K&N air filter bad for 2018 Si ?

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey all, forgive me for what may be a dumb question. I'm a novice when it comes to cars. I was planning on replacing my air filter soon, and I was thinking about using one of the K&N air filters. However, upon reading a bunch of articles and watching youtube videos, I keep hearing that they are bad to use as they can cause issues to the MAF sensor? Not exactly sure what that is, but from what I gather, the oil used on these filters can cause issues for the sensor.

Is there any air filter reccomendations I should consider, other than K&N?

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm fairly certain there are many K&N drop-in filter users on this forum, me included, that have had no issues with our MAF sensors. The only thing to keep in mind is that letting more air in to your engine for performance will also mean decreased filtering of said air

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
They are decent filters as long as you don't over oil them. That can gunk up the MAF and potentially mess with fuel trims. Although it's certainly easy enough to properly (lightly) oil them.

I personally prefer the convenience of the dry panel filters from aFe and AEM. No oiling needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
optikalillusi0n

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks for the reply! I didn't consider the decreased filtering.

OP
OP
optikalillusi0n

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They are decent filters as long as you don't over oil them. That can gunk up the MAF and potentially mess with fuel trims. Although it's certainly easy enough to properly oil them.

I personally prefer the convenience of the dry panel filters from aFe and AEM. No oiling needed.
I will check them out! Thanks!

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I’ve been running a K&N drop-in for the past 7k miles on my Si with no issues. I’ve got one in my Z too. Never had any problems with K&N air filters.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey all, forgive me for what may be a dumb question. I'm a novice when it comes to cars. I was planning on replacing my air filter soon, and I was thinking about using one of the K&N air filters. However, upon reading a bunch of articles and watching youtube videos, I keep hearing that they are bad to use as they can cause issues to the MAF sensor? Not exactly sure what that is, but from what I gather, the oil used on these filters can cause issues for the sensor.

Is there any air filter reccomendations I should consider, other than K&N?

Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
I've had my K&N SRI on for 20,000 miles now and haven't had one single issue. I am also running the Phearable 1.5 tune and my fuel trims are always good. Most of the time at 0.