Keep RSX or trade for HB Sport?

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
Our 19 year old RSX has been a great car but recently had to replace radiator last year & alternator a week ago.
Luckily when alt crapped out wifey was still able to make it to work without getting stranded.
With 11 gen around the corner, I’m thinking the style will be less attractive but don’t really know.
What’s you advice folks? Keep the RSX until wheels fall off or trade up for a pretty blue hatch?
I’m a mechanic (not by trade) so the RSX has never seen the shop but at 56, I’m getting too old to crawl around on the garage floor for major maintenance. The alternator was a PITA to change.
Thoughts!
Thx in advance peeps
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our 19 year old RSX has been a great car but recently had to replace radiator last year & alternator a week ago.
Luckily when alt crapped out wifey was still able to make it to work without getting stranded.
With 11 gen around the corner, I’m thinking the style will be less attractive but don’t really know.
What’s you advice folks? Keep the RSX until wheels fall off or trade up for a pretty blue hatch?
I’m a mechanic (not by trade) so the RSX has never seen the shop but at 56, I’m getting too old to crawl around on the garage floor for major maintenance. The alternator was a PITA to change.
Thoughts!
Thx in advance peeps

You have a CTR, so this is for your wife? I suspect you'd probably be better off asking her what SHE wants, not what we think you should get. Obviously we are very biased people who want you to get the hatch. I love my hatch. I was hauling 2x4's yesterday. haha

Honda Civic 10th gen Keep RSX or trade for HB Sport? IMG_4058

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
19 years is a hell of a long time to keep a car. Time to treat your wife, get the new one.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
IMHO, if you have spare money, I would get a new car and retire the DC5 RSX espcially you’re getting older.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Trade it before you've got nothing to trade. The 11th gen could have tons of problems, but we've just about figured out all the 10th gen issues.

OP
OP
flacobill

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have a CTR, so this is for your wife? I suspect you'd probably be better off asking her what SHE wants, not what we think you should get. Obviously we are very biased people who want you to get the hatch. I love my hatch. I was hauling 2x4's yesterday. haha

IMG_4058.jpg
She’s a teacher & definitely wants a hatch. She loves the coupe but it’s not a hatch... she’s loves sporty and won’t even consider an HRV or Fit.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The 11th gen is going to look more appealing once we get actual powertrain info and real pics of the car.

Mintmoney15

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Thoughts!
Thx in advance peeps
i have a hatch sport and love it. highly recommend. your car has done its good and it time to move on.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
My guess is there is going to be about as much difference between the 10th and 11th gen, as there was between the 8th and 9th.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hmm... ya think? I tend to think it will be toned down a bit
I think it’s just an effort to appeal to the people who think the 10th gen was over-styled. Then they’ll hit us with something crazy for the 12th gen. It’s not going to be an ugly car. Hopefully they have some good colors.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I finally parted with my RSX (base) in favor of a 10th gen Civic. It was still a solid car; but stuff was beginning to wear out. If Honda would have built me a new RSX; I'd be right there to buy it. The CVT, wonky A/C, e-brake, and overall bigger size were disappointing to me. But I needed reliability. And the RSX was an old car by then. I did manage to avoid the turbo and Sensing by going with a 2018 LX. I felt it was the best solution for me.

The cool thing about the RSX was the hatch that didn't look like a hatch.

OP
OP
flacobill

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally parted with my RSX (base) in favor of a 10th gen Civic. It was still a solid car; but stuff was beginning to wear out. If Honda would have built me a new RSX; I'd be right there to buy it. The CVT, wonky A/C, e-brake, and overall bigger size were disappointing to me. But I needed reliability. And the RSX was an old car by then. I did manage to avoid the turbo and Sensing by going with a 2018 LX. I felt it was the best solution for me.

The cool thing about the RSX was the hatch that didn't look like a hatch.
Couldn’t agree more with what you said. I had a type S as well at one point.
Wife still loves her RSX but it’s getting tired / iffy.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Is your wife the type of person to care about the latest and greatest technology? That's pretty much all the 11th gen is going to have over a 10th gen. It'll have a better infotainment screen and interior technology/look but I cannot imagine that Honda would retire the 1.5 turbo powertrain very soon since it just came out in 2016 so the powertrain will most likely be the same as 10th gen. Styling wise it's also looking like the 11th gen will be a tad more conservative. If you're wife likes the look of the 10th gen and doesn't care about having the absolute cutting edge of technology, just scoop a 10th gen for a good deal.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even if you paid to have the radiator and alternator replaced to save the wear and tear on yourself... it wouldn’t have cost 1/2 a year of payments on a new car. It’s still going to be cheaper to throw occasional money at an older car to keep it going. The question is whether or not you and your wife want something new. If you do... it’s a great time to get a new car. The RSX is still a pretty special car and still has a good following. I had 2 myself. If you both still love the RSX, then it’s not wrong to keep it. The 7th gen Civic-based RSX is a much smaller car. The current Civic is the same size as that era’s Accord. As to style... is already been out of production for a decade and a half... based on a soon-to-be 4 generations behind from its Civic variant. I think they’re very good looking cars to this day myself.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Sponsored