Katana LED H11 Headlight Review

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
Installed the Katana low beams on my 2020 HB. So far no issues.
Sponsored

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5L Turbo, Sedan
Country flag
Cool. I like the guy's setup and approach. Looks like he is using a light sensor listed for LED and incandescent light sources. Bulbfacts rated the Katanas I'm using as #1 for budget aftermarket LEDs with Sealights coming in at #15. Problem is, you are using one example of a subpar LED (bulbfacts and the testing you reference both conclude Sealight is subpar) and making a blanket statement about all LEDs. My posted pics show the clear difference in depth and breadth of the Katana LED vs stock Halogens.

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
(bulbfacts and the testing you reference both conclude Sealight is subpar) and making a blanket statement about all LEDs. My posted pics show the clear difference in depth and breadth of the Katana LED vs stock Halogens.
The guy behind bulb facts has no idea what he's doing, and still hasn't fixed issues with his testing despite promising to do so in 2018.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...rth-anything&p=5267038&viewfull=1#post5267038

We would need some instrumented measurements to make a conclusion about the Katanas. Maybe I'll ask the guy to test the Katanas next since he already has a Honda/Stanley projector.

nycjoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hey all,

I finally installed the Katana LEDs :)

Hi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8YGVWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Lo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078W5WJZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fog: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8Z61J9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the comparison pics. As expected, it is night and day difference. You can barely hear the LED fans with the engine off and cannot hear them with it on.

Comparison-Lo.jpg
View attachment 191972
Comparison-Hi.jpg

Comparison-Lo_Fog.jpg

I got the same bulbs for high beams. My issue is that I can't get them adjusted in correct position. When the collar is locked the LEDs aren't on the left and right perfectly -- slightly slanted. Did you run into this issue?

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got the same bulbs for high beams. My issue is that I can't get them adjusted in correct position. When the collar is locked the LEDs aren't on the left and right perfectly -- slightly slanted. Did you run into this issue?
Yes I did. Here's a copy paste from a post after the one you quoted:

"As additional info: it was possible for me to incorrectly install the Katana high beams. They JUST started to rotate into locked position but didn't complete. Rather than force it, I took another look and noticed I had the keys positioned incorrectly. I checked the halogen high beams and they have the same issue. Anywho, the take away here is if they don't rotate all the way to locked position you probably have the position of the keys incorrect. Just take the LED out and check the alignment. You'll probably have to rotate the entire assembly 30ish degrees."

Let us know how they work out for you!

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The guy behind bulb facts has no idea what he's doing, and still hasn't fixed issues with his testing despite promising to do so in 2018.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...rth-anything&p=5267038&viewfull=1#post5267038

We would need some instrumented measurements to make a conclusion about the Katanas. Maybe I'll ask the guy to test the Katanas next since he already has a Honda/Stanley projector.
I disagree about bulbfacts not knowing what he is doing. Regardless, wouldn't hurt for the other guy to do testing with Katana's provided he uses the exact same setup. No deviations: Same power supply, same distance, same LUX meter, etc. You mentioned the bulbfacts guy has no idea what he's doing. I read the flame war thread you linked and the one you provided for the other guy. In all fairness, I'd say neither has an ideal setup but both certainly sound like they are doing the best they can with what they have and can afford to invest in. One thing I want to mention, is the corollary on Sealight LEDs with both people saying they are subpar when compared to halogens. So, while neither guy has the ideal setup, in this singular example, both arrive at the same conclusion. Given that neither has an appropriate test lab (I didn't read where either was calibrating their equipment), both are doing the best with what they have, there is a corollary between their results for a single LED type and I am not willing to invest thousands of my own dollars to create my own setup only to have back-seat drivers tear me apart; I will take the results from the one who has tested the most LEDs. I am happy to concatenate the other guy's results and am interested in seeing if the single point corollary continues.

Regardless, I am qualitatively impressed and very happy with my Katanas. :)

note: green text are the edits on 2/29.

Last edited:

nycjoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Yes I did. Here's a copy paste from a post after the one you quoted:

"As additional info: it was possible for me to incorrectly install the Katana high beams. They JUST started to rotate into locked position but didn't complete. Rather than force it, I took another look and noticed I had the keys positioned incorrectly. I checked the halogen high beams and they have the same issue. Anywho, the take away here is if they don't rotate all the way to locked position you probably have the position of the keys incorrect. Just take the LED out and check the alignment. You'll probably have to rotate the entire assembly 30ish degrees."

Let us know how they work out for you!
Thanks. I'll try it out.

Blue20Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Civic Sport
Country flag
I’m a first time Honda owner here. Thanks to the forum and this thread for fixing me up. I got a 2020 Civic Sport this past weekend and have already ordered and installed the Nineo II highs and will put the Katana lows and Alla yellow fogs in tomorrow. The Nineo II’s did not disappoint. They throw a ridiculous amount of light over the stock halogens.

BiiruBeefu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Last edited:

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
For the fogs, I assume you went with the smaller design so it fit the housings better? But fo the hi-beams, why did you not use these 9005 series?

https://www.amazon.com/KATANA-9005-HB3-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B07J6614JR

I really want to get a full set ordered/installed for a trip next week, time is running out and i can't decide on the exact set. LoL

UPDATE: Ok, enough waffling. I went with the set @BiiruBeefu posted, I figure the smaller ones were to avoid a second driver unit in that cramped space, and since they are in a reflector and not a restricted (?) projector housing the slightly lower lumen shouldn't prevent the high beams from providing plenty of light. Or just have plenty of light regardless. :) Looking forward to getting them in, because I was dragging my feet they won't deliver until next week but that is fine.
Sponsored

Last edited: