So the other day I ended up curbing a wheel. You never expect it and honestly I was kinda shocked as I had used the rear camera to make sure I was straight backing into the stall. It was when I went forward just a bit that I curbed the wheel. Needless to say I was pretty bummed out so I decided to go pick up some semi gloss black and try to fix it myself.
Wet sanded the damage with 180 > 400 > 600 then primed it and then hit it again with 600 grit before applying several coats of the black. Waited about 24 hours and then wet sanded with 2000 grit then buffed it just a bit to match the Advan black finish.
In all my rage when it happened and while I worked on fixing it I didn't take a damn photo of the damage haha. Kinda pointless feeling to post these photos but hey for all it's worth the job worked and you'd never know how much original paint was removed when I curbed it. Guess that just means when I get the funds I'll have these refinished in something different.
Been a busy fall and finally getting some time for some updates on the build.
Drove to Vegas little over a month ago and on the way back there was major traffic due to an accident....outside temps were 116f! One of the sidemarkers almost came off as the moldable plastic bracket I made got soft and once traffic freed up it got pulled out and hardened up again..... Didn't lose it but when it came time to try and fix it I ended up botching the job and ruined it. Been running a single oem clear with 3m double sided tape until I have the time to make another one. Already ordered replacements so just have to go through the process of making another one.
In the meantime I managed to shoot a roller of my car while my friend drove it as well as some stills while out in OC/Irvine area:
Surprise mod that's half completed is the AST 5100 coilovers. Evasive Motorsports was looking for a test car for AST to check fitment on the new model for the CTR. They had to test with the stock hats and then they swapped back the Fortune Auto front coilovers while we wait to receive the camber adjustable top hats from AST. The rears are the real stars of the show as they're a "true type" spring and shock combo. My only concern is extra strain on the lower show bolt but I'm going to guess and say it'll be fine even with tracking the car year round.
Inverted shocks on the rear (dampening adjustment knob is accessible outside the car) make it worth my while to lose the electronic dampening the Fortune Auto kit offers. Plus overall this is a much more robust kit for all around usage. Just having the rears on now I can feel the car is more balanced compared to before. Loses all the micro bouncing the rear of the car had while being daily driven on the Fortunes.
Spring rates are a conservative 8k f/6k r. Thankfully if I feel the need to go stiffer later on it's not a problem.
Still waiting on some aero to arrive since January so here's hoping it'll get here soon. *cough* Varis full Arising kit. Sadly I'm betting at 2019 TAS Varis is going to announce more aero for the FK8...which means....broke boy life for the first quarter of the year bwahaha.
Another photo update. Car mods have taken a huge backseat as I'm ramping up investing all my money and time into building my brand Aeternum Ash. It's a clothing brand that mixes art, propaganda and streetwear. Anyhow.....managed to get some time in to shoot new rolling shots! Randy from Evasive drove my car while my friend Jeff was the camera car. I love hanging out a window going 30+ mph and the wind drying out my boogers.
Also took some shots of the other 2 cars that helped me.
Wow it's been 8 months since I updated my build thread.....It's been a headache and enjoyment these missing months as I've switched gears on the business and finally.......FINALLY got in some of my Varis aero. Long story short I had to get a refund as I couldn't wait any longer and ended up buying what Varis pieces were in stock from different shops. Hood and lip are arriving by December as well as a new wheel setup. Onto photos of what's happened in the past couple of days.
Varis full cf diffuser install was...well not entirely fun solo. Making a template out of 2 pieces of painter tape then having to use jack stands wrapped in towels to line up the diffuser to the rear bumper so I could transfer the template to each side of the bumper. Thennnnn drilling the holes and praying that measuring everything twice paid off. Oh, and you have to cut the diffuser for an exhaust pass through as they leave it up to the owner since there are so many different exhausts for this car already.
No reps for the fatty builds
Markings for where I cut the exhaust pass through. Used a dremel with a metal cutting wheel and grinding wheel. Wore jeans and protective gear...but didn't wear long sleeve shirt....itchy af right now. >____<
Also have to cut the oem fender liner as per instructions from Varis.
All 10mm nuts and bolts. They actually forgot 2 clip on fasteners so I had to dig through my bucket of spare junk to find something that could work. You'd think paying this much for Varis stuff would mean plug and play but yeah never the case for anything aero.
Finished product. Really satisfying to look at after all the stupid little things I had to overcome haha.
Varis cf wing flap install:
Removed the black caps and cut off some of the material as Varis makes you reuse them but didn't follow exact oem lines.
Cut vs OEM
These hex bolts were torqued to like 90lbs on both sides bwahahaha.
OEM wing flap
Varis wing flap
Mini shoot in my typical spot.
BTW if you're interested in the "carpla" sticker head over to my company: www.logiclimited.co and see what else I do in my spare time to make a living. Thanks!