Kept the CTR and bought a REAL American muscle car too!

OP
OP
d15b7

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
Very nice, what a beast :headbang:

I had a 2017 ZL1 prior to trading it for my Z06. Mine had the optional Krypton Green paint and it was always crackin necks. This was my first taste of the LT4 and I have to say, Chevy got me hooked :yes:

or46pDKm.jpg

Z6D8DMsm.jpg

cx7eQ5bm.jpg
wow I've never seen that color either! that color screams 'get outta my way!!!' :)

OP
OP
d15b7

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is the weight? I imagine the RX7 was more of a power build compared to yours, I mean 450 whp is nothing to scoff at nonetheless.

I want to eventually get a second Civic for this exact purpose, completely stripped and just a modified monster chasing time trials.
my EG with me in it weighs in around 2400 lbs. the FD with the LS3 weighs in around 2700 lbs and he makes around 530 whp. he's fast real fast.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
wow I've never seen that color either! that color screams 'get outta my way!!!' :)
I’ve got the Camaro production counts for 2017 buried somewhere but I think there were only a couple hundred built with Krypton Green paint. I can truthfully say I’ve never seen another one in that color since. Several RS/SS variants but never a ZL1. Wish I could have kept it to go along with the Z06 but couldn’t come up with the extra funds at the time.

Would love to hear your thoughts after you rack up some more miles and how it compares to your R. I picked up my R last month and just passed the break-in period. So far it’s been everything I thought it would be plus more. Really loving it.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
thanks man! that's how I look at it too; the Type R is sort of JDM FWD muscle. the two cars sit side by side and they are sort of complimentary to each other; the best of the FWD chassis engineering vs the best of the RWD chassis engineering. I can't ever see myself selling the CTR I enjoy it too much. and sort of the same for the ZL1 1LE. theres not much like it out there (either car)
In my garage sits a 2018 CW CTR and a 2005 Rio Yellow Pearl S2000. Though the latter is not muscle, I too feel the joy of shifting from the best FWD to the best RWD chassis and viceversa.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Always loved the look of this gen Camaro. I had a Z28 back in '84, but that car was a dog compared to these babies. My only gripe on with the new ones would be outward visibility really. If I lived in a place where I could either have a RWD car year-round, or had an extra garage and the wherewithal to have a second, summer-only car, I'd definitely consider the Chevy. But I'd still probably buy a Mustang--always was a Ford guy :).

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
beautiful car OP and rare is an understatement (I ran a chevy store and have seen MAYBE 2 in that spec)

OP
OP
d15b7

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Always loved the look of this gen Camaro. I had a Z28 back in '84, but that car was a dog compared to these babies. My only gripe on with the new ones would be outward visibility really. If I lived in a place where I could either have a RWD car year-round, or had an extra garage and the wherewithal to have a second, summer-only car, I'd definitely consider the Chevy. But I'd still probably buy a Mustang--always was a Ford guy :).
hey there! thanks for the comment - I was told to beware of the visibility issues; but for me (I'm 5'-11" and 185lbs) it turned out to be a non issue. I felt very comfy driving it, and I had to drive it home from NJ in fairly heavy traffic (it's NOT a good car for that lol). it comes standard with all kinds of parking sensors and blind spot monitoring systems (and a really great backup camera system) so all those help greatly (my '18 CTR has none of those except for the rear camera). but ya that huge rear wing definitely bisects the rear view LOL!

I really looked HARD at buying a '20 GT350R. I liked the look and LOVED the sound of the Voodoo (my LT4 sounds fantastic but the Voodoo at full song, especially from the inside of the cabin when driving it, sounds AMAZINGGGGGG). but in terms of actual performance? the ZLE basically destroys the GT350R in every category. completely. and dealers were marking up the '20 Rs and absolutely would not deal at all on them (it was going to cost me $10k more to buy the inferior (in my eyes) GT350R). also there are some reliability issues concerning the Voodoo motor (Ford says those have been 'fixed' for '19-'20) but that worried me some. and again there is no comparison when you step on the GO pedal. the ZLE just says 'bye bye bye bye' to the GT350R. lastly I personally thought that the ZL1 1LE just looked 'badder ass' and it's definitely harder core and single minded (and rarer). check out the link below for the Car and Driver Lightning Laps for most performance cars over the last 15 years or so. the ZLE is way way up in the standings (and is *barely* into the LL3 category pricewise; in reality there is no way that the GT350R is in LL2 they cost way more than that). look how much faster the ZLE is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

the only Ford Mustang that can compete with the ZLE in real life is the GT500 Carbon Track Pack, and it was 1/2 sec faster per lap. BUT -- that is a VERY expensive car (you're looking at $110-$125k+) which is totally out of my price range. and lastly, I wanted a manual trans. you can't get manual with the GT500; it's only available with DCT trans. I wanted a manual and that wasn't up for discussion (at least for me!).

OP
OP
d15b7

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
beautiful car OP and rare is an understatement (I ran a chevy store and have seen MAYBE 2 in that spec)
thanks man! the little boutique performance car dealership I bought it from (it was the owner's personal car, he bought it new last June) told me it was one of 8 ZL1 1 LE in Rally Green Metallic for 2020. I'm not sure where that number came from, but as you said, it seems to be a exceedingly rare color for a ZLE. that surprises me cause I personally think it looks freaking amazing in this color scheme, but I guess it's not a traditional 'racy' color for a pony car, so maybe?

bluebluemike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan MT
Country flag
thanks man! the little boutique performance car dealership I bought it from (it was the owner's personal car, he bought it new last June) told me it was one of 8 ZL1 1 LE in Rally Green Metallic for 2020. I'm not sure where that number came from, but as you said, it seems to be a exceedingly rare color for a ZLE. that surprises me cause I personally think it looks freaking amazing in this color scheme, but I guess it's not a traditional 'racy' color for a pony car, so maybe?
It's definitely a rare color, here in Texas (Houston and Dallas based) I see ZL1's on the road all the time, at the strip and tracks even more, and at car shows even more so. I've seen upwards of 50/60 ZL1 1LE's and didn't even know they made them in this color. It's a stunning color.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
hey there! thanks for the comment - I was told to beware of the visibility issues; but for me (I'm 5'-11" and 185lbs) it turned out to be a non issue. I felt very comfy driving it, and I had to drive it home from NJ in fairly heavy traffic (it's NOT a good car for that lol). it comes standard with all kinds of parking sensors and blind spot monitoring systems (and a really great backup camera system) so all those help greatly (my '18 CTR has none of those except for the rear camera). but ya that huge rear wing definitely bisects the rear view LOL!

I really looked HARD at buying a '20 GT350R. I liked the look and LOVED the sound of the Voodoo (my LT4 sounds fantastic but the Voodoo at full song, especially from the inside of the cabin when driving it, sounds AMAZINGGGGGG). but in terms of actual performance? the ZLE basically destroys the GT350R in every category. completely. and dealers were marking up the '20 Rs and absolutely would not deal at all on them (it was going to cost me $10k more to buy the inferior (in my eyes) GT350R). also there are some reliability issues concerning the Voodoo motor (Ford says those have been 'fixed' for '19-'20) but that worried me some. and again there is no comparison when you step on the GO pedal. the ZLE just says 'bye bye bye bye' to the GT350R. lastly I personally thought that the ZL1 1LE just looked 'badder ass' and it's definitely harder core and single minded (and rarer). check out the link below for the Car and Driver Lightning Laps for most performance cars over the last 15 years or so. the ZLE is way way up in the standings (and is *barely* into the LL3 category pricewise; in reality there is no way that the GT350R is in LL2 they cost way more than that). look how much faster the ZLE is:

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

the only Ford Mustang that can compete with the ZLE in real life is the GT500 Carbon Track Pack, and it was 1/2 sec faster per lap. BUT -- that is a VERY expensive car (you're looking at $110-$125k+) which is totally out of my price range. and lastly, I wanted a manual trans. you can't get manual with the GT500; it's only available with DCT trans. I wanted a manual and that wasn't up for discussion (at least for me!).
Oh, I don't doubt you on the performance stuff. All of that is way above my needs, though! I really wanted a Bullitt Mustang, and the new Mach 1 is about the same; that would be fine for my needs. Your Camaro is brutal overkill for me, though it's super impressive. If I was going for the Chevy it'd be somewhat down tier from that.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
God that color is awesome. Makes me wish I could justify a car like that. Unfortunately my fun car also needs to occasionally function as a family car, so CTR it is for me.
Sponsored