door handle sensor, then car unlocks perfectly fine. It works as long as the key fob had been used at max under 60 seconds prior to using the door handle sensor. After that its as if the sensor goes to sleep.

Someone describes it better here (image below): https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t69376_ds754318

Honda Civic 10th gen Keyless entry does not work if key fob not used within 60 sec prior Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 4.41.27 PM

My question is: Is anyone aware of any TSB's regarding this issue? Or has someone had this problem before and what was the solution?

I've made an appointment with the dealer in 5 days. I have extended warranty so hopefully this can be covered in that.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I had intermittent issues with keyless entry not working, new battery in key fob fixed it for me.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had this happen twice in 4 years of ownership. Both time, disconnecting the car battery, waiting a minute and reconnecting fixed the problem. Seems like the proximity key system needs a reset every year or two.

OP
OP
zaidred

zaidred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
Update: Tech re-programmed the system and it works for now. still had to pay $70 for the whole thing even with extended warranty. I'll be speaking to Honda Canada about it.
Sponsored