K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It was fine at 400whp on the stock pump and injectors. I am pretty conservative. I don't tune stock ECUs every day and don't tune cars for customers so it takes me more time but I make sure that whatever we do on the dyno a car can go run 40 laps WOT as a person would actually use it. Honestly, the fuel pump control was spot on....It wasn't once we put the XDI pump on. That's why I put Motec on because the control of the XDI was erratic. Put the Motec on an the XDI control was perfect.

I even put 1400cc injectors in with the stock fuel pump and made 480whp with one of those Mitsu bolt on turbos.....stock high pressure pump.

TR2 is easy. Basic bolt-ons, cam, simple tune, and you can realistically and conservatively make some of the numbers you see guys making while leaning on them and pulling tricks. Stock ECU and Hondata is fine. I realize most people aren't going the Motec route, and don't need to.
It looks like 4P cams, 1400cc injectors and an upgraded turbo are in my future! My car is quick now but I don't think another 100whp will hurt during competition.

I'm also very interested in a valve train upgrade to increase RPMs...mainly to maximize time in gears and minimize shifts at various tracks.
Sponsored

Ghosted

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey OP,
Will you make cams for 1.5T Si and 1.5T non-si?

Thanks

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey OP,
Will you make cams for 1.5T Si and 1.5T non-si?

Thanks
We may eventually. Right now we aren't offering any work for the L15 because we have to change all of our tooling every time we machine a head or block, and it takes hours to setup each time we change it since the engines are so small....then hours to set it back up to go back to our normal work. We are at capacity with the work we have....so doesn't make sense to retool for a couple engines. The new machines, employees to run them, and shop space is a 7 figure investment to add it to our current workload.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
5/19/2022 - Please note on the website that TR2 and and TR3 are out of stock. More are being completed now and expect July 1 - July 15 availability.

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Subaru Wrx STI, 2004 Infinity G35
Country flag
I guess I may have gotten the last TR2 early morning online shopping. 😅
Curious what this will do to my powerband. Built block, ported head, Ferrea off the shelf valve train, port injection, ID1700x, surge tank, Motec M142 Vit package. G30-770 ewg, 4 port mac solenoid. Current rev limit 8700. PPG 1-5 FK8 taller gear set, stock 4.11 final drive. Tuner: Daniel Butler.

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine A0E2D36B-1D3E-48CE-B30C-DB02F603104C

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
You definitely did. A few guys took advantage last night and got their in the mail today.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I guess I may have gotten the last TR2 early morning online shopping. 😅
Curious what this will do to my powerband. Built block, ported head, Ferrea off the shelf valve train, port injection, ID1700x, surge tank, Motec M142 Vit package. G30-770 ewg, 4 port mac solenoid. Current rev limit 8700. PPG 1-5 FK8 taller gear set, stock 4.11 final drive. Tuner: Daniel Butler.

A0E2D36B-1D3E-48CE-B30C-DB02F603104C.jpeg
8700 huh.. 🤦 your turbine is choking it, even on a stock cam...

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s with the 70mm Fujitsubo ti exhaust piping which is now 80mm which I haven’t tuned for yet.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That’s with the 70mm Fujitsubo ti exhaust piping which is now 80mm which I haven’t tuned for yet.
Your turbine is the same size.. 35 psi and g30 isn't going to rev to 8700. My g30/ tr3 were falling off pretty good by 8300. The turbo was the restriction to rpm, not the tr3.. Pulling numbers out your ass 🤦.

Went from 608 to 725 (and 3 psi) on cams and CNC head so they work great together.. just be realistic here. I did 8700 with a g35 and made ~800 at ~8500.

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your turbine is the same size.. 35 psi and g30 isn't going to rev to 8700. My g30/ tr3 were falling off pretty good by 8300. The turbo was the restriction to rpm, not the tr3.. Pulling numbers out your ass 🤦.

Went from 608 to 725 (and 3 psi) on cams and CNC head so they work great together.. just be realistic here. I did 8700 with a g35 and made ~800 at ~8500.
I’m not making any numbers up, nor am I claiming anything other than that 8700 rpm is what Daniel set the rev limit to.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m not making any numbers up, nor am I claiming anything other than that 8700 rpm is what Daniel set the rev limit to.
Because why? You raised it to exactly what I said mine with tr3 cams, not stock cams and with a much larger turbo to actually make power at 8700. You also did it without any testing, which I already know the outcome (over spin and high exhaust pressure). You're killing the turbo and engine for no reason other than the perceived cool points just to say youre rev limit is 8700.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Either way....just don't turn it that hard based on that graph. Fuel control looks erratic up top...or it has some boost control issue going on....or turbo is done for. Stock cams can't do it...the head and cam makes a big difference on rpm capability. Not all ported heads are equal. Put the cams in, tune it, and you'll be good to go.

I set my limit higher than I turn the engine. Beating up limiters is hard on engines...it oscillates springs and wears them out...and worse.

When I'm running my car hard I naturally feel the cars pull and if I go back and look at my logs....I'm shifting 8200-8300 whether I look at the lights on my dash or not. I have my hard cut up higher so I don't hit it. I've also set it up to try to maximize acceleration on 55-60 rolls (since I get flogged on 40 rolls) and I try to manage the power in 3rd where on a reasonable surface in 70 deg weather if I punch it the car naturally hangs at that 7800-8200 range as it tries to hook up....I allow slip % before it starts pinching the throttle, then the same in 4th which is more power to do similar. Its a balance to find the right power and traction when you are trying to roll race some 1000hp domestics on a good tire....they always get out a car or more while we wait on the turbo and if you have some traction its time to start reeling them in up top :)

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
TR2 and TR3 back on the shelves....start shipping next week.

Back2Honda

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Either way....just don't turn it that hard based on that graph. Fuel control looks erratic up top...or it has some boost control issue going on....or turbo is done for. Stock cams can't do it...the head and cam makes a big difference on rpm capability. Not all ported heads are equal. Put the cams in, tune it, and you'll be good to go.

I set my limit higher than I turn the engine. Beating up limiters is hard on engines...it oscillates springs and wears them out...and worse.

When I'm running my car hard I naturally feel the cars pull and if I go back and look at my logs....I'm shifting 8200-8300 whether I look at the lights on my dash or not. I have my hard cut up higher so I don't hit it. I've also set it up to try to maximize acceleration on 55-60 rolls (since I get flogged on 40 rolls) and I try to manage the power in 3rd where on a reasonable surface in 70 deg weather if I punch it the car naturally hangs at that 7800-8200 range as it tries to hook up....I allow slip % before it starts pinching the throttle, then the same in 4th which is more power to do similar. Its a balance to find the right power and traction when you are trying to roll race some 1000hp domestics on a good tire....they always get out a car or more while we wait on the turbo and if you have some traction its time to start reeling them in up top :)
What turbo? Borg Warner 7173 EFR? Btw got my TR2 yestaday, will be getting installed and hopefully tuned this next week depending on DB’s schedule.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
What turbo? Borg Warner 7173 EFR? Btw got my TR2 yestaday, will be getting installed and hopefully tuned this next week depending on DB’s schedule.
Precision 6466. Its brutal on the highway. Responsive but can make more than the chassis can take.

The 7163 was my favorite setup...I'll likely go back to that soon for track days. Still pulls hard to 8300 but its done there....and 570-600whp is all you are gonna get out of that little turbo. It is a big fat powerband though, really fun to drive.
Sponsored