Keyfob signal blocking case/pouch

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Does any of you use successfully a case/pouch that shields the Civic X keyfob from external RF except when being close (near the door lock or inside the car)?
I saw on Amazon/reviews a couple of models, highly rated but for some car models do not work. What works well for Civic X?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blaaz

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 Dr EX-T
Country flag
I put my fob in a mylar bag when not in use. Fob stays in my pocket when I drive the car.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
what is the purpose?
To keep a thief from boosting the key signal to allow them access into the car. Once inside they could possibly program a blank key, and drive off.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I don't think a pouch that allows any signal through is a good investment. If you have a pouch that attenuates the signal and it only works within 5 feet of the car, what's stopping the thief from standing on the other side of the wall where you keep the pouch and amplifying the signal?

The only effective bag is a faraday bag that totally blocks the signal. They are cheap and easy to find.

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
so your signal can't be boosted to steal the car without the "key". when i get home i put the fob in the bag. i've walked right up to the car with it in the bag- nothing will open. mainly for peace of mind. i was carjacked last year for this car....

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
To keep a thief from boosting the key signal to allow them access into the car. Once inside they could possibly program a blank key, and drive off.
o_Oo_O

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You all missed the point of the OP - he wants a signal attenuating bag, not a faraday bag.

He wants to be able to keep the key in the bag so the key only works if you're close to the car.

That's how the entire keyless system works in the first place. Also like I said before it doesn't stop a thief from standing on the other side of the wall from the bag and amplifying it.

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
Or maybe the OP simply misunderstood what someone else told them to initiate the question. I don't think we missed the point, but thanks for mansplaining lol

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Or maybe the OP simply misunderstood what someone else told them to initiate the question. I don't think we missed the point, but thanks for mansplaining lol
And you suggested something the OP didn't ask for.

Faraday bags are easy to find. You think if the OP wanted a Faraday bag they would have had to ask for help?

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
Indeed I did. It doesn't bother me though, and since the OP has yet to respond, it may not bother them either. Sorry it bothered you.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
what is the purpose?
This was on another thread -
Here's how they steal a car that has the passive keyless entry system. It's called the relay attack method.
https://hackaday.com/2017/04/27/stealing-cars-for-20-bucks/

Take a look at the video. Run in for a cup of coffee & come out & your car is gone.
https://jalopnik.com/chinese-hackers-show-how-to-steal-your-car-with-20-of-1794757093

You can disable the PKE in some cars, but there is no way to disable this on the Civic
Sponsored