Just Traded in my 2015 SI coupe for 2020 SI 4 dr.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Ok, I’m probably gonna sound like a bit of an a-hole but my OCD is kicking in OT.

Lugging definition- 100% throttle and zero or loss of rpm (I.e uphill).

Labouring- 100% throttle and gaining rpm (very slowly).

Neither is good for the engine.

Peak BMEP for stock is 2100 to around 3000rpm. This is the area where the highest forces are on your engine internals. Because hydrodynamic lubrication occurs best at speed, this may cause metal to metal contact at lower rpm.

So whether you want to call it lugging or labouring, it’s not great for the motor. Just because there is a lot of torque down low, doesn’t mean that you should be utilizing it.
Downshift you a higher gear and all is well.

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
What exactly does flooring it in 5th or 6th damage? (noob here still learning)
Flooring it in 5th or 6th at very low RPM will lug the engine. You are asking the vehicle to build boost and it has a hard time doing so in 5th or 6th at very low RPM.

Maybe someone can explain it in a more mechanical way.

Edit: Thank you Gotch for the explanation. ?

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ofc when i asked why not WOT in 5th and 6th gear i knew u must never lug the engine when i do spirited driving i never mash the throttle below 4k+ :) lugging the engine is like using bicycle with hardest gear at 1 mph :)

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Flooring it in 5th or 6th at very low RPM will lug the engine. You are asking the vehicle to build boost and it has a hard time doing so in 5th or 6th at very low RPM.

Maybe someone can explain it in a more mechanical way.

Edit: Thank you Gotch for the explanation. ?
Ah got it, so that's only if you're at a lower RPM, not if you're above say maybe 4k-5k right?

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
ofc when i asked why not WOT in 5th and 6th gear i knew u must never lug the engine when i do spirited driving i never mash the throttle below 4k+ :) lugging the engine is like using bicycle with hardest gear at 1 mph :)
This metaphor is literally how I've been teaching my friends how to drive stick. "Think of a bike, now do that":doh:

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ah got it, so that's only if you're at a lower RPM, not if you're above say maybe 4k-5k right?
That is correct. Even at lower gears, I only go WOT when the engine speed is above 3k. If you are above 4-5k in 5th or 6th, you are pretty much triple digits already.
Sponsored