Katana LED H11 Headlight Review

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5L Turbo, Sedan
Country flag
For the fogs, I assume you went with the smaller design so it fit the housings better? But fo the hi-beams, why did you not use these 9005 series?

https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-9005-HB3-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B07J6614JR

I really want to get a full set ordered/installed for a trip next week, time is running out and i can't decide on the exact set. LoL

UPDATE: Ok, enough waffling. I went with the set @BiiruBeefu posted, I figure the smaller ones were to avoid a second driver unit in that cramped space, and since they are in a reflector and not a restricted (?) projector housing the slightly lower lumen shouldn't prevent the high beams from providing plenty of light. Or just have plenty of light regardless. :) Looking forward to getting them in, because I was dragging my feet they won't deliver until next week but that is fine.
Sorry for the late reply. Glad you went with a set identical to mine as your assumptions are correct. Much earlier in the thread, I noticed someone had opted for a smaller form factor LED (diff brand though) for the Hi beams as the space was limited. My main challenge installing the Katana smaller form factor Hi beams were making sure I had them oriented correctly. Be sure, if you haven't already, to read my earlier posts concerning how I almost installed them incorrectly and how another poster ran into the same thing. I don't think this is a Katana issue as the halogens I replaced had the exact same configuration. As for light, yeah I get plenty of illumination with the smaller form factor and more lumens with reflector scatter doesn't necessarily amount to more illumination.

Let us know how they work out for you. Pics please! :)
Sponsored

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
Well here's some partial testing data on the Diode Dynamics ($120) LED bulbs and Sealight ($50) LED bulbs in a Civic projector. Looks like it's smarter to save the money and stay away from the $120 DD LED bulb, which actually does worse than $50 bulbs lol. Just goes to show that some companies are ruthless and price doesn't guarantee a good product.

Happy driving, folks !

Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review EDDKipw

Honda Civic 10th gen Katana LED H11 Headlight Review upload_2020-3-23_2-20-33

Last edited:

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well here's some partial testing data on the Diode Dynamics ($120) LED bulbs and Sealight ($50) LED bulbs in a Civic projector. Looks like it's smarter to save the money and stay away from the $120 DD LED bulb, which actually does worse than $50 bulbs lol. Just goes to show that some companies are ruthless and price doesn't guarantee a good product.

Happy driving, folks !
Yeap, couldn't agree more. Which is why I give more weight to people who have tested hundreds of LEDs and published their results.

Leba0495

First Name
LUIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Would you guys say it’s smart to leave high beams as the stock bulb? I say this because if I were to have trouble during rain/snow with the white lights I’ll have that as a back up. However, I don’t know s***t lol. Let me know your opinions.

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you guys say it’s smart to leave high beams as the stock bulb? I say this because if I were to have trouble during rain/snow with the white lights I’ll have that as a back up. However, I don’t know s***t lol. Let me know your opinions.
ok, here's my opinion and reasoning. First, I don't recommend hi beams during the rain and especially not during snow. Regardless of the light source (white/bluish LEDs or yellowish Halogens) you'll get a decent amount of reflection. That being said, the light spectrum of a Halogen is more yellow than a LED and thus less visually disruptive when reflected back. How much differs from person to person so it's subjective. All that being said, if I didn't have a means of testing (maybe go through a car wash twice. Once with Haologens and one with LEDs) to determine what works best for me then I'd hedge my bets and go with the stock Haolgens for Hi beams. Truth be told, if I was driving in rain/snow a lot, I'd stick with the Halogens and swap my fogs for yellow)

That's my two cents. Hope it helps!

MasterDhurgs

First Name
Ramzi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch
Country flag
My roommate got these, they look nice and pretty close to the DRLs. I was going to do the same until I came across this thread

Fahren H11/H9/H8 Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Waterproof Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68

They have the most reviews and are a best seller on amazon. Fair price too. I’m considering the same but no one seems to mention these. Am I missing something? I would assume less lumens means less pissed of oncoming cars lol but what do I know I’m a noob ‍♂

Need to upgrade these stock halogens ASAP. They’re so tacky.

Leba0495

First Name
LUIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
ok, here's my opinion and reasoning. First, I don't recommend hi beams during the rain and especially not during snow. Regardless of the light source (white/bluish LEDs or yellowish Halogens) you'll get a decent amount of reflection. That being said, the light spectrum of a Halogen is more yellow than a LED and thus less visually disruptive when reflected back. How much differs from person to person so it's subjective. All that being said, if I didn't have a means of testing (maybe go through a car wash twice. Once with Haologens and one with LEDs) to determine what works best for me then I'd hedge my bets and go with the stock Haolgens for Hi beams. Truth be told, if I was driving in rain/snow a lot, I'd stick with the Halogens and swap my fogs for yellow)

That's my two cents. Hope it helps!
Do mean yellow like stock or actual bright yellow? I'm considering getting that film to put over white LED's on my fogs because it's easier than swapping the whole light housing.

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do mean yellow like stock or actual bright yellow? I'm considering getting that film to put over white LED's on my fogs because it's easier than swapping the whole light housing.
Apologies for the confusion. When referencing the fog "yellow" I meant yellow bulbs or even a yellow overlay. Yeah, if you have white LEDs for fogs I'd definitely go with an overlay/film. At the very least, it's a test to see if it works for you before you invest in yellow LEDs (if you so choose to).

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My roommate got these, they look nice and pretty close to the DRLs. I was going to do the same until I came across this thread

Fahren H11/H9/H8 Bulbs, 60W 10000 Lumens Super Bright LED Waterproof Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68

They have the most reviews and are a best seller on amazon. Fair price too. I’m considering the same but no one seems to mention these. Am I missing something? I would assume less lumens means less pissed of oncoming cars lol but what do I know I’m a noob ‍♂

I take reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt. It's a good starting point but not affirmative determination for my buying decision. The "best seller" thing is a joke. The vendors can BUY that designation from what I've learned.

That said, it doesn't mean the bulbs you mentioned aren't any good. What I do know is that many of us here on the board have tried or used the Katana brand bulbs and have proven to work fairly well in our Civics. Again, not a final determiner but actual users from owners of similar cars goes a long way for me. I have the Katanas for my low beams and Hikaris in my high beams for about a year(?) and haven't felt a need to change them out.

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I relied on the bulbfacts.com website, and readings from the initial pages of this thread to base my decision. If you look back in the thread you'll see plenty of pics from people. I, for one, posted before/after as well as the make/model I purchased.

OP
OP
arsh88

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
A quick update as I’m just over a year in and they’re still rocking and just as bright as day 1, so for $50 you definitely get your monies worth

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A quick update as I’m just over a year in and they’re still rocking and just as bright as day 1, so for $50 you definitely get your monies worth
same here

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not quite a year but close and same here. No problems at all.

eee.ccc

First Name
Vale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 DC5, 2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for a good thread.
For all of you that installed LED bulbs into Foglights, has anyone noticed moisture creeping into the housing? My experience with the SEAlight X2 LED, is that the seal (rubber gasket on the bulb) although looks good on the install isn't 100% and the fan with it I believe blows water into the housing on a rainy day.

Wondering if it's just me and if anyone needed to seal up around the bulb against the foglight housing (like I did with tons of electrical tape)

I'm confident that the installation is complete/bulb turned in completely and is straight.
Sponsored