Just how strong is lane assist/etc correction supposed to be?

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Just how strong a force is the lane assist supposed to be? I remember reading people saying they didn’t like it because they felt like it was fighting them, but on mine I can hardly feel it. Also, when going on curves it sure seems like it has a hard time tracking. 2019 Hatch EX if it matters. Same for the warning when you go out of the lane, it it even does anything at all.

Is this a measurable thing so I know if I should talk to the dealer or not?
Sponsored

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Whwn i go out of a lane the the only time it jerks noticeably is if i have LKAS on. If LKAS is not on i will simply recieve a beep and a flashing warning.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
It doesn't steer the car so much as make it easier for you to steer the car. It can manage very gentle curves but even then it will start flashing "steering is required" if it thinks it's doing too much of the work.

Pxfs13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic coupe sport
Country flag
Just how strong a force is the lane assist supposed to be? I remember reading people saying they didn’t like it because they felt like it was fighting them, but on mine I can hardly feel it. Also, when going on curves it sure seems like it has a hard time tracking. 2019 Hatch EX if it matters. Same for the warning when you go out of the lane, it it even does anything at all.

Is this a measurable thing so I know if I should talk to the dealer or not?
Its not supposed to be very strong or even a very advanced self driving system, its mostly meant for small curves while traveling on the highway. I've noticed it as a much harder time tracking when there are less cars by me.

OP
OP
n9yty

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, basically worthless. LoL Maybe that is too harsh. I know it is not intended to be and should not be used as an automated driving system, but honestly with as little force as it uses it can't keep the car in the lane most of the time, certainly not to prevent you from leaving the roadway even when LKAS is on. It works nothing like the videos show it, so as with many things it seems it is more for marketing than real world.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
So, basically worthless. LoL Maybe that is too harsh. I know it is not intended to be and should not be used as an automated driving system, but honestly with as little force as it uses it can't keep the car in the lane most of the time, certainly not to prevent you from leaving the roadway even when LKAS is on. It works nothing like the videos show it, so as with many things it seems it is more for marketing than real world.
Mine works perfectly.

Can eat breakfast and drink coffee while the LKAS drives.

Now it's not very strong at all. And I do drive mostly on flat straight highways with only mild curves.

It will "pinball" between the lines. But you really need to let it go on a safe stretch of road and you will see it correct it self once it gets too close to the lane edge. (Once you exceed the time limit the pinball effect will increase dramatically and eventually LKAS will turn off, so only do it in a really safe environment)

If you still can't get the LKAS to control the car somewhat you should check to see if your wheels need alignment. (LKAS won't like roads that have to much of a bank/camber to them)

But as others suggested it's more of a way to make steering easier and lighter.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not that strong, but it works pretty good and forgiving. I drove my friends '20 Toyota RAV4 on a trip we took to New York, and oh my gawd, that LKAS is menacing. The moment you even hit a centimeter out the lane it lunges you hard. It really wants you to stay "centered". Honda on the other hand, is like a baby puppy bite. You feel it, but it doesn't do a much. I've just gotten used to it, it does its job pretty well.

Last edited:

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
The way you describe it doesn't represent at all my experience.

In my car, it's definitely strong enough to keep the car inside the lane, including in curves. And some were mentioning light curves only. I tested it with my hands hovering in a not so light curve and it was able to follow the road. That said, there is definitely a point where if the curve is too strong, it will try to follow the lane but not keep the car in it.

I've never had that bouncing effect from line to line in a lane either.

That said, I got my windshield fractured in the summer of 2018 and after having the glass replaced (with an OEM one), the system definitely needed recalibration. If you see that the system is having a hard time detecting the lines (that can be monitored on the dash), is not tracking centered in the lane or sometimes believe that you are leaving the road when it's not the case, it most probably needs a recalibration.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Would be awesome if the centre console display showed you a detailed view of What LKAS is doing , a bit like a Tesla.

Would be interesting to see at the least.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The way you describe it doesn't represent at all my experience.

In my car, it's definitely strong enough to keep the car inside the lane, including in curves. And some were mentioning light curves only. I tested it with my hands hovering in a not so light curve and it was able to follow the road. That said, there is definitely a point where if the curve is too strong, it will try to follow the lane but not keep the car in it.

I've never had that bouncing effect from line to line in a lane either.

That said, I got my windshield fractured in the summer of 2018 and after having the glass replaced (with an OEM one), the system definitely needed recalibration. If you see that the system is having a hard time detecting the lines (that can be monitored on the dash), is not tracking centered in the lane or sometimes believe that you are leaving the road when it's not the case, it most probably needs a recalibration.
Same experience for me with LKAS. No bouncing effect. Works on not so light curves. Fights me pretty good when I try to leave the lane.

Definitely not meant to drive on it’s own, but it is a pretty good driving aid.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Lane departure warning and lane keep assist are 2 different things, fyi. LKAS needs to be turned on/off and will turn off under 34mph(?). Lane departure is the one that will flash a warning and try to nudge you back into the lane, but wont do anything prior to leaving the lane. That's turned off by holding the button just below the traction control. There's also a setting you can adjust for it.

OP
OP
n9yty

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lane departure warning and lane keep assist are 2 different things, fyi. LKAS needs to be turned on/off and will turn off under 34mph(?). Lane departure is the one that will flash a warning and try to nudge you back into the lane, but wont do anything prior to leaving the lane. That's turned off by holding the button just below the traction control. There's also a setting you can adjust for it.
Yes, that is all true, but it uses the same mechanics and likely the same 'force' to correct your steering based on what they want to do, and that is really what I am asking about.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
For my 2018 Sport Touring LKAS uses enough force to keep my car in the lane on Interstates except for when they go through the mountains.

As an experiment on a very long stretch and no traffic around I wanted to see what would happen if I took my hands off the wheel. Initially LKAS kept it centered, then got a warning that “steering required” after that LKAS is disengaged and the car slowly drifted toward one side until it started to go out of my lane then the lane departure kicked in and nudged it the other way. At that point lane departure will keep it between the lines for awhile with the pinball affect.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
LKAS is an assist. If your hands are not on the steering wheel providing any input it detects this & will eventually give you that warning “steering required”.

I never checked how sharp of a curve it can follow, but it does need to detect a line on each side or a curb so it knows what to follow. If the line or curb ends on the right side because there is an exit ramp for example then the LKAS is lost.

dsegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Pilot, 2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring MT6
Country flag
I view these technologies as more of a gentle assist that can help when you're driving tired. They can help prevent an accident, but are in now way meant to drive the car without the user being in control.
Sponsored