Key Fob Issues

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I know, right? Plus I got the ceramic tint which does not interfere at all with radio frequency. I'll call a few other dealerships tomorrow. If they can't fix this it'll be my first and last honda. Other people on this/other forums are having the same issue with their dealership.The toyota dealer near me always took care of me in the past.
I'm young so dealerships always treat me like shit lol I hate going to mine. The service department really knows their stuff but I just feel super uncomfortable ever going so I don't ever go there for service unless I have to. They were great the last time I went (today) but I still felt out of place.

Still, it's better than the Toyota dealership near me. It's been so long I don't even remember what they did to piss me off but I'll never go back. I wouldn't blame the company, though. Most dealerships take the easy route when it comes to fixes/warranty aka things that won't make them money. I work in car audio and dealerships blame everything on our aftermarket work. I had a customer one time come to us saying their dealership said our installed device was causing the climate control to not work (which is almost always never the case especially if it's already been in the car for years) so we took a look, and we found a rodent had ate some wiring in the engine compartment. Basically, the dealership saw our component, and used it as a scape goat to not even look further.

It's not a commission thing, I'll bet it's a numbers thing. It looks better to the owner/other sources if they do less work and make more money. Or maybe they're just lazy. it's all on a case by case basis. Basically, the best thing you could do, is remove all components from the car, and tell them it's still going on. Show them. But you're in a better spot going to another dealership, cause if another dealership does fix your issue in their eyes they've essentially gained another customer (oil changes and all that). Cause I sure as hell wouldn't return to the other one.

And one thing, DO NOT mention us. Dealerships hate car websites I swear lol. I posted on here a long time ago when I first got my touring cause it had a catastrophic failure. Somebody who just made an account posted on the the thread basically calling me an idiot saying it was all my fault and in the end it was something from the factory. Definitely was somebody from my dealer lmao. Bet they felt great after that ;).

Anyways, unnecessarily long post w/ an unnecessary explanation as to why my dealer makes me uncomfortable hahaha.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
When you don't have tinted windows then wireless signals can at go through the glass windows. People have put on metallic tints on their car to discover reduced radio and key fob reception.
Metallic tint makes sense. But if the unit (and its is antenna) is underneath the steering wheel then there's a lot more factors than the tint. Luckily our antenna is on the roof and not attached to the window like some cars. I'll bet it's not though, I bet it's up in the headliner (antenna only). OP, I know you said you got ceramic tint, but did you tint the windshield?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Did you guys get your issues fixed? I been having the same issue for a few months. Went to the dealer and they kept giving me bullshit reason as to why I lost a lot of range (window tint, dashcam, sub/amp) Then the service manager said it was normal until a salesmen walked by and over heard our conversation. Told me he had the same civic and he is able to start the car over 200ft. I can't even start the car over 30ft.
Not trying to defend the service department.

Any electric powered device can emit RFI interference. It's basically a cloud of electro-magnetic noise that can obscure a radio signal similar to the way a dust cloud would obscure a person's vision of something on the other side. As was stated earlier; disconnect that stuff (even standby can cause RFI) to rule it out completely.

As we get more and more wireless in general; we're using higher and higher UHF radio frequencies. The higher ones are more sensitive to physical obstructions that the lower ones in stuff that we've been using for decades (like garage door openers). And it's not just physical blocking of signals. When they start to bounce off of things (and they don't have to be metallic); we get multi-path results where the same signal arrives at the destination at slightly different times. Back in the analog days; this just meant 'ghosting'. But you could still make out the intended signal (think shadows and ghosting on TV). But with a digital signal; the receiver just gets a completely nonsensical message. This is why digital tv signals just freeze and cut out rather than 'ghost' or just deteriorate like in the old days.

So if we change the surroundings of that signal path *at all*; it's possible to screw it up.

I've read other Honda forums where it's stated in the manual that the keyless range is different than the remote start range.

I'm not a fan of all this complicated and integrated stuff in our cars. But there may be *some* truth to what the service department is saying; even if they are misrepresenting it or not completely understanding it.

And I'm not a M.I.T grad or anything. Just trying to help ya' get it resolved. Good luck.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Already tried replacing the battery on both key fob. I could understand if it was something I installed if it caused problems within a couple weeks after install but I am talking about having all these things install over a year ago and now just having problems with the signal now.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My Sensing camera failed in my 2019 Sport earlier this year. The tech refused to even scan for codes until I disconnected all my radio and dashcam stuff. I was pissed off; but I realized that this was their protocol. Of course; my stuff had nothing to do with anything.

I see other forums where folks talk about having their door handles replaced. Is that the location of the receiver antenna?
Sponsored