Just removed my air resonator... without even having to jack up the car!

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So the airbox itself is easy as pie. The two bolts that are threaded in from under the resonator box ended up being pretty easy too with a ratcheting wrench. Leave the top threaded bolt in place, as well as the bottom threaded one that's connected to the same brace as the top threaded one. You have to do it by feel, but just get the wrench around the one closest to the front of the car, and loosen it all the way. My wrench actually got stuck under the resonator once that bolt was free, because the space is so tight. However, you then just take out the top threaded bolt and the whole thing is free. Then remove the bracket from the resonator, and twist and wiggle until you get it up and out. The whole process took me less than 30 minutes.

The sound change is small, but noticeable. You don't get a big WOOOOSH like you do with an aftermarket intake, but you can hear the turbo whistling away when you rev. It's neat.

I do have a question about the resonator though. I can't for the life of me figure out HOW it made the intake more quiet? The airflow into the intake comes from the top of the airbox and swoops down around the back and then under, before going through the filter to the top of the airbox, and then off to the MAF and so on. The only opening I can see between the airbox and the resonator is the drain hole? Otherwise the resonator is just a hollow box that the airbox sits on. Is it just an acoustical thing?
Sponsored

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's really cool! Thanks for the link!

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have a question about the resonator though. I can't for the life of me figure out HOW it made the intake more quiet? The airflow into the intake comes from the top of the airbox and swoops down around the back and then under, before going through the filter to the top of the airbox, and then off to the MAF and so on. The only opening I can see between the airbox and the resonator is the drain hole? Otherwise the resonator is just a hollow box that the airbox sits on. Is it just an acoustical thing?
its designed to cancel certain acoustic noise frequancies at certain rpms making it quieter
Sponsored