Just was curious about oil dilution experiences (si's)

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Hi guys, well, I own my car now, somewhat (well the bank does technically if I don't pay up:D ), my 2019 si. I feel like the si's (10th gens) seemed to have dodged the oil dilution issues, I feel its just a normal not excessive amount... I'm just curious if anybody has had an oil sample sent out and test results back...

I mean so far from just like smelling the oil and going by color, my oil level surprisingly 1000miles after the oil change hasn't gone over the fill mark...
(at 23,000 miles and change, and a couple oil changes in, 5000 miles apart)

I was told the L15 b7 that's in the si's have lower compression, and higher boost, only to push about 15hp more than the 1.5 crv's, and in addition, they are not pushing awd, and 600lbs or so less around, so really they aren't strained badly stock anyways in the si's...

Thanks
-Spence
Sponsored

Last edited:

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Glad that I got mine a 2019 model year as the oil dilution update has already been applied from the factory. But still I smell gas on the dipstick and slight overfill.

To combat this, I do oil change every 50% of the oil life according to the maintenance minder and I installed Fumoto valve that made oil changes really easy.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
I changed my 2020 at 7500 miles and the oil smelled normal.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan ā€¢ 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
I noticed the distinct smell of gasoline on my dipstick not long after I bought mine new in September. I also get a 'liquidy' residue - much less viscous than oil - on the paper towels when I check my oil.

Just changed my oil and filter last week and bottled a sample to send off to Blackstone in the next few days. The used oil had a STRONG smell of gas. I'll update when I get the results.

NukeKS14

First Name
A.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 1995 240sx, '65 Cobra Repl.
Country flag
The Oil Thread | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

Read your heart out on oil samples/results. When I bought my 2020 Si with 4k miles on the clock, I changed the oil immediately upon getting home. Someone had beaten me to the punch as there was a Carquest oil filter on it and I measured how much I got out; just a hair over 5 qts. It reeked of gas. Can't tell if the PO had overfilled it (I suspect) and I had dilution or what the deal was. I underfilled, just slightly, to where it was about half way up the indicator range on the dipstick to monitor. I've changed the oil once since then prior to a Colorado roadtrip I took with my wife and noted the oil level had been very consistent since I had been monitoring. I don't do much if any city driving, almost all highway and I am very cautious not to get on the throttle until the engine is fully warmed up above 177F. The story I got from the used car salesman was that it was a trade-in from a customer who had leased it pre-pandemic and hadn't been driving it at all since they were WFH. No way to tell if that was bullshit or not (more likely than not) but I believe that short city drives with the motor cold are the catalyst for a lot of the dilution issues, pre-repair anyhow. I'm tuned on Phearable 1.5R right now so I don't know how that is going to effect things but I'm still checking oil level about every other fill-up and it seems to be a non-issue with my FC3 at least.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17ā€™ Si FC3, 17ā€™ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22ā€™ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It really isnā€™t an issue if you take longer drives and donā€™t sit and idle much.

Makes me cringe when people say their oil has a STRONG gasoline smell. Gasoline has a strong odor to begin with. Even a small amount.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
No Civic had an oil dilution issue. Oil dilution is a natural part of direct injection and there have been no reports at any time of anyone having any actual problem because of it. The entire thing is just a case of armchair engineers(people that don't actually know what they are doing or talking about) doing an oil analysis and being confused by the fact that there was an insignificant amount of fuel in their oil and being loud about it on the internet.

Follow the maintenance minder for oil changes and you will not have a problem.

Royal_Purple_Oil_Filter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No Civic had an oil dilution issue. Oil dilution is a natural part of direct injection and there have been no reports at any time of anyone having any actual problem because of it. The entire thing is just a case of armchair engineers(people that don't actually know what they are doing or talking about) doing an oil analysis and being confused by the fact that there was an insignificant amount of fuel in their oil and being loud about it on the internet.

I remember there was one member here that posted the problem that he was having on his engine on which its making a weird noise. Another member said that its most probably its a specific part(I can't remember what that specific part is) in the engine that got damaged because of lack of lubrication and the picture that the OP posted of the oil on his dipstick is dark as hell and he said that his maintenance minder indicates that he is far from his next oil change.

When that owner brought his civic to a dealer to check regarding that weird noise in his engine, the dealer teared down his engine and was able to confirm what that other forum member said that specific part in the engine is really damaged because of the oil dilution/lack of lubrication. Of course the owner's car is covered under Honda's extended warranty so it still ended well for him.

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag

Well, I agree 100%, oil dilution is normal on GDI engines (1000+ psi of fuel pressure right into the combustion chamber, some will make it by the rings), its just a question of whether its excessive or not. experiencing first hand, the 1.5 crv's had the worst oil dilution issue doing oil changes on hondas all day, just a stinky watery gassy mess all over the floor with many 1.5 crv's, watching the oil come out thinner than water and spraying and splattering lol...

Typically I go 5000k miles every oil change, which is what my honda dealer does for 0w 20 and synthetic oil hondas and all sorts of other off brand cars...

So far my si oil changes at 23k (every 5000k or less) the oil has come out very viscous and consistent like a normal oily consistency, its thin 0w 20 afterall lol...

RookieOfTheGear

First Name
Ay Ay Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Honda Civic Si (Coupe)
Country flag
I have 2018 si and since the start it has alway smelled of gasoline every oil change the oil is watery . I have not had any issues I have 85,000 miles on her mixed streets /freeway pretty evenly. I do all my own oil changes,I have used 98% supertech full synthetic and twice royal purple just to see what the hype was all about (its nothing expected marketing n dam fools falling for it and buying it) I use 5w20 oil n a super tech filter, I tried once 10w20 to attempt to counter the watering down effect of the gas contamination but the engine felt slow and sluggish like it had lots of drag, the oil was obviously to thick and I got scared and changed it out that following weekend 7 day oil change more of a flush haha Iā€™m a Idiot! But I had to know n find out if it was an option. Anyone reading this I wouldnā€™t be to concerned about the oil dilution I see plenty of civic brothers driving around n the rare n very occasional and suspicious civic sister, nothing is blowing up and breaking down my car has been doing fine . I change my oil at 20% oil life and pour it down the drain back to the earth where it belongs and came from where it wants to be

OP
OP
Spence

Spence

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic SI
Country flag
Thanks, lol this is an old thread. My main concern now is not blowing my engine šŸ˜„. Tuned on phearable 1.5r now and previously had issues with 3 valve seals letting go so I upgraded the valve seals to gsc valve seals and upgraded my clutch since it blew well before the seals.

I have 2018 si and since the start it has alway smelled of gasoline every oil change the oil is watery . I have not had any issues I have 85,000 miles on her mixed streets /freeway pretty evenly. I do all my own oil changes,I have used 98% supertech full synthetic and twice royal purple just to see what the hype was all about (its nothing expected marketing n dam fools falling for it and buying it) I use 5w20 oil n a super tech filter, I tried once 10w20 to attempt to counter the watering down effect of the gas contamination but the engine felt slow and sluggish like it had lots of drag, the oil was obviously to thick and I got scared and changed it out that following weekend 7 day oil change more of a flush haha Iā€™m a Idiot! But I had to know n find out if it was an option. Anyone reading this I wouldnā€™t be to concerned about the oil dilution I see plenty of civic brothers driving around n the rare n very occasional and suspicious civic sister, nothing is blowing up and breaking down my car has been doing fine . I change my oil at 20% oil life and pour it down the drain back to the earth where it belongs and came from where it wants to be

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Attached is my oil analysis report from Sept last year. I had around 165,000 miles at the time and usually run 13,000 mile intervals between oil changes. I'm on Amsoil 0w-20 Signature Series. While the labs interpretation is not good, I sent the report to Amsoil for their interpretation. They said it looked fine. I could stretch my intervals out more, but I'd rather stay on schedule with the maintenance minder for convenience. My dilution seems to be handled with the oil I'm using. The cam lobes also looked great when I upgraded to head studs a little while ago. Not sure about all the other bearing surfaces in the engine. In no way am I advocating people run longer intervals. I'm just more comfortable with lab tests and the oil manufacturers recommendations. I also run flex fuel and drive the car pretty aggressively.
Sponsored

Attachments