SPR_FLY

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic sport sedan 2.0 mt K20C2
Country flag
Does anybody know of anyone who has turboed their k20c2? I'm about to go down the rabbit hole and I have a fabricator that's going to help me get it done, I do have a couple of questions about where I should do my oil feed and oil drain... Will this engine hold up? Anything helps guys.
Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Why spend all the money on an unreliable turbo mod that you barely have room for when you can trade the 2.0 in for a known stable and working 1.5t. The price you pay will likely not be much more especially since its headache free.

Don't get me wrong it would be interesting to see but ehhh

OP
OP
SPR_FLY

SPR_FLY

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why spend all the money on an unreliable turbo mod that you barely have room for when you can trade the 2.0 in for a known stable and working 1.5t. The price you pay will likely not be much more especially since its headache free.

Don't get me wrong it would be interesting to see but ehhh
4 to $6,000 doesn't sound that bad to me for a properly built turbo on a car that I have fallen in love with. I just want to make sure I get it right, and make sure that if somebody has done it I know what I'm getting myself into and will weigh the pros and cons before I pull the trigger. Thank you for your feedback

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
The rational people will said trade your civic to a 1.5t model.

Since you're not going to listen to them. I said go for it.

I had friends that had shops that built them custom turbo for $4k+.

All them no longer own or drive their custom built turbo'd car.

No one tells you that:

1. leak oil because the shop messed up the oil return line.
2. Boost leaks / overboosting
3. Incorrect turbo size for the engine.
4. Manifold cracking
5. Tuning nightmare
6. Crappy Chinese turbo.

You get what you paid for. For a custom turbo kit under $4k, there aren't much R&D going into your custom turbo. Also, the parts will be chinese or subpart. A good turbo cost $1000+.

A proper custom turbo built will be in the neighborhood of $10k.

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try it. All of the older K stuff is hilariously overbuilt and will take mega power. my old roommate's regular 160hp accord k24 made 450whp on 93 with a 6262 in his RSX-S.

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A proper custom turbo built will be in the neighborhood of $10k.
LMFAO no. 10k gets you a 100% bespoke show car kit that the welder is proud of. 3-6k would be plenty to make it happen reliably

typeaarrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
typeaarrr
Country flag
LMFAO no. 10k gets you a 100% bespoke show car kit that the welder is proud of. 3-6k would be plenty to make it happen reliably
Look at PRL, they sell a complete kit for $4,500 without installation. Add installation and pro-tune, that's gonna cost you another $1,000. PRL also ate the cost of R&D in hopes that they sell more than one kit.

OP wants a custom turbo solution because there's no off the shelf solution. OP has no experience with turbo that's why he's asking here.

You think a shop will do all the R&D and fabricate a complete custom kit for $4k and have it properly setup. LMFAO!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Turbocharging the K20C2 is not worth it at all imo without an available kit, too much money to fabricate a kit that may or or may not blow up your engine down the road. I'd rather sell my Civic and buy something like a BRZ that has a gazillion bolt on turbo kits available in the aftermarket or buy something like a GTI or Si if I wanted to have a turbo car. Plus if you have the money, the Civic Type R is pretty much as close as you can get to a turbocharged K20C2, as they do share some internals.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Typically most people get the oil feed through a sandwich plate on the oil filter housing, oil return, done right is to tap the oil pan with a fitting, other way ive read on k20s is via a special timing chain tensioner cover plate with a barb fitting or the way the original garrett turbo kit for the 8th Si is a banjo bolt that replaces the oil drain plug (works but not advisable by most).

You're looking more at around $10k+ after all is said and done with a custom set up. A quality kit runs about 4-5k and is meant to be close to plug and play. Yours will be a one off custom made kit, factor in the cost of the turbo charger it self (700-1200 depending on your target HP), the one time fabrication of parts, install labor and the final tuning and your price goes through the roof. Not to mention the unforeseeable bad luck you may run into.

If you wanna drop the cash, go for it, a lot of K20 has seen 300-350 WHP without touching internals, but if you don't have atleast 10k ready to burn away, I think most people will advise for you to just trade the car in for a 1.5T.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Does anybody know of anyone who has turboed their k20c2? I'm about to go down the rabbit hole and I have a fabricator that's going to help me get it done, I do have a couple of questions about where I should do my oil feed and oil drain... Will this engine hold up? Anything helps guys.
I am on your side on this. I also have the k20c2 and am tired of waiting for a turbo kit to come out. I have been waiting to see somebody go for it. I would also not mind throwing money at mine if it was a reliable kit. Because the 2.0 will give more power than the 1.5. With a decent turbo you will easily get over 300 hp. I would be more worried about the heat buildup on the exhaust side with that turbo. Which is kinda why I was hoping a supercharger would’ve came out by now. But if you go through with it please post results. If things turn out good I might not be too far behind you. Good luck!

OP
OP
SPR_FLY

SPR_FLY

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Come to find out today that there is a local Dyno shop that has tunde k20c2 with a custom built Turbo. They got over 400whp, and the car is doing fine according to the shop.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Come to find out today that there is a local Dyno shop that has tunde k20c2 with a custom built Turbo. They got over 400whp, and the car is doing fine according to the shop.
Are you kidding me?! That is awesome! Is there a link to see this car and the results?

TotoPackage

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm definitely curious about this too. Please keep us posted.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What tuning platform, cause I call total bs on all of it

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
What tuning platform, cause I call total bs on all of it
Same, without proof I doubt this car exists. Sure, it is possible to custom build a turbo for the K20C2 but it's more effort than it's worth for sure. Doubt this is a thing.
Sponsored