Key Fob Issues

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Lately the connection between my keyfob and my car has been weak.
Remote start range is basically nothing.
I’ve had the car ask me to put the key fob over the push button start because it couldn’t locate it that close.
Touching the handle to unlock has been hit or miss.

Typically that means it’s time for a battery change. Changed to a fresh lithium 2032.
Issues persist.
Changed to my other key fob with a fresh battery.
Issues still persist.
So now I’m stretching my head a bit.

Starting to wonder if the issue could be with the car.

The other option is that maybe the Tile tracker I keep attached to the fob is causing some level of interference but I lack information if the way the two communicate could potentially interfere with each other.

Anyone’s input would be appreciated.
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
WARRANTY!
If its still valid, bring to a dealer and save yourself some cabeza-ache.

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I have no issue taking things to the dealer. But dealers vs intermittent issues bring their own cabeza-ache. If the fob had died entirely Id just go to the dealer.

I’d prefer to have ruled out certain scenarios first in this case.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I have no issue taking things to the dealer. But dealers vs intermittent issues bring their own cabeza-ache. If the fob had died entirely Id just go to the dealer.

I’d prefer to have ruled out certain scenarios first in this case.
Yes, I agree.
But I do like free things! :)

Last edited:

jms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring Coupe, '21 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
When the battery on my key fob was low my car told me the battery was low on the dash screen

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
That I’ve never seen.
US Model?
Should be on all models, my 2015 Civic told me when the key fob battery was low and my sister's 16 Civic did the same.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Sounds like the issue may be with the car. Goto the dealer if still under warranty

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Did you guys get your issues fixed? I been having the same issue for a few months. Went to the dealer and they kept giving me bullshit reason as to why I lost a lot of range (window tint, dashcam, sub/amp) Then the service manager said it was normal until a salesmen walked by and over heard our conversation. Told me he had the same civic and he is able to start the car over 200ft. I can't even start the car over 30ft.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Did you guys get your issues fixed? I been having the same issue for a few months. Went to the dealer and they kept giving me bullshit reason as to why I lost a lot of range (window tint, dashcam, sub/amp) Then the service manager said it was normal until a salesmen walked by and over heard our conversation. Told me he had the same civic and he is able to start the car over 200ft. I can't even start the car over 30ft.
Unplug the dashcam. disconnect the sub/amp from the battery. Roll the windows down. Show the dealer it happening and ask them how interference can be caused by inactive components.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Sigh.... such a damn hassle... Hate going to the dealership... I unplugged the dashcam and rolled down the window and still the same. They said the receiver is underneath and left of the steering wheel. They wouldn't look at it to see if there was anything wrong with it saying it would take a long time and would have to charge me a labor fee. I even fb messaged honda HQ and they said to just take it to a different dealership. I honesty feel like they would tell me the same bs story and waste the 45min drive (one way) to the nearest out of town honda dealership.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Sigh.... such a damn hassle... Hate going to the dealership... I unplugged the dashcam and rolled down the window and still the same. They said the receiver is underneath and left of the steering wheel. They wouldn't look at it to see if there was anything wrong with it saying it would take a long time and would have to charge me a labor fee. I even fb messaged honda HQ and they said to just take it to a different dealership. I honesty feel like they would tell me the same bs story and waste the 45min drive (one way) to the nearest out of town honda dealership.
I'm sorry in what world does tint have a greater affect on radio frequencies than metal? I sell remote starts that can literally transmit accurately from a mile away through buildings. I'm sorry you have such a shitty dealership. Definitely take it to a different one. Otherwise, you'll have to persist with your current one. You could also write the owner of the dealership but the employees of dealerships can be little ****ers and treat you differently afterwards. Last time I checked no warranty check is ever charged for.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
I know, right? Plus I got the ceramic tint which does not interfere at all with radio frequency. I'll call a few other dealerships tomorrow. If they can't fix this it'll be my first and last honda. Other people on this/other forums are having the same issue with their dealership.The toyota dealer near me always took care of me in the past.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I'm sorry in what world does tint have a greater affect on radio frequencies than metal? I sell remote starts that can literally transmit accurately from a mile away through buildings. I'm sorry you have such a shitty dealership. Definitely take it to a different one. Otherwise, you'll have to persist with your current one. You could also write the owner of the dealership but the employees of dealerships can be little ****ers and treat you differently afterwards. Last time I checked no warranty check is ever charged for.
When you don't have tinted windows then wireless signals can at go through the glass windows. People have put on metallic tints on their car to discover reduced radio and key fob reception.

I know, right? Plus I got the ceramic tint which does not interfere at all with radio frequency. I'll call a few other dealerships tomorrow. If they can't fix this it'll be my first and last honda. Other people on this/other forums are having the same issue with their dealership.The toyota dealer near me always took care of me in the past.
I would try buying a new coin battery from a local retail store. I have purchased coin batteries from Amazon only to find out they don't have much juice.
Sponsored