K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Question on here, for anyone who has upgraded their Cams , have any of ya’ll gotten shadow fault code P0326?

Cars runs with no issues and CEL does not trigger on the cluster. The only fault that shows up is the P0326 as a hidden fault.
Anyone else experience this, any solutions or just basically let in the background as long as it doesn’t trigger an actual hard fault on the cluster?

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I’m aiming for 400whp with a high rev limit, 8-8500. Is the stock turbo useless at this rev range? Reason for wanting a higher rev limit is to avoid bouncing of the limiter and having to shift at undesired places. This is happening way more that I’d like for my type of driving.

This is what I have in mind, please correct as needed.
Head work plus valvetrain upgrade (stock bottom end, turbo, 93 oct) motec, more fuel and better oil pressure parts with TR3 cams?

id love to leave the car as stock as possible, no intake, exhaust and all the noisy bolt ons.

Last edited:

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Question on here, for anyone who has upgraded their Cams , have any of ya’ll gotten shadow fault code P0326?

Cars runs with no issues and CEL does not trigger on the cluster. The only fault that shows up is the P0326 as a hidden fault.
Anyone else experience this, any solutions or just basically let in the background as long as it doesn’t trigger an actual hard fault on the cluster?
That code is unrelated. the only codes that have come up are if you....
1. Limit VTC mechanically and do not limit the values in the ECU.
2. install the cam chain improperly and engine isn't in time

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I’m aiming for 400whp with a high rev limit, 8-8500. Is the stock turbo useless at this rev range? Reason for wanting a higher rev limit is to avoid bouncing of the limiter and having to shift at undesired places. This is happening way more that I’d like for my type of driving.

This is what I have in mind, please correct as needed.
Head work plus valvetrain upgrade (stock bottom end, turbo, 93 oct) motec, more fuel and better oil pressure parts with TR3 cams?

id love to leave the car as stock as possible, no intake, exhaust and all the noisy bolt ons.
To be perfectly clear with you, even with an 8 or 8.5k rev limit youre still going to bounce off of it, and its a physics related issue, FWD cars spin. The only way to alleviate that is better traction, not a higher RPM.

in addition, adding more power is going to exacerbate your problem, not solve it.

Changing the rev limiter so that you are not having to shift in undesired places, might solve a few issues, but introduce new places where you might not have had to shift before, but may have to shift at now. There is no way around this either.

A cam doesnt sound like the solution to your problems.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Type R
Country flag
To be perfectly clear with you, even with an 8 or 8.5k rev limit youre still going to bounce off of it, and its a physics related issue, FWD cars spin. The only way to alleviate that is better traction, not a higher RPM.

in addition, adding more power is going to exacerbate your problem, not solve it.

Changing the rev limiter so that you are not having to shift in undesired places, might solve a few issues, but introduce new places where you might not have had to shift before, but may have to shift at now. There is no way around this either.

A cam doesnt sound like the solution to your problems.
That depends on what track you're on. My local track, Palmer Motorsports Park, has me just clipping the limiter in 3rd at 3 places each lap. Since I'm stock I just bounce off of it for a second before the next braking zone, but in the spring I'll be running stickier tires and carrying more speed out of corners. I'd love 1000 more, even if the power is falling off, some power is more than 0 power while shifting. Since it's 3 miles from my house I'll be there a lot next year!

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
Paging @4piston

Please follow up with me on my engine order (waiting for cams).

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
That depends on what track you're on. My local track, Palmer Motorsports Park, has me just clipping the limiter in 3rd at 3 places each lap. Since I'm stock I just bounce off of it for a second before the next braking zone, but in the spring I'll be running stickier tires and carrying more speed out of corners. I'd love 1000 more, even if the power is falling off, some power is more than 0 power while shifting. Since it's 3 miles from my house I'll be there a lot next year!
This just further supports my belief that cams are not the solution, because as you solve one corner, you potentially introduce the same problem at another. There is no one universal set of gears that are going to complement every place you go to. This is true at the highest level of motorsports.

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
This just further supports my belief that cams are not the solution, because as you solve one corner, you potentially introduce the same problem at another. There is no one universal set of gears that are going to complement every place you go to. This is true at the highest level of motorsports.
This is getting no where quickly, some prefer more RPMs for whatever reasons that may be, case closed. Mods are mods, no need for any scientific data or special reason for it. I like more revs, glad these cams allow for it (yes I know, supporting mods are needed). You like HKS, I'm sure I could find tons of data on better flowing, fitting, performing IC's out there. Congratulations to you, it looks beautiful on your car, move on. I know a forum is a place for discussion but let this 8k thing go, already.

Nothing personal, just that every time I come back its the same thing. ;)

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
This is getting no where quickly, some prefer more RPMs for whatever reasons that may be, case closed. Mods are mods, no need for any scientific data or special reason for it. I like more revs, glad these cams allow for it (yes I know, supporting mods are needed). You like HKS, I'm sure I could find tons of data on better flowing, fitting, performing IC's out there. Congratulations to you, it looks beautiful on your car, move on. I know a forum is a place for discussion but let this 8k thing go, already.

Nothing personal, just that every time I come back its the same thing. ;)
Not taking this personal at all, just offering you a different perspective so you dont potentially spend money on something that may not solve your issue.

My car isnt the focus of this discussion and we can certainly chat intercoolers if youd like but not here.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Type R
Country flag
No worries, the theory isn't wrong. Their dyno sheet shows more power too, which could mean that i'm getting to the enchanced redline faster too and ultimately still bouncing off the limiter before braking zones. But being an old rx7 guy, I probably have a draw toward revs!

I'd buy their stage 1 cam either way. that sheet looks like what I want! Based on my new hondata though, if the stock fuel pump runs out at 7200, I might as well add the cost of the hondata fuel system. ugh.