First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife has a Prius and if her key fob stops working because the battery dies, you can hold the key fob right in front of the engine start/stop button and your car should turn on. The hidden key will get you in the car; the key fob will start the car.

Unless this trick only works for Toyota vehicles. Not sure.
Yep, same principle should apply for all push button start systems, our Civics included.

The thought/slight paranoia of getting randomly locked out of the car prompted me to watch tutorials a while back.
Sponsored

pqt2016civic

First Name
Quang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Bought my car used and it come only with 1 key. So I order 2 blank one on ebay for $40 each. Had a local Locksmith guy come by the office to cut and program both for $100. He did charge sale tax. So the total come out around $190 for 2 keys. Mine has remote start also and both new keys working fine. I tested other function like opening front windows (those with Auto) and work just fine.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
This is also true for the Civic X.
The buttons on my fob for the wife's Rogue started acting up about 18 months in. Changing the battery would fix it for a month or so, then same problem. Last time even changing the battery wouldn't work. So I held the damn thing up to the start button for the better part part of two years. And unlocked with the key when I was by myself. Called for a replacement cost the day we traded it in for the CRV, and Nissan wanted something close to $300.

OP
OP

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
What happens when the battery completely dies...you cannot start the car...correct?

I guess you're walking lol
You could, you need to hold the key really close to the Start/Stop button. I think there is an section in owners manual that cover it.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
I had an extra CR2032 at home so swapped it out and back to normal now.

I noticed when locking the car, there's not even a beep due to the fob battery being so low.
If you don't hear a beep when locking your car, that's NOT a key fob problem. The key fob NEVER beeps. It's the car that beeps.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
I just got the same warning and replaced the batteries on both of my fobs. It's a 2032. Pop the key out and use it to pry the two halves apart from the top, in between the tabs that allow barely enough room for the key.
Does this apply to the '17 Hatchback as well? My fob:

Honda Civic 10th gen Key fob replacement 2017-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-Touring-key-fob

joe2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just got the same warning and replaced the batteries on both of my fobs. It's a 2032. Pop the key out and use it to pry the two halves apart from the top, in between the tabs that allow barely enough room for the key.
Hi,
Did you replace the battery the same day or did you use the same battery for a few days after the warning message came on?
Also, once you put in the new 2032, did you have to do any calibration/reset (like how we do once we fill in air to the tire)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
BIG difference in price between DEALER and LOCKSMITH programming you a replacement or additional spare key. (No surprise there).

Got to wonder how much a Dealer would charge for just putting a new battery in your Fob.

The Local Jewellery Stores around here typically will put a new battery in your watch for FREE, not even charging for the battery. (not so easy for watch owner, without the right tool).

The Honda Fob opens easily .. like a 30 second replacement !!

JonathanBennett

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
Absolutely correct, huge difference between the price of a locksmith and the dealer. So, it's better to hire a consider a locksmith for key fob replacement.

Mauricewhite

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Country flag
BIG difference in price between DEALER and LOCKSMITH programming you a replacement or additional spare key. (No surprise there).

Got to wonder how much a Dealer would charge for just putting a new battery in your Fob.

The Local Jewellery Stores around here typically will put a new battery in your watch for FREE, not even charging for the battery. (not so easy for watch owner, without the right tool).

The Honda Fob opens easily .. like a 30 second replacement !!
Not at all jewellery stores doesn't provide batteries of the fob, here it will be available only at local auto locksmith store or at the dealership. An emergency locksmith near me has replaced fob batteries two days ago.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Do they need to pull the ECU and/or do re-wiring to program the new fob? Or is this all thru ODB-II?

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Hi,

I lost one of my keyfob (keyless access with remote start). My car is 16' EX-L sedan. Where can I get a replacement for decent price other than dealer?
You can buy third party fobs but it has to be encoded at the dealer as far as I know. Some older fobs can be encoded by the other fob, but Honda made it quite clear you cold only replace it through Honda and it was expensive AF, so don't lose it, drop it, etc.

But you did. Sorry 'bout that. Just get a genuine replacement and don't lose it again. That's my best advice.

CaneMartine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
Once you have got the replacement either from the dealer or from a locksmith, don't lose that new key so that you will not have to face the issue.
Sponsored