K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
awesome indeed! I'm curious how are you guys keeping your trans alive as well as the axles w/ that kind of power. Even at 450 hp, drivetrain likes to go boom. Either way, amazing work like always. The best! #goals
I don't think its as big of an issue as the internet has made it out to be. Obviously some have legitimately broken. Some of the road race cars that did had right around 330hp, and when I spoke with someone from the team they attributed it to the way the cars were driven on track.

I personally have yet to have an issue with breaking gears in the stock trans. The axles aren't going to break unless you wheel hop or are jumping curbs. Get solid engine mounts, avoid wheel hop, and that will help a lot.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Are there downsides to limiting VTC?
It makes more power with the cam from bottom to top, so no downside. The full swing of the gear on a stock engine is used rarely, and its all different now with the engine modifications.

oil pressure looks good at 8000+?
Perfect, however it is a built engine with some oiling mods. I haven't turned a stock engine that hard.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Great stuff 4piston team! Those are some meaty power gains!

As you guys continue testing, it would be pretty cool to see what these cams can do when paired with your typical FBO vehicle (PRL/HKS IC, HVI, DP, Exhaust, Inlet) as a lot of people are kind of at this crossroads before deciding whether or not to call it a day or hunt for more power which typically revolves around going with a larger turbo.

How do you expect the TR2s will interact with the turbos on the market right now like the MHI, Rampages, and P600? I know you didnt really see any change in the onset of boost on the stock turbo, but do you expect any difference with the bigger ones?

Cant wait to see more test results!

Last edited:
OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Great stuff 4piston team! Those are some meaty power gains!

As you guys continue testing, it would be pretty cool to see what these cams can do when paired with your typical FBO vehicle (PRL/HKS IC, HVI, DP, Exhaust, Inlet) as a lot of people are kind of at this crossroads before deciding whether or not to call it a day or hunt for more power which typically revolves around going with a larger turbo.

How do you expect the TR1s will interact with the turbos on the market right now like the MHI, Rampages, and P600? I know you didnt really see any change in the onset of boost on the stock turbo, but do you expect any difference with the bigger ones?

Cant wait to see more test results!
That is why I put the 7163 back on my car for the test. The 64mm and 900hp wasn't useful info to anyone. I think that 7163 is a good representation of similar flow to some of those popular aftermarket turbos.

We do have some bolt-ons coming for the other car....some of the stuff has been tough to hunt down to be honest. We got a Mishi Intercooler setup here and Eventuri intake with larger MAF that shipped today from Evasive. We tried to get some other stuff but it seems a lot is out of stock. We can push that thing pretty hard but I'm trying not to clean up oil on the dyno and punch a hole in the block. Would be cool to see over 400 on 92 oct with 21psi and 9 deg timing....not that this would mean much to anyone reading.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
That is why I put the 7163 back on my car for the test. The 64mm and 900hp wasn't useful info to anyone. I think that 7163 is a good representation of similar flow to some of those popular aftermarket turbos.

We do have some bolt-ons coming for the other car....some of the stuff has been tough to hunt down to be honest. We got a Mishi Intercooler setup here and Eventuri intake with larger MAF that shipped today from Evasive. We tried to get some other stuff but it seems a lot is out of stock. We can push that thing pretty hard but I'm trying not to clean up oil on the dyno and punch a hole in the block. Would be cool to see over 400 on 92 oct with 21psi and 9 deg timing....not that this would mean much to anyone reading.

Gonna have to link up with @kefi, his built bottom end and P600 would give some great results that a lot of people probably wanna see!

Great work as always :D

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag

that very great to read!!

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
“Would be cool to see over 400 on 92 oct with 21psi and 9 deg timing.”

I would love to see that! Ideal setup from my perspective.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is awesome, would love to see what they can do a full bolt on custom tuned car. Can maybe satisfy that itch for a slight bit more power without going turbo swap.

bolis_fk8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8
Country flag
Very awesome stuff Luke, cant wait to get my hands on a set or two! :)

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Put the Mishi intercooler setup on today. It’s a nice kit. I’ve had several intercooler and this one is a pretty nice setup. Now just waiting on the intake and we can dyno again.

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine 7DA7F23E-80E4-418A-8CA1-5B60DEA26E74

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
Put the Mishi intercooler setup on today. It’s a nice kit. I’ve had several intercooler and this one is a pretty nice setup. Now just waiting on the intake and we can dyno again.

7DA7F23E-80E4-418A-8CA1-5B60DEA26E74.jpeg
Howd you get one without the M on it? If my name didn’t start with an M I’d of tried to get rid of it a long time ago

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Howd you get one without the M on it? If my name didn’t start with an M I’d of tried to get rid of it a long time ago
My wife name starts with “M” that was the perfect excuse for get an aftermarket intercooler ?

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine F6D7B146-87B8-4D2A-AAD5-5D99B1C51DC2