K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

DangChung

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just installed TR2 cams and it was a fun experience. 😁

Question for you guys that have these cams installed, how many degrees should I expect to see on the intake and exhaust cams with the limiters installed?

My data log is showing a max of 8 degrees on the exhaust and minimum of -6 degrees on the intake.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just installed TR2 cams and it was fun experience. 😁

Question for you guys that have these cams installed, how many degrees should I expect to see on the intake and exhaust cams with the limiters installed?
Did you have to remove the crankshaft pulley? That's usually a pain to remove.

Please let us know how it performs once you've got it tuned.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
That is the easiest way to do this and keep the chain from falling off the crank sprocket. Dropping it sucks!

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just installed TR2 cams and it was a fun experience. 😁

My data log is showing a max of 8 degrees on the exhaust and minimum of -6 degrees on the intake.
that is about right

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Subaru Wrx STI, 2004 Infinity G35
Country flag
Without going through this whole thread, what is the surface Rockwell HRC rating? What exactly is the metal material used to make these? Tool steel, made from cnc forged billet blanks? Also is there is the hardening process like black nitride, shot peened, or forging since these where designed from new and not regrinds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Without going through this whole thread, what is the surface Rockwell HRC rating? What exactly is the metal material used to make these and if there is the hardening process like black nitride, shot peen, or forging since these where designed from new and not regrinds.
Proprietary information. It is a tool steel billet core.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Proprietary information. It is a tool steel billet core.
Cool thanks for the reply. Daniel Butler did my last tune, Motec M142 Vit package I did send a message to confirm the air to fuel and ignition timing maps have a safety buffer to drive the car normally, conservatively till I have him retune for these camshafts.

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The instructions are with Eman. I think I remember seeing a break in procedure. Can you tell me what it is?

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also what exactly are the trade offs limiting 25 degrees of timing to vtec? I understand it’s there to avoid piston to valve contact in case the tuner adjusts too much timing. Spool time slower? Power and torque gains? Can the ignition adjustment loss be compensated possibly by changing the vtec engagement point?

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also what exactly are the trade offs limiting 25 degrees of timing to vtec? I understand it’s there to avoid piston to valve contact in case the tuner adjusts too much timing. Spool time slower? Power and torque gains? Can the ignition adjustment loss be compensated possibly by changing the vtec engagement point?
We aren't limiting ignition timing, we physically limit the VTC angle.....the valve timing event. We do this because they physically do not fit otherwise. If you don't do this, your valves will crash into the piston and into each other and destroy your engine. The engine doesn't even have to be running to do this....Just ONE rotation by hand not doing this and you have bent valves. This is not unique to this engine, but to ALL 4 valve ohc engines.

Please make sure those guys follow those instructions.

The break-in isn't that important on these billet cores. I start a new engine, check for oil pressure, let it idle to temperature for a few minutes, then I give it the beans on the dyno.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
the trade off is that your engine still runs when you go to full advance/retard.

You dont loose any ignition timing by limiting the camshaft angle, you are mixed up there.

Change vtec to where the dyno graph looks the best. Usually right after peak boost is met, I turn it on. It really is easy and do not need to over think it. Lower it until it the graph is smooth and does not flatline or loose power when you turn it on. D butler isnt going to need outside help setting vtec..lol

theangelofspace15

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
@4piston I was looking through the website for the ported cylinder head but I couldnt fine a build for the TR3, how can I get a quite for a cylinder head for a tr3 build? Thanks.
Sponsored