Key fob battery life

dash-dot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Hi,
I was wondering what the general life expectancy might be for the key fob battery. My car is a 2016 EX 2.0 L with Honda Sensing, purchased in November 2015.

I ask because I'm about to install my third battery in less than 3 years, which seems to me like it might be a problem. Incidentally, my wife keeps the spare key and uses it relatively often (though it's not used as frequently as mine, obviously), and that one is still going strong with the OEM / dealer supplied battery.

One possible issue might have to do with periodic polling to locate the fob and wait for inputs, especially if it never goes out of range of the vehicle. Ever since I bought this car, I've been parking it less than 50 feet from my work desk pretty much every single day, so maybe that's why my batteries die so quickly.

I would appreciate any suggestions to extend the battery life save for purchasing a replacement fob--I'll bet it costs an arm and a leg. Maybe I ought to start by swapping keys with my wife to see if that helps.

Thanks!
Sponsored

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I end up replacing mine a bit more often than once a year as soon as i notice the range starting to drop and the walk away lock become less consistent.

I think you can just barely squeeze in the larger capacity battery of the same size.

So for whatever my two cents are worth I don’t think anually is problematic.