Just turned on Econ button...

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I did not have any significant improvement in MPG with ECON mode. All it did was slow down my acceleration and make the car less enjoyable to drive. I do not drive aggressively at baseline, so I don't need this limiting me further. Perhaps this could be helpful for those crazy kids who find it necessary to accelerate aggressively while driving in the city despite only traveling 500 feet to the next red light.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I did not have any significant improvement in MPG with ECON mode. All it did was slow down my acceleration and make the car less enjoyable to drive. I do not drive aggressively at baseline, so I don't need this limiting me further. Perhaps this could be helpful for those crazy kids who find it necessary to accelerate aggressively while driving in the city despite only traveling 500 feet to the next red light.
Kids honesty are the people who do this the least where I live.

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Kids honesty are the people who do this the least where I live.
You're probably right! I meant "crazy kids" in more of a sarcastic manner to represent all daredevil drivers. I live near a college campus, so it might be more kids doing it around here, but that's only because there aren't as many older people in general.

Steelman2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic touring
I keep the econ button on all the time. It does limit the takeoff acceleration. What I have found is that with it on, the car drives much smoother on acceleration and eliminates most of the CVT jerkiness. I'm not a big fan of the CVT transmission but with the econ button on it makes it more tolerable. With econ off there is a significant increase in acceleration and engine response. I have always kept it on since I drive mainly highway. I guess I am used to the so called sluggishness since I have used econ from day 1. I prefer the buttery smooth feel with it on. I use my touring sedan for commuting to and from work mostly. I don't expect a civic to be a race car. I have another vehicle for hot rodding. Just my 2 cents...

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
I'm actually proud of my Civic now. I was in the left lane at a red light where the right lane ends in 50 yards. Douchebag in an older Acura was revving and fully creeping into the crosswalk. When the light turned green, he was two car lenghts ahead but even in Econ mode, my Civic eventually turned into a slingshot and zipped me past him despite a 200lb load of groceries in the trunk and 36lbs. more of charcoal briquettes plus my fat ass.

Of course, Dbag, having been publicly humiliated by everyone else who follows the rules decided to ride my ass to my turn where I tested my antilock brakes a few seconds after I signalled my turn. I guess at least his brakes worked just as well because no crash and it was a great feeling. My Civic doesn't even say turbo anywhere so I guess he'll be paranoid about pulling that stunt anymore.

Last edited:

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I notice the fan will slow down when I press the econ button. Econ will save gas if you're willing to accept slower acceleration, and you don't step on it harder to try to match the same acceleration as non-econ driving. Also, on the highway, the fuel consumption shouldn't change because at a constant cruising speed, the car should default to burning the least amount of gas to maintain that speed. There will be no advantage for the car to do otherwise.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
It's like people are surprised that it slows down your acceleration and all that. But that's the point to this button. To save gas. If you don't want the car to be slower accelerating then don't use it. I for one like using it on the highway. In town I don't bother. It's not a magic button that just allows you to drive the way you have been and just get better fuel mileage.

Pearl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CivicT
Econ mode in a turbo Civic seems like such a juxtaposition.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Ya, it should be given a "ludicrous" mode like the tesla.
Sponsored