Key fob and blade stopped working, HELP!

JakeRogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
Country flag
Tonight I came up to the car and the hazard lights were on but they weren’t blinking. It was very strange. I tried to unlock the doors with the fob but no command was received by the vehicle. I pulled the key blade out and tried it in the driver door, still no luck. I assumed I had a dead fob so I tried the other fob, but exact same problem!

I replaced the battery in both fobs, no difference. The hazard lights are off so I assumed dead battery but the red security light in the dash still blinks like normal, and besides, the blades should work with a dead battery.

I’m at a complete loss on what ti do. 2016 Civic Sedan EX. It’s in an apartment building garage so getting a tow will be a nightmare.

HELP!
Sponsored

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
This has happened to me twice where the fob would not work. The key worked for me though, and as soon as I used the key in the door, the fob worked. I also had a dead battery and the key still worked.

I don't understand how a physical key would not work. I'm going to ask just as a troubleshooting step, don't feel like I think you're an idiot: did you try turning the key in both directions?

OP
OP
JakeRogue

JakeRogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
Country flag
Yea I tried both directions, even turning and holding in both directions for 30 seconds. I’m genuinely stumped. Neither key blade works.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Yea I tried both directions, even turning and holding in both directions for 30 seconds. I’m genuinely stumped. Neither key blade works.
Is it the original battery? Do you know the health of the battery (i.e. has it been tested recently)? If you can jimmy your way into the car (like with a metal coat hanger to flip the lock) and get the battery charged up, that is the only thing I could think of right now.

Police departments will help people get in their vehicles and they have the correct tools - most people don't realize this. They can be less responsive than a locksmith (I suppose that's why people prefer to pay $50 to the locksmith rather than waiting on the police).

OP
OP
JakeRogue

JakeRogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
Country flag
Drove the car yesterday and it starts right up, no hesitation so I am assuming the battery is in good condition. That’s my last resort to call police/locksmith. I fear that with both key blades not working, there could be some sort of immobilizer issue?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Drove the car yesterday and it starts right up, no hesitation so I am assuming the battery is in good condition. That’s my last resort to call police/locksmith. I fear that with both key blades not working, there could be some sort of immobilizer issue?
Only Canadian models have an immobilizer based on what I've read in the owners and service manuals.

With my issue, once the door opened the fob worked. Your issue may be the same, or not. You'll need to get in the vehicle regardless of what happens (even if you decide to get a tow). Get in the vehicle and see what you can do. I know when the fob battery is dead and you need to start the vehicle, you press and hold the fob against the start button (I think there's a NFC chip in the fob). Maybe that would work the same if your transponder in the car isn't working. Maybe the smart entry fuse is blown? It should be #30 in the interior fuse box (by the driver foot well).

Honda Civic 10th gen Key fob and blade stopped working, HELP! 1641873367993

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
There's been more that one situation here where the mechanical linkage on the lock wasn't connected or had become disconnected from the handle/lever.

Maybe let the car go into sleep mode and then try to open the trunk with the fob. That should give you access to the passenger compartment.

Just thinking out loud. Fingers crossed for ya'/

Nemesai285

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Yea the trunk would be the good choice too. Still sounds like a near dead car battery, just not enough volts for mechanical use. Sucks they didn't make more than 1 key slots for the doors/trunk.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Nothing yet. Going to call a locksmith today to get in and then disconnect battery for 30 min. I’ve called dealerships and they just say, “bring it in”
Figures... Hope you get it figured out. Let us know. I've got access to the service manual and have been looking through it trying to help. If you need any more info, let me know.

KingsleyGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Country flag
After hiring a locksmith, did you get those key blades fixed or not?

OP
OP
JakeRogue

JakeRogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
Country flag
Yes thank you for asking and I apologize for not updating the thread. Called a locksmith, they came with an inflatable balloon type tool and it opened the door right up. As soon as I was inside, I just placed the fob next to the Start/Stop Button, and the car started right up. Then the car responded to all fob commands, and the key blades work in the doors again. I have no clue what happened but the locksmith suggestion was great and it only cost me like $50 and 10 minutes of time so I'd say it was worth it.
Sponsored