K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for your no answer, not very friendly…
Sorry. I send a recommended oil sheet with my engines. It varies with application and engine spec. I wish it was an easier answer. This thread is about cams.....
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Thanks for your no answer, not very friendly…
Not trying to be a dick, but oil is a well covered topic on the forums and facebook group and highly polarized at that, have you even tried searching before calling out 4P for not answering your question in a thread about cams?

You should try being a bit more resourceful..

Last edited:

Deleted member 54128

I have asked this question in other threads,too. There i have become no answer. Then i had try it here. It was only a question for stock Engine. A symple question to 4piston, because the knew this Engine very good..

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have asked this question in other threads,too. There i have become no answer. Then i had try it here. It was only a question for stock Engine. A symple question to 4piston, because the knew this Engine very good..
I am not on the forums much. This is the only thread I have checked in months. I wish I could spend more time here, but I have engines to work on. I'm just here to update people on the camshafts. Sorry for the lack of response for your stock engine. I really only want to make suggestions for the engines I build. Honda recommends oil for your stock engine and their clearances, and they know a thing or two about them.

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
After reading thru the thread I'm still somewhat unsure what parts would be needed to get the best performance out of the TR2 cams on a stock turbo & stock fuel system daily driven car.
Can the stock fuel system safely support the cams at 400whp+ considering they were on a 100% duty cycle?
What would be the benefit upgrading to the XDI (and possibly injectors)?
Also I have no plans of getting Motec as it's just too expensive for my use case. So this would be used on a custom tuned car running pump 93.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You shouldn't need Motec unless you have above 1400cc injectors. Unless you are wanting to squeeze out the absolute most HP/TQ, and the highly customizable tuning solution.
Some tuners are able to squeeze a lot out of the fuel system, but it could take a lot of fine tuning on a dyno to get there. Having an aftermarket HPFP will make things easier to tune, and a lot safer, I have seen a lot of tuners do not want to go over 90% duty on any FP.
I am not an expert by any means, so I am sure that others have more experience in this arena.
My .02 cents

(sorry to veer off topic on this thread)

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
After reading thru the thread I'm still somewhat unsure what parts would be needed to get the best performance out of the TR2 cams on a stock turbo & stock fuel system daily driven car.
Can the stock fuel system safely support the cams at 400whp+ considering they were on a 100% duty cycle?
What would be the benefit upgrading to the XDI (and possibly injectors)?
Also I have no plans of getting Motec as it's just too expensive for my use case. So this would be used on a custom tuned car running pump 93.
It was fine at 400whp on the stock pump and injectors. I am pretty conservative. I don't tune stock ECUs every day and don't tune cars for customers so it takes me more time but I make sure that whatever we do on the dyno a car can go run 40 laps WOT as a person would actually use it. Honestly, the fuel pump control was spot on....It wasn't once we put the XDI pump on. That's why I put Motec on because the control of the XDI was erratic. Put the Motec on an the XDI control was perfect.

I even put 1400cc injectors in with the stock fuel pump and made 480whp with one of those Mitsu bolt on turbos.....stock high pressure pump.

TR2 is easy. Basic bolt-ons, cam, simple tune, and you can realistically and conservatively make some of the numbers you see guys making while leaning on them and pulling tricks. Stock ECU and Hondata is fine. I realize most people aren't going the Motec route, and don't need to.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
This changes the combustion event, fuel timing, ign timing, and increases the volumetric efficiency of the engine more than 20%....and I've seen it first hand now how bad it is. Its good...I can help guide now that I know what they are doing.
Hi Luke, thanks for all the tests and results being shared with the community. I am toying with the idea of installing TR2 cams with an MHI turbo. Tuning will be done myself, because I enjoy fiddling with it. The car is on Hondata Flashpro, stock fuel system and simple bolt-ons. The MHI turbo still has to be installed when I have free time. My questions are:

1. In your statement about combustion events, what do we need to adjust in Flashpro? Am I correct to assume the following:
a. Fuel Timing = Injector Phase (SOI)
b. Ign Timing = self explanatory
c. Volumetric Efficiency = Both VE Correction tables

2. Just curious, does the new PID feature for Hondata enable proper control of the XDI pump?
Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine 1651369812157

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
The camshaft tuning is pretty straightforward. You'll see gains even if you simply adjust AFR and VTC limits. Easy. There is more power to be found if you are proficient with Hondata.

I think the PID tables to give you a lot more control with the XDI. I haven't had a lot of feedback on that. I'd talk with Hondata.

Boomstick1832

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2015 Honda Civic
Country flag
Ordered my drop in cam.
I have been eyeing the 2.1 motor but that is for another day.
Waiting on my turbo kit to be delivered from full race and I will start building my motor.

Ordered 98% of my components from 4p and can't wait to work with them on a built motor in the future.

928CTR46752

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
am glad i decided to join civic x now, looks like i know the last engine part am going to buy before my motor build is done
Sponsored