joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
Sorry I missed responding to this months ago!
The install took me about 21 hours. That also includes installing a new PRL Cobra Race Intake as well as PRL FP/DP since the originals had to come off anyway as well as learn how to load the proper tune via KTuner. I took my time didn't want to rush but I made one mistake during the process that cost me about 5 extra hours of rework and have since spoken with Vincent @27Won about including this extra part in the kit so that others would avoid my mistake. You have to be careful removing/peeling off the thin metal oil line gasket from the stock turbo and carry it over to be reused on the new turbo. Mine was sticking tot he turbo and when I removed it I accidentally creased it just a bit. No worries I thought I tapped it back straight with a flat piece of metal and thought the pressure from being sandwiched between the new turbo and the bolted in oil line of the other side would flatten and keep it sealed. I didn't give it much thought after that and moved forward. Upon test driving the car and getting about a mile from my house my hood area starting smoking and I smelled burnt oil. So I went straight home and called 27Won at like 7 PM CST on a Sunday expecting to leave a msg asking for ideas. To my surprise Vincent picked up the phone and going over my install steps guided me right to this oil seal thereby saving me from having to remove everything and starting over. He said I should be able to remove the Heat-shield/Downpipe and oil line and access the oil gasket from under the car. Absolutely saved me hours as I was about to unbolt everything all over again and start fresh. The next day morning I took a drive to the Honda dealer, picked up the oil seal for $8 and re-bolted everything back up and all has been good since. My only suggestion was to include this $8 oil seal as part of the kit so that others avoid this potential pitfall. In the end I can't say enough great things about Vincent/27Won and their taking time to walk you thru issues over the phone and offer advice, saved me tons of stress and time :)

Thanks!
Mark
Nice. I will keep that step in mind. What are you doing about your tune? I am assuming that you downloaded the w1 base map ktuner provides and are now working on custom tune? Just wondering how your process is with the tuning. It is one of the main things I am concerned about when I install mine in the sometime future.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Marky

Marky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm still using the included KTuner - 27Won Turbo Upgrade RACE tune still on stock clutch which has been fine. I have EMANs Type-R flywheel/clutch retrofit kit still boxed up in my garage with the intention of making a road trip to DRob's shop for the clutch install and tune. However I think I will wait until a new TIP - Turbo Inlet Pipe becomes available and install that then have the tune done. Considering the drive from Chicago, IL to Harrisburg, Pa I really only want to make that drive once and having the TIP affect the air to the larger turbo it would be nice to have everything installed and tuned once. And I have an Eibach front sway bar and whiteline endlinks and Frame Collar Kit sitting next to the clutch retrofit kit to all go in at the same time :)

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Great write up! I myself am looking at the 27Won turbo upgrade and I will also not be using ethanol. Too bad that California only has 91 and not 93 octane :( I'm on the TSP Stage 1 tune with 91 octane right now and everything seems to be just fine. Hoping that the 27Won turbo upgrade works well with pump gas!

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I'm still using the included KTuner - 27Won Turbo Upgrade RACE tune still on stock clutch which has been fine. I have EMANs Type-R flywheel/clutch retrofit kit still boxed up in my garage with the intention of making a road trip to DRob's shop for the clutch install and tune. However I think I will wait until a new TIP - Turbo Inlet Pipe becomes available and install that then have the tune done. Considering the drive from Chicago, IL to Harrisburg, Pa I really only want to make that drive once and having the TIP affect the air to the larger turbo it would be nice to have everything installed and tuned once. And I have an Eibach front sway bar and whiteline endlinks and Frame Collar Kit sitting next to the clutch retrofit kit to all go in at the same time :)
You have to break the clutch in before you dyno the car, from my understanding you want at least 500 miles on it first, some day up to 1k

OP
OP
Marky

Marky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did not stop breaking it in until the rigidness of the new piece went away. Took right around 1,000 miles.
Thanks for the heads up on the break in period as I will have to talk to DRob about this. That could change my plans as I'd have to get the clutch installed from a reputable and preferably Honda exclusive/expert shop in Chicago area prior to making my trip out to DRobs shop in Pa. Organic clutch material needs break in as you pointed out. My previous Mustang had a non-organic Kevlar clutch installed and didn't need a break in period so I forgot to consider...

Thanks!
Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Mark Im from Chicago too.
Im considering on adding a 27turbo in my sport HB.
Hows your clutch holding up? Have you done a pull lately?
Ive been debating which upgrade to get first, turbo or emans clutch.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I would get the clutch first to get it out of the way. It is an expensive nuisance that is better yanked off like a bandaid. That way when you do install the turbo, you don't have anything holding you back.

OP
OP
Marky

Marky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My stock clutch has been holding up fine over the past 8 months since I installed the turbo along with FP/DP, FMIC and Cobra CAI. But I am also very aware of the slipping issue and have experienced it on accelerating from a stop on summer Indy 500 tires a few times already. So try and tone down the spirited driving and only really get on it at about 80% of throttle and while already moving until i can get Emans clutch kit installed. Need to locate a place in the area that I'm comfortable with soon though. I don't want to be surprised and rushed to choose an installer when the day the clutch fails for good finally arrives :)

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
Need to locate a place in the area that I'm comfortable with soon though
Hey also from IL, Naperville. I have been looking for Honda/Acura shops for a while and the most reputable I have found are One6 Motorsports and King Motorsports (WI). King is the best of the best and One6 did some work on my last Civic and it went well. Hope to see you around!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I vouch for one6 too.
Thats where Im planning to get my clutch and LSD installed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a clutch, lsd, and turbo now! but its not installed yet hahah
anyways, does the non-si have 27won turbo base map in the ktuner?

Mortimus

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t
Country flag
Do you happen to have the 27won install guide? I just bought one and it didn’t come with it

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm debating this, but looking at the post with the fastest 1/4 mile times there are guys mid 12s on stock turbo while the fastest posted car with this turbo is in the 13s.
Sponsored