First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Hi I have the ktuner with tsp stage 1 tune
I have done some datalogs and see the k control always in the .60 to .70 range during either idle, 65 mph cruise and some higher boost conditions
I changed to chevron gas 91 octane which brought the numbers down to the .60 to .67 range

I see people posting who’s numbers are always .49 steady , and mine are never anywhere near that
I don’t have any additional mods, and the iat2 numbers are pretty normal sometimes in the 80 to 100 degree range
Is this any detriment to the motor and I know timing is retarded if knock control runs high which can hurt performance as well
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This conversation seems quite familiar.

It is unrealistic to expect 91 octane fuel to maintain a knock control level of .49 on a map designed for use with 93 octane. Your knock control numbers are not unsafe but you will have reduced power output. I would recommend either accepting that at face value, or boosting octane with a light blend of ethanol. (either 1 gallon of E85 and running it as is, or installing a flex fuel kit and 35-40% total ethanol.)

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
This conversation seems quite familiar.

It is unrealistic to expect 91 octane fuel to maintain a knock control level of .49 on a map designed for use with 93 octane. Your knock control numbers are not unsafe but you will have reduced power output. I would recommend either accepting that at face value, or boosting octane with a light blend of ethanol. (either 1 gallon of E85 and running it as is, or installing a flex fuel kit and 35-40% total ethanol.)
Ok I’ll give it a try and see if the numbers change
Maybe just add 1 gallon every few fill ups so the ethanol content doesn’t accumulate
Thanks

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok I’ll give it a try and see if the numbers change
Maybe just add 1 gallon every few fill ups so the ethanol content doesn’t accumulate
Thanks
If you add 1 gallon and fill the rest up with 91 and then wait until that tank is almost empty before repeating the process you should be good to go.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of CA folks (no 93 availability) jump onboard the TSP Stage 1 train without realizing it's designed to run on 93.

In some ways people only running 91 might be better off using one of the KTuner base tunes designed to run on 91.

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
A lot of CA folks (no 93 availability) jump onboard the TSP Stage 1 train without realizing it's designed to run on 93.

In some ways people only running 91 might be better off using one of the KTuner base tunes designed to run on 91.
No there is definitely a huge performance gain noticed with the stage 3 map.
Tuners say that .6 to .7 is ok, but could little more performance with a gallon of e85 to bring the octane up a bit, just wanted to see what people’s experiences with that has been

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
@Beach civic si
With an additional GA of E85 (granted it is a 105Oct rating) would bring your 91Oct fuel to 92Oct; and at an Ethanol level of E15 (vs E10 from the pump).
This may decrease your KCON numbers closer to what you hope.
Mind you, that when you get into WOT situations that your KCON will adjust.
The TSP Map 3 is more beneficial when NOT in stop in go traffic; so, Map down when under those circumstances.

Another option is to select "Boost by Gear" and keep with a bit lower setting than the Standard Tune affords.

Opinion:
I think that your KCON is just fine with that tune. It is actually providing you with longer clutch life....food for thought.

Barry

Banned
Banned
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Hi I have the ktuner with tsp stage 1 tune
I have done some datalogs and see the k control always in the .60 to .70 range during either idle, 65 mph cruise and some higher boost conditions
I changed to chevron gas 91 octane which brought the numbers down to the .60 to .67 range

I see people posting who’s numbers are always .49 steady , and mine are never anywhere near that
I don’t have any additional mods, and the iat2 numbers are pretty normal sometimes in the 80 to 100 degree range
Is this any detriment to the motor and I know timing is retarded if knock control runs high which can hurt performance as well
It's never always 0.49 ....if you floor the car and drive hard that 0.49 will go up and then come down back after normal diving

Barry

Banned
Banned
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
If you add 1 gallon and fill the rest up with 91 and then wait until that tank is almost empty before repeating the process you should be good to go.
1 gallons of what?

Barry

Banned
Banned
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
No there is definitely a huge performance gain noticed with the stage 3 map.
Tuners say that .6 to .7 is ok, but could little more performance with a gallon of e85 to bring the octane up a bit, just wanted to see what people’s experiences with that has been
Wait you add e85 without a flex kit set up?

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
1 gallons of what?
Wait you add e85 without a flex kit set up?
Correct, he is saying to add 1-gallon of E85.
He's not saying fill the gas tank up with just E85. . . 1-gallon of E85 then the rest of the tank with 91 Octane gas.
You'd still be in be within safe ethanol levels (~15%, under 20% for sure).
Assuming gas tank is nearly empty.

I'm seeing K-Con of 0.49 ~ 0.59 with Chevron 94 gas on TSP Stage 1, Map 3.
This is also with a PRL race MAF intake.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
your fine i wouldnt worry especially since your in stock intercooler

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Ya just trying to figure out at what k control point does the ecu retard timing
Does anyone what parameter to look at in datalogs if timing is being pulled
What is the normal ignition advance number, usually it’s about 11 degrees and anything less would be retarding the timing
Sponsored