K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
getting p2279 code after these were installed, looked for boostleak with no success. tr3 cam with tr3 valve spring set, everything installed to spec. my fuel trims don't look good either can this be a correlation. I'm on a dual injection set up, with r660 on hondata hpfp & 1330cc injectors, custom walbro 450 fuel return kit & stand alone ecu. my long term fuel trims on idle are at .78-.79 with the command always at 1.00. i run full e85 but at the moment the cart has 93 in it, ethanol conent is at 18%...tuner says the code isn't related to the cams but my trims are bad. car idles perfect no bogs, cams were broken in as instructed 2500rpm for 5mins on start up never dropped under 1500rpm. car is running rich, can this be an issue with the calibration ?
It is tune related, but I've been told that with Hondata the TR3 is difficult because you don't have access to the VE table that needs to be adjusted. I did this myself here and did not have an issue, but I've heard others say they have run into this with the TR3 only, not the TR2. The Volumetric Efficiency of the engine is improved so much with the TR3 and it is outside the range that the factory ECU can manage in the background.

DM me and I'll get you to a tuner that has some experience with this, and I'm going to try to engage Hondata for a permanent fix.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so what kind of HP could i get with a prl catless DP and 27one intercooler on 91 OCT gas? sadly i cant get better gas or ethanol in my area

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
so what kind of HP could i get with a prl catless DP and 27one intercooler on 91 OCT gas? sadly i cant get better gas or ethanol in my area
It seems like people are having no issue making 400 on pump gas, just as we did easily in testing. I've seen a number of people post their 400hp pump gas stuff with no ethanol, no meth, no special stuff. We made 415 pretty easily on a basic bolt on car and pump gas.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
A couple observations over the past several weeks. I've sold now hundreds of sets of cams and have had amazing results. There are a few stragglers that have had some issues with the ECU and some engine codes. So far most of those have been mechanical issues related to installation...maybe a couple are ECU mapping related.

1. You have to make sure the timing chain is on properly. If it is out of time, you will get an error and can damage your engine. It is a pretty big mistake, so just make sure your mechanic has his head on straight. Pull that timing chain up with a bungee and hook it to the hood. That sounds silly, but if you drop that chain off the bottom of the crank gear, you can make this mistake. I don't want to scare anyone, it is an easy Saturday install with your buddies, but you have to have SOME kind of ability and common sense.

2. Put the VTC pins in the right place. It's in the picture. Check twice, make sure it is right.

3. When you put the VTC gear on the cam, don't ugggga duggga that MF with an impact. You can damage the gear cleetus.

4. VTC trace will be slow following the command if you have an engine that is a little low on oil pressure. It really wants above 65psi for fast control. Slow control isn't really an issue, its just bothering people that are looking at the logs vs. command. Bump up your oil viscosity to gain another 5psi or so if you have this issue. If you are building an engine from scratch, get our oil pump so you have better flow and pressure on track days when your oil is hot. There is a little power in holding that VTC command....not tons.

5. People returned TR3 cams and traded them for TR2 cams because 1 tuner talked about some tuning challenges. While those may exist, people are having success tuning the larger TR3 cams on Hondata. It is literally mash the gas and go on Motec, but the challenges on Hondata can be overcome. If you need a tuner recommendation, I have several suggestions. FWIW...TR3 goes in ALL the engines with our name on it, and they run great. The comment below speaks to why from someone that went from a TR2 to a TR3...

I make the same dollas off either cam. Just sharing for perspective.

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine TR3

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Double check that gear stack and make sure its not pushing on the crank. Also double check your clutch stop.

Glad you found it.
here is a picture of the block, also thanks for the quick send of those piston rings to us. Much appreciated it 🙏🏾

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine 9FA7E9FB-9609-4746-8BB0-E758FBB88413

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I’m re posting this in case people didn’t saw the at the RV6 660 thread.
Mods:

RV6 660 drop In turbo .
SES port injection fuel system .
TR3 cams
Hondata tuned .

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine C0DB0A5A-D328-4A03-B5A8-91E2DA658AB1

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Double check that gear stack and make sure its not pushing on the crank. Also double check your clutch stop.

Glad you found it.
what did you mean by checking the gear stack? Like gear stack as in the transmission gear stack or something else?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
Country flag
what did you mean by checking the gear stack? Like gear stack as in the transmission gear stack or something else?
I believe he means to make sure the input shaft gear stack isn't in such a way that it is thusting up against the flywheel/pilot bearing/crankshaft when the transmssion bell housing is bolted up.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Hello folks just sharing another of my work tuned on Hondata, TR2 cams and MHI stage 2 , our port injection fuel system using pump E85.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Seeing lots of guys chiming in on Social Media with fantastic results with TR2 and TR3. Happy to see people got the 3s sorted with their tuners :) They are a game changer. 650-900hp Type Rs with more rpm in the playground....just like it should be

Semin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Hello Dears

Do you work with hondata for new cam or its just same as tr2 ? I saw jasonpro's post told that you guys working on a new cam

@4piston

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello Dears

Do you work with hondata for new cam or its just same as tr2 ? I saw jasonpro's post told that you guys working on a new cam

@4piston
We are working with Jason's car the next couple weeks. We will put more info out when we are finished. The goal is a drop down selection where you can select the cam. We want to verify that there is enough fuel system capacity to make this clearly safe and smooth.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I will say this....the VTEC crossover pop from these TR3 cams warms my Honda heart :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine haLk39KoYZGecEb9-pXtdris=w876-h657-s-no?authuser=0

Oh yeah...I guess they preform well too 💪

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
how are the TR2 camshafts on the OEM valve train? Are they harsh on them? Does the OEM valve train hold up well with them? Or it'll vastly accelerate the wear and OEM will need replaced after X miles? Just curious.
Sponsored