K-Tuner with TSP stage 1

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Will using K-TUNER with TSP stage -1 cause premature failure of the stock clutch? I will mostly use the map-1 and may use map-3 occasionally or rarely. Can someone shed some light if you have used it for a long time
Sponsored

Aguirre129

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Will using K-TUNER with TSP stage -1 cause premature failure of the stock clutch? I will mostly use the map-1 and may use map-3 occasionally or rarely. Can someone shed some light if you have used it for a long time
I would recommend thoroughly reading through https://www.civicx.com/threads/joined-the-ktuner-world.34484/ This is where I got most of my information on the Ktuner before I bought mine. Having never tuned my old Civic Si this was all new to me and I did not want to screw my car up. After a lot of research I purchased it and I can say it is definitely worth the $. It completely wakes the car up and makes it more fun to drive. My car is a daily so I do not beat on it and redline it every chance I get. My commute is about 20 minutes with about 15 minutes of hwy travel. It makes merging and passing all the more fun since the boost will pick up. Sometimes I will stick it in Map 3 on the way home at night when there isn't a lot of traffic and step on the gas just cause it's fun. I haven't had any issues. Granted I have only had it for about a month so I can't speak for long term, but I have been following the advice of the people on these forums. Most of this advice is common sense and things I have been doing for years with any manual transmission car, such as downshifting and don't WOT in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM's. Actually I think general consensus is at any gear at low rpm's. If you are like me and are worried about keeping the car running and you don't race your car and abuse the shit out of it, I think the clutch should hold up. I run it on Map 2 in Normal mode full time and only kick on sport when I feel like getting to speed quick. Only hit Map 3 a couple of times and even then I did a 2nd to 4th gear pull to put this guy to shame cause he was trying real hard to race me and I felt the full power kicking in with no clutch slippage.

It is scary this is coming from someone that has been interested in modifying my car but never had the money to but trust me its worth it. And if you take care of your car and drive with common sense, the car should last a long time.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would recommend thoroughly reading through https://www.civicx.com/threads/joined-the-ktuner-world.34484/ This is where I got most of my information on the Ktuner before I bought mine. Having never tuned my old Civic Si this was all new to me and I did not want to screw my car up. After a lot of research I purchased it and I can say it is definitely worth the $. It completely wakes the car up and makes it more fun to drive. My car is a daily so I do not beat on it and redline it every chance I get. My commute is about 20 minutes with about 15 minutes of hwy travel. It makes merging and passing all the more fun since the boost will pick up. Sometimes I will stick it in Map 3 on the way home at night when there isn't a lot of traffic and step on the gas just cause it's fun. I haven't had any issues. Granted I have only had it for about a month so I can't speak for long term, but I have been following the advice of the people on these forums. Most of this advice is common sense and things I have been doing for years with any manual transmission car, such as downshifting and don't WOT in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM's. Actually I think general consensus is at any gear at low rpm's. If you are like me and are worried about keeping the car running and you don't race your car and abuse the shit out of it, I think the clutch should hold up. I run it on Map 2 in Normal mode full time and only kick on sport when I feel like getting to speed quick. Only hit Map 3 a couple of times and even then I did a 2nd to 4th gear pull to put this guy to shame cause he was trying real hard to race me and I felt the full power kicking in with no clutch slippage.

It is scary this is coming from someone that has been interested in modifying my car but never had the money to but trust me its worth it. And if you take care of your car and drive with common sense, the car should last a long time.
Thanks for tagging that thread. I started to look into ktuner only after that thread. I like the way he described everything. My only fear is long term reliability of the car if I flash custom tune for opening up the performance capability of the car. I agree that sooner or later a car will need a clutch but replacing clutch at 100k miles is different than replacing@20k . Currently, my car is sitting close to 9k. Already bought K-Tuner and itching to try it out by flashing but worried to pull the trigger

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Thanks for tagging that thread. I started to look into ktuner only after that thread. I like the way he described everything. My only fear is long term reliability of the car if I flash custom tune for opening up the performance capability of the car. I agree that sooner or later a car will need a clutch but replacing clutch at 100k miles is different than replacing@20k . Currently, my car is sitting close to 9k. Already bought K-Tuner and itching to try it out by flashing but worried to pull the trigger
As the author of that thread and being tuned with TSP stage 1 for over 7 months and over 10k miles I can tell you it's safe for your clutch as long as you 1) don't frequently use map 3 in sports mode and 2) don't wot in 5th or 6th gear at low speed/RPM or in any gear for that matter if you are below 2500 RPM.

As far as engine wear while using this tune, my last oil analysis showed completely normal wear. Data logging some of my runs also showed completely normal fuel trims, k control etc.

I would just advise to stay away from bolt-on's except maybe a performance Intercooler, which benefited by cooling down charged air by 20 degrees

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the Evo/Sti communities, it was generally accepted that in second and third you actually want to lay into the pedal early on (2k-2.5k) in order to build up enough load to fully spool the turbo.

However the smaller turbo on this car may not necessitate that. Either way, stomping on in at 2.5k rpm in 2nd gear should be absolutely fine.

In my 10 years of driving turbo cars, ive found 85% throttle about 1k before turbo spool up yields the most "fun," with 100% after spool up to keep it from feeling like its falling off. Its kinda just throttle modulation but its kinda personal in a lot of ways. To me wheel spin in any way is not enjoyable, so I tend to never WOT before spool (unless in awd), and in NA cars would never launch, but kind of ramp up throttle percentage with the rpms.

$0.02 tho

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
In this case BBG is your friend. You can limit the boost in higher gears and save your clutch.

My settings, YMMV

1 through 3rd - TSP settings

4th BBG with ramp - 20 psi
5th BBG with ramp - 17psi
6th BBG NO ramp - 15psi

BBG with ramp means it limits the boost to whatever target you set until 4000rpm and after that it goes to the TSP target, 24.5-26psi in my experience. You don’t want that in 5th or 6th low rpm, it will kill your clutch.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In the Evo/Sti communities, it was generally accepted that in second and third you actually want to lay into the pedal early on (2k-2.5k) in order to build up enough load to fully spool the turbo.

However the smaller turbo on this car may not necessitate that. Either way, stomping on in at 2.5k rpm in 2nd gear should be absolutely fine.

In my 10 years of driving turbo cars, ive found 85% throttle about 1k before turbo spool up yields the most "fun," with 100% after spool up to keep it from feeling like its falling off. Its kinda just throttle modulation but its kinda personal in a lot of ways. To me wheel spin in any way is not enjoyable, so I tend to never WOT before spool (unless in awd), and in NA cars would never launch, but kind of ramp up throttle percentage with the rpms.

$0.02 tho
You didn't say anything about ktuner or tsp . Are you saying that I need to stay with stock tune and enjoy with throttle modulation

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In this case BBG is your friend. You can limit the boost in higher gears and save your clutch.

My settings, YMMV

1 through 3rd - TSP settings

4th BBG with ramp - 20 psi
5th BBG with ramp - 17psi
6th BBG NO ramp - 15psi

BBG with ramp means it limits the boost to whatever target you set until 4000rpm and after that it goes to the TSP target, 24.5-26psi in my experience. You don’t want that in 5th or 6th low rpm, it will kill your clutch.
Are those setting in map-3 of tsp stage1?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
The BBG settings are globally applied. All maps Sport mode or not.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The BBG settings are globally applied. All maps Sport mode or not.
Cool! I will look into it. I don't want to disable rev hang as @amirza786 mentioned in his thread its gonna make the drive harsher or bad

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Mine started to slip at 18k , it was minor but i took it off and did put a FX350.

I've kept my OEM flyweel , its now perfect and should last a very long time.

Other than that, that TSP Stage 1 Tune is perfect for daily.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Cool! I will look into it. I don't want to disable rev hang as @amirza786 mentioned in his thread its gonna make the drive harsher or bad
For spirited driving rev hang disable is the bomb. Disable it in the quick adjustment settings and if you want rev hang just enable the cruise control main...rev hang in all its glory is there.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine started to slip at 18k , it was minor but i took it off and did put a FX350.

I've kept my OEM flyweel , its now perfect and should last a very long time.

Other than that, that TSP Stage 1 Tune is perfect for daily.
Did you use map 3 often?

CLnet2014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2018 Coupe
Country flag
Did you use map 3 often?
Yes.

Note that if you want to run this tune on your stock clutch, don't go over map 2 , it will save you some time. Maybe just the time you save money for a clutch swap later on :p

I ran map 2 for couple months , i had to issues , but as soon as i started to run on map 3 , the clutch started to slip ( which is understandable ) , even if i was careful to not go WOT before 4k rpms , in every gear.

From my point of view, don't get the TSP Stage 1 tune if you don't have an aftermarket clutch. I don't see the point of running their tune if you don't go to map 3, as its their most powerful and fun map to drive.

My two cents

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Yes.

Note that if you want to run this tune on your stock clutch, don't go over map 2 , it will save you some time. Maybe just the time you save money for a clutch swap later on :p

I ran map 2 for couple months , i had to issues , but as soon as i started to run on map 3 , the clutch started to slip ( which is understandable ) , even if i was careful to not go WOT before 4k rpms , in every gear.

From my point of view, don't get the TSP Stage 1 tune if you don't have an aftermarket clutch. I don't see the point of running their tune if you don't go to map 3, as its their most powerful and fun map to drive.

My two cents
Disagree w what he said. If you end up needing a clutch, then get it. But i would never buy a clutch first to go to a tsp stg 1 map.

Perhaps it is his driving style or abuse. The clutch should be able to handle spirited driving, but not abuse. I do not and would not recommend anyone go wot in 5-6th gears, unless racing and exhausted 4th gear already. Those gears are for cruising and min gas usage.

There are people running a stock clutch on a flex map, so to each his own. I am on a different platform on e50 but still on oem clutch. Not one issue yet and i go wot many times daily, 13k+ miles so far.
Sponsored