TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
:doh: the eternal discussion about awd....
Sponsored

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen K20c CTR vs Accord comparison 522E3123-55FC-4438-9B40-E0B896DC079F
I owned 5 DSMs. And drove them for about 15 years, total. I understand the FWD heritage of the TypeR, like I said. I also understood Honda’s V-Tec heritage. In fact, read my introduction post, in “introduce yourself” you will see that I totally understand about Honda, and their past. I was putting GSR motors in Civics, back in 1995.

But, after driving AWD cars for so long, it’s just nice to have 500-600hp and still be able to actually drive the car. I had a GST, front wheel drive Eclipse with an FP Green, on it. And it was nearly impossible to catch me on the street. But the car had so much power, you could launch it, on drag radials, and you could turn the steering wheel from left to right, under acceleration, and the car would still go straight. It was like driving on plastic big wheel tires. And that only had about 400hp. But it would leave anything in the dust, on the highway, to about 17x.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sure, if the owners target is 500-600hp than this is the wrong car. But I think this CTR would manage 400hp with no big problems. (And I wiuld be more than happy with 400 hp :D )

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From what I have seen, the car is already a handful, at 306. At 400, it would be hard to drive on the street. When the boost came on, in my FWD Eclipse, it was nearly impossible, under normal driving, for the car to not spin the tires above 3,000. Every time you left a red light, the boost came on, so hard, at 3,000 that even feathering the gas couldn't keep the tires from at least breaking loose. It gets tiring. AWD is amazing.

And 600 may be a little too much, but having a 500 hp AWD car, is easily manageable, on the street. And why can't it be a Civic. People want sleepers.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its hard for me to know, around here, I can't even get a dealer to let me sit in one, even though Im pre-approved. Im not even going to entertain a $15,000 ADM. I asked the bank for $40K on purpose. I could add $10K without a problem, but with the fact that so many people are getting them for MSRP, I won't even entertain it.

I was watching a YouTube review and one of the guys commented "Wheel spin, in second, come on," and that was with a passenger in the car. Although it was an overseas review, and they run 98 ROM at the pump. Im sure that was a little help. I can't wait to just get to drive one. I hear that Revo Knuckle is pretty much the end to torque steer.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am 100% positive this car can hadle 400 hp. Hell, my 2002 Saab 9-3 Aero (Viggen like) could handle 300 hp with some upgrades and no LSD. :p

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have no doubt the car can handle it. By handling it, I mean not spinning the tires all the way through 1st gear, and halfway into second. Or just being able to break the tires loose trying to change lanes.

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...and the fact that this CTR can be faster on track than an M3 should says something about how capable it is ;)

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very True. Im still steadily looking for a CTR, at MSRP. Although, I have started entertaining the idea of picking up a A45/GLA45 AMG, Im seeing 2017s left over, on the lot, for $50K. If I can't get a civic for less, I may as well get something that fits the price category.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Its hard for me to know, around here, I can't even get a dealer to let me sit in one, even though Im pre-approved. Im not even going to entertain a $15,000 ADM. I asked the bank for $40K on purpose. I could add $10K without a problem, but with the fact that so many people are getting them for MSRP, I won't even entertain it.

I was watching a YouTube review and one of the guys commented "Wheel spin, in second, come on," and that was with a passenger in the car. Although it was an overseas review, and they run 98 ROM at the pump. Im sure that was a little help. I can't wait to just get to drive one. I hear that Revo Knuckle is pretty much the end to torque steer.
I don't have to deal with less than ideal weather conditions most of the time here in california so that is always a good thing. Sure if the weather isn't ideal, I bet I will spin through second lol.

Also I'm on 265 RT-615s and not the factory 245 Contis. I did spin a bit more with the stock oem tires. My traction control light blinks a ton in first lol but won't even blink if i WOT in 2nd with my current tires.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I live in Sac. Weather here isn’t too bad. And that’s what I’m talking about. Now, add 25% more horsepower. 400 or more and it starts to not be as fun as it could be. AWD wouldn’t break the tires loose, at all, in any gear, unless you launched it.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I live in Sac. Weather here isn’t too bad. And that’s what I’m talking about. Now, add 25% more horsepower. 400 or more and it starts to not be as fun as it could be. AWD wouldn’t break the tires loose, at all, in any gear, unless you launched it.
but you said it's a handful at stock power lvls. Never said you won't have issues at 25% more hp. Although with how much traction I have currently, I'm sure I'll have some spin but I don't think I'll spin completely through 2nd.

How do you know it won't be as "fun" as it could be. That's a pretty subjective topic and you can always manipulate the torque target (considering you'd have a tune to get that much more hp) and have the torque curve build more linear instead of having it hit the target boost asap.

I'm not doubting the AWD capability of traction lol. But you can't compare it 100% directly to a car 20 year old just because its the same drivetrain layout. Cars and street tires have come a long way.

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, you’re definitely right. I guess the way I’m thinking about it is, that there is no reason for tires to spin all the way through a gear. Spinning is not winning. :drive:

So, I guess I’m not actually talking about the capability of the car. It’s more about what I can deal with. For me, after driving turbo cars for over 2 decades, it just makes sense. And it would be great for me, but I’m also planning on modding it. And after modding almost a dozen turbo cars, you try not to waste your money on mods. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wasted my money buying the smaller cheaper turbo, only to turn around, 6 months later and go bigger. The first time you get punked by a scatpack Charger. You’ll wish you went bigger.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Not sure what AWD cars you're referring to. Having owned quite a few of them I could break the tires loose on WRX and Focus RS and Stage 1 power levels especially easily in 2nd. Lower than stock CTR power levels on the WRX with the same size tires.

CTR is more planted than either platform by far above 30mph and the fact the traction is lower on power doesn't take away from the fact that the CTR will hold the road much better than either at lower speeds off the throttle and in transient.
Sponsored