BoobieTheGOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I know I may receive backlash for this but I’m a newbie when it comes to cars...

So I own a 10th Gen Civic EX (K20C2). I’ve tuned it with KTuner which is great but I am looking for more power.(I know I should have gotten 1.5L but oh well) So I’ve been looking into swapping my engine to the L15B7 but then I thought, what if I swapped to the K20C4 instead?

I seen video comparing the Type R’s K20C1 and they visually look around the same size. I know i don’t own a Type R and the engine I have is different but they are both Civics. Are the engine bays the same? Would I have to buy any extra parts, different ECU or anything for this to work? I’m wondering if this in anyway is possible.
Sponsored

Last edited:

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
What about forced induction? If you have good tuners in your area, I'd go that route. Probably cheaper than engine swaps and would be more powerful.

OP
OP

BoobieTheGOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
What about forced induction? If you have good tuners in your area, I'd go that route. Probably cheaper than engine swaps and would be more powerful.
Forced induction is a bit tricky for the k20c2 because internals. Many threads i seen on that said it may blow the engine and would be better off swapping to L15b7

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I know I may receive backlash for this but I’m a newbie when it comes to cars...

So I own a 10th Gen Civic EX (K20C2). I’ve tuned it with KTuner which is great but I am looking for more power.(I know I should have gotten 1.5L but oh well) So I’ve been looking into swapping my engine to the L15B7 but then I thought, what if I swapped to the K20C4 instead?

I seen video comparing the Type R’s K20C1 and they visually look around the same size. I know i don’t own a Type R and the engine I have is different but they are both Civics. Are the engine bays the same? Would I have to buy any extra parts, different ECU or anything for this to work? I’m wondering if this in anyway is possible.
The CTR engine is going to require a whole new wiring harness, transmission, axles (probably), and who knows what else. Possible, probably, but I'd wager stupidly expensive. Engine swaps like this are never really worth it as it's probably better to sell your car and buy the one w/ the engine you'd like. Yes, you might not put quite as much money into doing a swap as if you sold it and bought an Si, for instance, but you'll destroy your resale value as very few people want someone else's project car.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Just an FYI, the first three characters of an engine code are for the block (K20, K-series 2.0 liter), and the last two letters are for the head (C2, c-series variation 2).

Mechanically, blocks and heads of the same series are interchangeable. Beyond that, I can’t answer.

Therefore, you don't need to swap the entire engine, you only need to swap your c2 head with a C4 head.

Last edited:

OP
OP

BoobieTheGOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The CTR engine is going to require a whole new wiring harness, transmission, axles (probably), and who knows what else. Possible, probably, but I'd wager stupidly expensive. Engine swaps like this are never really worth it as it's probably better to sell your car and buy the one w/ the engine you'd like. Yes, you might not put quite as much money into doing a swap as if you sold it and bought an Si, for instance, but you'll destroy your resale value as very few people want someone else's project car.
Makes sense. I was specifically talking about the accord’s k20c4 to swap. But going off what you said, it may mess up my reliability for a project and resale.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Makes sense. I was specifically talking about the accord’s k20c4 to swap. But going off what you said, it may mess up my reliability for a project and resale.
Yeah, same applies as I think they both use the same harness. If you needed a new engine, it might make sense to do some sort of swap, but I'd never recommend removing a perfectly good running engine.

civil-k-2020

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX
Country flag
I've thought about doing the C4 swap as well. Getting your hands on that head might be the most difficult thing, but I think it's worth trying if you can find a sweet deal.

So much shade for turbo-ing this car. I would buy a kit or turbo manifold in a heartbeat if it were available, as I'm sure is the case for many LX owners (and maybe most on these forums).

Supercharging would also be a great option (Paxton/Vortech would probably be on the top of my list), but I've done so many measurements and I'm convinced the only way to do so is to swap out the AC system, which is one of the best ones I've ever experienced (and I live in SoCal!).

*New thoughts 2-11-2021: Looking at the pulley system, maybe move the alternator or supercharger behind the engine? Like with the Civic Type R? It's the same block so it theoretically should work.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BoobieTheGOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I've thought about doing the C4 swap as well. Getting your hands on that head might be the most difficult thing, but I think it's worth trying if you can find a sweet deal.

So much shade for turbo-ing this car. I would buy a kit or turbo manifold in a heartbeat if it were available, as I'm sure is the case for many LX owners (and maybe most on these forums).

Supercharging would also be a great option (Paxton/Vortech would probably be on the top of my list), but I've done so many measurements and I'm convinced the only way to do so is to swap out the AC system, which is one of the best ones I've ever experienced (and I live in SoCal!).

The LX is a practical car that never needs more power in pretty much all day-to-day driving situations. But does that mean I don't want more?
Yeah man, I’ve currently found a few C4’s I just need to plan everything out. I’m most likely going to upgrade the turbo and tune it. I know my CVT wont hold up well and I’m going to switch to stick.

There’s so much backlash to us with K20C2’s and wanting to turbo them. Like i understand the internals have to be upgraded. But in the end we just want to have fun and should have gotten the 1.5L but most of use will do what it takes to achieve it.

I think I’m set on the C4 though. Once I go through the swap I’ll probably make a post about the journey and process.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Yeah man, I’ve currently found a few C4’s I just need to plan everything out. I’m most likely going to upgrade the turbo and tune it. I know my CVT wont hold up well and I’m going to switch to stick.

There’s so much backlash to us with K20C2’s and wanting to turbo them. Like i understand the internals have to be upgraded. But in the end we just want to have fun and should have gotten the 1.5L but most of use will do what it takes to achieve it.

I think I’m set on the C4 though. Once I go through the swap I’ll probably make a post about the journey and process.
I'm not that excited about the 1.5L 's.. kinda frustrated, actually. They're putting them in even bigger vehicles (Cr-V, Pilot, etc..) and still have gimpy power when the turbo isn't going full blast. Like, WTF were they thinking?! The CR-V is almost double the weight, I think. Not to mention the aerodynamics of a skateboard, flat side against the wind, Lol. Not literally but you know what I mean.. Really surprised at all the shade, just like ppl got for the D-Series SOHC.. some of them were damn great motors when done properly and ppl made it happen like a MoFo.. Just saying. Do it up, bro. And let us know how badass it gets. A complete parts list will be exceptionally useful as well, when finished. I have faith, someone will do it. And then someone else will learn from the 1st mistakes and pass that knowledge on so someone else can figure how to make it flawless

fkseven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag

Swap is possible, there have been successful swaps on 1.5T cars, mine soon to join them lol. As for the 1.5’s there is a thread on here with probably same partlist you will likely need.
Engine trans Mounts
Computers
Wire harnesses- please just buy them oem don’t try and diy them it’s not fun
Transmission-Yes
Here’s link
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cvt-destroyed-at-45k-looking-to-mt-swap.51539/

TidalPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic lx
Country flag

I once heard of a guy who boosted his k20c2 on stock internals. Ran for 4 years, until he decided to sell the kit and the car separately. He got above 200hp, but low psi of course.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I really don't think there will be too many issues on this swap process when everything (parts) is lined up before the beginning of said project. My guesses for said list would be:
  • Engine/Head/Intake
  • K20C4 ECU
  • Exhaust/Turbo/Intercooler
  • Motor mounts (maybe?)
  • Wires for connecting relays, BPV, sensors, ECU, etc
  • Varied wire terminal connectors for above wires being added
  • Barrel OBD2 pins for ECU connectors
  • Sensor connectors (varied but not too many different types, TBH) usually found on eBay or 3D printing CAD programs/files
Now comes the (usually) needed custom stuff to make everything fit:
  • Intercooler piping (some pieces, possibly be pulled from stock, some others may need custom fittings)
  • Exhaust (from turbo to Catalytic Converter, most likely..) the rest should be fine unless you want whole new/different setup/tips.

On the whole, you'll lose your VTEC but gain turbo power instead. On the plus side, if you get everything done ? .. you'll already be pretty setup to swap a VTEC C1 turbo head onto that C4 turbo Engine ? at the drop of a hat
Sponsored