Just looked at a 2016 Civic Coupe Touring yesterday

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Ok, so I walked in and told Honda what I was looking for and he thought the EX-L was the closest to my needs but only had a Touring model. He brought it out anyway and when I looked at it, I knew this was a perfect match for me. The sticker was $26k.

The dealer had some extra stuff of which I might not opt for but they included something like lojack called iTraxx I think. Seemed interesting and Im sure offers insurance discounts.

I'm after a Modern Steel with black/grey leather. I don't know how common this is out there.
Seems a dealer just south of me might have one.

So I had a few questions to this group since my last Honda was a 1982 Accord LX (LOL).

1. If we did an order on this vs a locate, what is a realistic time frame?
2. So far, with the 2016 coupes are there any 'known' gotchas or issues that affect buyers that Honda has yet to address?

I'm going from a paid off 2013 Ram Laramie 4x4 to this small car. I suspect the trade in value of my Ram will exceed the Coupe cost by a few thousand so I might purchase the Honda Care warranty and some extras to add to the Coupe:

-body side molding
-door edge guards
-splash guard set
-underbody spoiler side
-all season floor mats
-console illumination
-interior illumination

-Hanadarko
Sponsored

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Imo all those things are just wasteful money grabs. The body side molding makes it look like a cheap 90s' family car. Whatever you do don't buy the extended warranty directly from the dealer. And don't pay $26K, it can be had for under <24K.

Great car but right now the subwoofer has a horrible rattle and you get raffles elsewhere too.

OP
OP

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
There is a lunar silver one for discounted $24451 here so that seems to align with your pricing comment.
However, the "Modern Steel" is all but impossible to find. Dealers in TX and AL have some but nothing even remotely close to here.
If we can even get one brought up from there, it will be very hard to get much of a discount on a color that is so rare.

But Modern Steel and Lunar Silver are the only colors I will consider. If I cant get one, I need to look into some other coupe.

When I bought the Honda bike, I had looked online for a Honda Care warranty and got the price. Dealer tried to sell me the warranty at almost full price but when I showed and told her the Ebay price, they matched it on the spot.

I put 48-50,000 miles a year on a car so I am not sure even an extended warranty will be of much use...

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I'm in your area and so far Coupe's are just trickling in. One dealer told me that since there are very few of them around it's not as easy to do a swap with another dealer for the color you want. That was my case, I wanted green and the only one around was in Illinois and that dealer wasn't about to swap it out to a dealer closer to me so I bought it down there. If you are in no hurry I'm sure you'll be able to get what you want from a local dealer. I had some interesting experiences with local Honda dealers, I don't know which one you are talking to but there are a couple I would never buy from. But that's me.

As for accessories I got the wing spoiler which I LOVE and the console LED's and interior LED's which I find nice but not "must have". It's all so subjective. Take other peoples opinions (including on this board) as just that, opinions. Go with what YOU like not what other people tell you to get or don't get. It's YOUR car.

I don't usually buy any kind of extended warranties but with all of the electronics and Sensing and it being a new Gen I'm definitely going to get it. Not from the dealer though, I'm goint with Hyannis. $1015 for the 8 year/120K no deductible. I haven't bought it yet but I have until I get 6000 miles on the car.

What you pay has a lot to do with supply/demand. So someone from another part of the country can tell you "don't pay more than XXXXXX" but that might not apply to our part of the country.

I have had my coupe 2 weeks now and have had no issues, No subwoofer rattle at all and I crank it all the way up with some good head banging stuff :) I absolutely love this car. LOVE IT

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Does the subwoofer rattle issue even apply to the coupe? As I understand it, on the sedan it rattles the rear deck and since the whole back of the coupe is different (and smaller), I'm assuming the rear deck and assembly around it is also different. The sub is in the trunk which is also different in the coupe so it might not even be in the same place.

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP
You may want to check to see if the side underbody spoiler is compatible with splash guards. The coupe might have a different configuration, but they can't be installed together on the sedan. Good luck in your search!

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
Does the subwoofer rattle issue even apply to the coupe? As I understand it, on the sedan it rattles the rear deck and since the whole back of the coupe is different (and smaller), I'm assuming the rear deck and assembly around it is also different. The sub is in the trunk which is also different in the coupe so it might not even be in the same place.
Good point. I believe some with the coupe have reported the issue. Sometimes it's psychosomatic with stuff like this :) All I know is no sub woofer issue with my coupe and I've tested it believe me :)

snowdog9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring MSM
On March 15 I talked to Honda of Kirkland about getting a touring coupe in modern steel metallic. I put a deposit of $500 and took delivery a week ago. So that's a month and a week?

Stuff and things:
- no dents
- voice recognition works ok (although I hate having to say 'music search' every time I want to control the ipod)
- no sub rattles (but sub is easily overwhelemed...will be replacing with a sealed 10 as soon as possible)
- infotainment has been flawless so far
- haven't used android auto yet (afraid it will be the straw that breaks the camels back ;) )
- auto wipers behave great sometimes...sometimes just run constantly

TL;DR - Love it...would buy again.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry I didn't realize you meant coupe. You might expect a higher price.

OP
OP

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Hey guys, change of plans. I examined the Accord and Civic and tried several models of each and now narrowed it down to a Lunar Silver Civic 4 door.
Go figure :)

There are several of them around here - not a hard car to find at least.

Dealing with Honda City:
MSRP was $27395
My so-called best price was $25,444. Plus tax/title/fees/surcharges/overcharges etc etc...

Problem was my trade. KBB shows me at $29-32k for 'trade-in' value here in my area. NOT RETAIL but TRADE.
The dealer went into there little huddle of theirs and came out with $25k for my trade.

I looked at him and asked him if he was joking. I did my homework and went to three different sites to obtain a fair trade-in value
and knew they'd screw me. I got up and walked out.

The problem is the two other dealers in my area "All-Star Honda and Racine Honda" weren't much different. Both had excellent salesmen but once the all-mighty rough and tough Manager got involved the deal went sideways. I have no issues walking out. Even from the finance dept if I feel I'm being taken advantage of.

So, I am going to try and work with two IL dealers just south of the WI border. Failing that, I may have to give up on Honda and go with a 2nd choice from another manufacturer....

At least NOW i know the car I want - just need to find a dealer that will at least come in the 'range' of the trade-value as stated online from reputable sites.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey guys, change of plans. I examined the Accord and Civic and tried several models of each and now narrowed it down to a Lunar Silver Civic 4 door.
Go figure :)

There are several of them around here - not a hard car to find at least.

Dealing with Honda City:
MSRP was $27395
My so-called best price was $25,444. Plus tax/title/fees/surcharges/overcharges etc etc...

Problem was my trade. KBB shows me at $29-32k for 'trade-in' value here in my area. NOT RETAIL but TRADE.
The dealer went into there little huddle of theirs and came out with $25k for my trade.

I looked at him and asked him if he was joking. I did my homework and went to three different sites to obtain a fair trade-in value
and knew they'd screw me. I got up and walked out.

The problem is the two other dealers in my area "All-Star Honda and Racine Honda" weren't much different. Both had excellent salesmen but once the all-mighty rough and tough Manager got involved the deal went sideways. I have no issues walking out. Even from the finance dept if I feel I'm being taken advantage of.

So, I am going to try and work with two IL dealers just south of the WI border. Failing that, I may have to give up on Honda and go with a 2nd choice from another manufacturer....

At least NOW i know the car I want - just need to find a dealer that will at least come in the 'range' of the trade-value as stated online from reputable sites.
Yeah don't deal with them. Always deal with Internet sales managers. Find quotes from all over the state and play them off each other.

OP
OP

hanadarko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Sadly the guy at Honda City was the internet sales manager. He was fair enough but at the discretion of the stuffed shirts behind the all mighty towering desk.
They are the ones that quoted me crap for the trade. The internet manager got upset that I was disappointed. Seriously?
He told me he was surprised I was mad at him. I told him that wasnt the case but found it odd that he would present me such an insulting offer for my trade instead of making his boss do the dirty work....so if your going to be the messenger of bad news, take the lumps that come with it.

His response?
"Well no one ever said we gave them TOO much for their trade"

True. But I said I expected fair market value. They will put the trade-in on the lot for $35k+ I presume. Its still under factory warranty until Thanksgiving. They have nothing to loose or worry about and factory warranty is a big selling point.

So I will reach out further out of my area and see what comes of it before giving up on Honda...
Sponsored