Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
So, it's all good - completed the oil change and got them to change the oil filter because it's the first oil change. I didn't want any possibly whatsoever of debris from assembly clogging up the filter. If it's not in the pan on the magnet, it's in the filter, so best to change it first service IMO.

I had an odd issue I have never had before where there is a scoring noise when turning and it's worse when it's cold and damp. This is my first car with electric steering, so I wasn't sure was going on. There have been electric steering issues similar to this that are with the steering itself, but it turns out it was just the front backing plates - it's warranty, so no big deal. They adjusted them and it's fine.

For the sake of record and if anyone wonders, the mileage was 12,354 KMS over almost exactly 7-months (3-days shy) and the Maintenance Minder Oil Life was 15%. Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection was perfect, with tread depths after tire rotation of LF 8.5/32nds; RF 8.5/32nds; LR 8/32nds; RR 8/32nds. Tire pressures were all 35 PSI.

I feel super lazy now that I do nothing to my car except was it, put gas and washer fluid in it, with the exception of weekly oil and fluid checks. I don't even check the tire pressure anymore because they're nitrogen filled - I just inspect the wear of the tires now to determine if they're under-pressure.

I hope everyone's enjoying their CivicXs, relatively issue-free and have good service experiences. So far, so good with me.

Ciao!
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
What's 8.5/32nds? 1/4 of the thread remaining after 12K km? Summer or A/S tires? Any sign of oil dillution?

I'm debating if I should change my oil at 1K or 2K miles. Got 700 miles so far after 2 months.

OP
OP
FC3L15B7

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's 8.5/32nds? 1/4 of the thread remaining after 12K km? Summer or A/S tires? Any sign of oil dillution?

I'm debating if I should change my oil at 1K or 2K miles. Got 700 miles so far after 2 months.
Yes, 8.5/32nds (8 on the fronts before tire rotation) is roughly 1/4" tread depth.

They are the OE Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S. I didn't measure them when they were new, but they were probably 10/32nds" tread depth brand new. For an 80,000 mile tire, they're wearing more than twice as fast as what they're rated for and I'm not particularly hard on them. At the current rate of wear, they would be completely bald like slicks at 80,000 miles.

Very minimal oil dilution in terms of oil level. There was definitely gas in the oil, but only a difference of less than 100 ml and that's not enough to worry about. It was barely over the full line on the dipstick. Given oil volatility, the gas probably just displaced the evaporated oil elements. Was it "bad" - no, not for a gas direct injection engine. It was normal.

If you're not experiencing problems, it wouldn't be necessary to change the oil, unless Honda told you to. You read a lot about changing the oil after the first 1,500 miles in a new car, but Honda told me specifically don't bother bringing it in until Maintenance Minder is 15% or less. They went as far to say they wouldn't even change the oil if it's not at least down to 15%.

My oil was so clean for so long after I bought the car. It looked like beer it was so clean. If I had changed the oil at 1,500 miles, it would have been like :flame:?

The truth is, any wear-in filings will end up in the oil pan and attract to the magnet in the pan and those that do not will be in the filter. I specifically told Honda to change the oil filter, even though it's not scheduled this service in the event there is debris in the filter. They were happy to do so. That makes more sense to me than burning money.

Having said that, if you're really concerned, just ask them - it's their warranty. :) If they say yes, go for it. If they say no, don' t bother - we have 4-years and 10s of 1000s of miles on these to prove overall reliability. Most people are still like, "Change the oil? What are you talking about? I just bring it in for service and pay the bill", because most people walk through life like..

Well, they're like this @ 3:30

?

RAF247

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You asked to have the oil filter changed? They don't automatically change the filter? I change my own oil and always change the filter, I thought that was just standard practice.

OP
OP
FC3L15B7

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You asked to have the oil filter changed? They don't automatically change the filter? I change my own oil and always change the filter, I thought that was just standard practice.
According to the maintenance schedule, the oil filter is scheduled to be changed every other oil change. They do this to keep more of them out of landfills.

So, my maintenance due was A 1.

MAIN ITEM A
Factory Recommended Maintenance
  • Replace engine oil
SUB-ITEM 1
  • Rotate tires :Inspect for wear and adjust pressure.

Next time, it will be 0 instead of A (and possibly a sub-item):

MAIN ITEM 0
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
seems kind of odd not to change the filter when doing an oil change to me.nothing like leaving whatever crap is in the filter still there.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, oddly enough, the two dealers who changed my oil when I used to let them touch it, always changed the filter, or at least said they did despite the mm only calling for it every other change.
I did witness them do this on my very first ever change as I had asked them to show me how to remove the metal plate so I could start doing it myself. Who knows, maybe they did only change it then just because i was watching, but they did say it was dumb to use a dirty filter with clean oil.

OP
OP
FC3L15B7

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
seems kind of odd not to change the filter when doing an oil change to me.nothing like leaving whatever crap is in the filter still there.
I've read about the oil filters they use now with synthetic oils are capable of the necessary flow rates for twice as long. There is no evidence to support not changing these types of filters at every interval has impact on oil performance or engine life. They are designed for it.

That is not to say I feel safe leaving the oil filter on for two intervals. To me, it's like cleaning a wound and putting the old bandage back on. ?

I also tend to put new fasteners on anything exposed (like underneath) to weather or high heat cycles, such as exhaust and brake calipers, when replacing or repairing.. I only use lug nuts for 2 on/off cycles before replacing them with new ones. So, after two swaps to winter tires, I replace them when summer tires go back on. They're soft metal (softer than the studs) and the lug nuts threads stretch - they're supposed to stretch instead of the studs when overtightened, and no matter how many times I tell a shop to zip them on lightly, then tighten and torque them down, they just ram the fucking things on anyway. Assholes. Anyway, they also subjected to a lot of heat cycles.
Sponsored