Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, besides the sunroof, I don't know how you could tell it wasn't a legit type R?!?! Did you get a good deal because the title wasn't clean?

It would've been awesome to see this engine/drivetrain/interior swapped into an Si coupe or sedan!
I had it sitting next to a friend's Type R and other than the sunroof and headliner, there is no difference at all inside or out.
I got a very good deal on it!

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I had it sitting next to a friend's Type R and other than the sunroof and headliner, there is no difference at all inside or out.
I got a very good deal on it!
Super cool and super confusing at the same time. Does your VIN show it's a Sport Hatchback? How do we know it's not a stolen Type R with some Sport Hatchback parts tacked on to throw off suspicion? :spaz:

Congrats on the find!

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Super cool and super confusing at the same time. Does your VIN show it's a Sport Hatchback? How do we know it's not a stolen Type R with some Sport Hatchback parts tacked on to throw off suspicion? :spaz:
FK7/FK4is the chassis code for the hatchback while FK8 for the Type R.

Same thing with what they did in Thailand. A full FK8 conversion on an FK4.

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Congrats on the find!
Oh trust me, I was a little confused at first too when I first went to look at it lol
And yes, you are right. It does have the FK7 VIN showing its a sport hatchback :)

jgreguri

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I whipped up something real quick and added a few pictures
https://www.civicx.com/forum/garage/2018-civic-hatchback-type-r-swap.2606/
Doesn't count unless you've swapped the chrome H on the key fob for a red one!

JK, your car is sick, super unique too! I would swear its an R until I saw the sunroof. I'm really curious on the history of the car, why it was done and by who. Everything was swapped part for part, 'no difference at all', down to the bolts? As I understand it, the R has some sort of additional, more rigid chassis adhesive / stiffening elements. Do you know if yours received the same chassis treatment when the conversion was done?

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn't count unless you've swapped the chrome H on the key fob for a red one!

JK, your car is sick, super unique too! I would swear its an R until I saw the sunroof. I'm really curious on the history of the car, why it was done and by who. Everything was swapped part for part, 'no difference at all', down to the bolts? As I understand it, the R has some sort of additional, more rigid chassis adhesive / stiffening elements. Do you know if yours received the same chassis treatment when the conversion was done?
I still haven't got that red H on the key fob yet but it is on my list ;)
I am more curious about the why was it done, so many ideas in mind yet maybe none of them is the real story..
It does appear to have "every nut and bolt" from the Type R, over 6 months later and still haven't found something other than the sunroof\headliner being different.
Definitely didn't receive any of the chassis treatment (although I am not sure what these would be)
Having fun so far with the car, enjoying it everyday.

jgreguri

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I still haven't got that red H on the key fob yet but it is on my list ;)
I am more curious about the why was it done, so many ideas in mind yet maybe none of them is the real story..
It does appear to have "every nut and bolt" from the Type R, over 6 months later and still haven't found something other than the sunroof\headliner being different.
Definitely didn't receive any of the chassis treatment (although I am not sure what these would be)
Having fun so far with the car, enjoying it everyday.
Gotta get that red H on the key fobs! And maybe delete that sunroof too? Naw don't do that, sunroof definitely makes it unique, its an FK7.5! Seems as though " the Type R unibody additionally uses nearly 42.7 feet of structural adhesive at key stress areas ", whatever then heck that means.

Source: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-type-r-body-and-exterior

I assume that would be harder to add to a type r conversion? Not sure though, I know nothing about cars. I'm super curious about the 'why' too. It seems your conversion is extremely well done and must have cost a fortune, probably more than a new R. Shocking there's no documentation about it! Have you checked the body to see how close the peculiarities / shade of the R panels match the standard sport ones? I would also assume the whoever did it had a wrecked R and was handy enough to swap the parts over. That's the only way I can see it making financial sense. Also, is there the donut spare from the sport hatch or the fix-a-flat kit from the R?

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotta get that red H on the key fobs! And maybe delete that sunroof too? Naw don't do that, sunroof definitely makes it unique, its an FK7.5! Seems as though " the Type R unibody additionally uses nearly 42.7 feet of structural adhesive at key stress areas ", whatever then heck that means.

Source: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-type-r-body-and-exterior

I assume that would be harder to add to a type r conversion? Not sure though, I know nothing about cars. I'm super curious about the 'why' too. It seems your conversion is extremely well done and must have cost a fortune, probably more than a new R. Shocking there's no documentation about it! Have you checked the body to see how close the peculiarities / shade of the R panels match the standard sport ones? I would also assume the whoever did it had a wrecked R and was handy enough to swap the parts over. That's the only way I can see it making financial sense. Also, is there the donut spare from the sport hatch or the fix-a-flat kit from the R?
Definitely doesn't have that extra structural adhesive..
Does seem like it was done by someone who was familiar with them that's for sure but 10th gens are kind of like legos, barely any tools needed for the interior trims. (Which also makes them not fit like they used to when take off)
Unfortunately I do have the fix-a-flat from the R, I do have the emergency jack and tow hook but i'm guessing those come in the Type R.

Kurt2797

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
The 2.0T motor (either CTR or Accord version) will probably twist the SI frame into pieces. Probably part of the reason why Honda didn't (and won't) put the 2.0T engine in the SI. Much work is needed to strengthen the body.
Bro the type R and the SI share the same frame. Also what about the civics out there rn making over 350 Wtq

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Bro the type R and the SI share the same frame. Also what about the civics out there rn making over 350 Wtq
Dude. Are you trying to spam this thread? Who would ever think the Type-R frame is the same the the Si? SMH... Plus, the Type-R's suspension is way better and can take much more power. "Making" 350 Wtq pushing rollers on a dyno is not driving with 350 Wtq. You can strap a jet engine on a civic and say hey it's making "1000 hp". You can push 300 tq on the Type-R for many miles.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-type-r-body-and-exterior
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-si-body-and-exterior?page=2&query=&page_size=20

Structural Adhesive
To help the Type R meet its aggressive performance goals, in addition to the welding that forms the Hatchback unibody, the Type R unibody additionally uses nearly 42.7 feet of structural adhesive at key stress areas. Applied at the seam areas of key unibody panels just before welding, the adhesive stiffens the unibody by 12-percent in lateral rigidity, enabling more aggressive suspension tuning while retaining suspension accuracy and resisting the intrusion of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH). Specific areas of application for the adhesive include the corners of all four door openings and the rear hatch opening, as well as inside the rear wheel houses.
Sponsored