Just got my 4ch amp installed. Sounds awesome.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
how do we get the specs on our dsp box and how to tap in ?
Are you talking about opening the amp up and trying to solder something onto the circuit board to tap the signal from the DSP chip before it gets to the amplification circuit? That's pretty advanced. To install a FiX-86 or anything like it, all you need to do is tap into the wires going from the factory amp to the speakers like you would in any other car. All you need to do that is the wiring diagram, which has been posted on this site.
Sponsored

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
thanks. I actually spent hours this weekend, because I decided I am going to do this because I just cant stand the stereo system the more I drive around in it. so I got a very long explanation of this task at hand from a local stereo shope - which I may add was a pro and knew his stuff. I need to check again, but basically this guy said that there are two options when doing this. apparently, for 800+ roughly you can get 1 unit that does the DSP fix and also an amp on all 8-channels in one unit. several vendors do this and it does cost more but as he explained the install charge of doing two or three units sometimes will be as much or more than getting a more professional setup. very interesting conversation this wknd, but I have decided I will be pulling the trigger soon. ;)

VideoVamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
thanks. I actually spent hours this weekend, because I decided I am going to do this because I just cant stand the stereo system the more I drive around in it. so I got a very long explanation of this task at hand from a local stereo shope - which I may add was a pro and knew his stuff. I need to check again, but basically this guy said that there are two options when doing this. apparently, for 800+ roughly you can get 1 unit that does the DSP fix and also an amp on all 8-channels in one unit. several vendors do this and it does cost more but as he explained the install charge of doing two or three units sometimes will be as much or more than getting a more professional setup. very interesting conversation this wknd, but I have decided I will be pulling the trigger soon. ;)
Let me know what you end up doing. I have a 2017 touring and would love to do some DSP.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
The fix product looks good. But im guessing its going to take a steeeo shop that is a step above ur usual low budget places. Maybe I am not giving them enough credit, but most stereo places wouldnt know the first thing about these devices.

I wish there would be videos on how to tap into our oem dsp....haven't found any
I think Rikdrt1 is right. Most audio shops wouldn't know what to do with standalone DSP modules.
I don't think Best Buy is even capable of doing this with their "geek squad".
On some DSPs, its just a matter of cutting the speaker wires after our OEM amp and running it into the DSP and then
having the DSP run RCAs to another amp and then tying it all back to the factory speakers.

I'm actually curious if we can run the digital output from the headunit through an aftermarket DSP and THEN to the OEM amp.
That'd be much simpler but I've yet to see anyone try it. I can't dish out $300-500 for the JL twk88 or D8 to test this theory.

I love the OEM stereo system in my Coupe EX-T. It would just be so much better if I had a 8 band parametric equalizer and crossover for all my interior speakers.

Trey

R-00621
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #00621
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think Rikdrt1 is right. Most audio shops wouldn't know what to do with standalone DSP modules.
I don't think Best Buy is even capable of doing this with their "geek squad".
On some DSPs, its just a matter of cutting the speaker wires after our OEM amp and running it into the DSP and then
having the DSP run RCAs to another amp and then tying it all back to the factory speakers.

I'm actually curious if we can run the digital output from the headunit through an aftermarket DSP and THEN to the OEM amp.
That'd be much simpler but I've yet to see anyone try it. I can't dish out $300-500 for the JL twk88 or D8 to test this theory.

I love the OEM stereo system in my Coupe EX-T. It would just be so much better if I had a 8 band parametric equalizer and crossover for all my interior speakers.
The factory radio has a non standard coaxial cable from the radio to the dsp.

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well ... snipping the coax cable and soldering an RCA connector isn't a major hassle for me.
I'm just curious if it'll actually work.
Looks like most major standalone aftermarket DSPs don't have a coax SPDIF output ...
Some of them have an optical output, but that would mean wiring up a optical to coax converter.
Sigh ... I'm fairly certain the OEM amp has enough wattage for me, but I need an eq and crossover ...

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
well ... snipping the coax cable and soldering an RCA connector isn't a major hassle for me.
I'm just curious if it'll actually work.
Looks like most major standalone aftermarket DSPs don't have a coax SPDIF output ...
Some of them have an optical output, but that would mean wiring up a optical to coax converter.
Sigh ... I'm fairly certain the OEM amp has enough wattage for me, but I need an eq and crossover ...

I am still considering making the plunge to install an aftermarket DSP.... and full 9 channel tune. I have heard that the results are amazing, but i think ill spend that money on an exhaust first.

I suggest change all 4 component speakers first .... the difference is amazing....

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am still considering making the plunge to install an aftermarket DSP.... and full 9 channel tune. I have heard that the results are amazing, but i think ill spend that money on an exhaust first.

I suggest change all 4 component speakers first .... the difference is amazing....
9 channel? but there's 10 ... isn't there?
As far as exhaust goes, I know a local muffler shop that'll chop off the "scuba tank" (resonator) and mufflers and weld straight pipes for around $60-$150. LOL!
Not the most elegant way to do things, but ... its cheaper and I doubt it'll sound bad. I did the same thing to my last car and my cousin's car with good results.
Last car was a 2nd Gen 2008 Scion xB2 with a turbo, and cousin's car is a 2002 Camry with that same turbo implanted after I wrecked the Scion.
Watched a few videos of different people unbolting the exhaust from before the resonator, and it doesn't sound bad. I already did the PRL downpipe.
I was actually debating on dumping off the side of the front bumper, but ... I dunno ...

As for changing the 4 component speakers ...
I really don't want to mess with the tweeters cuz they actually don't sound too bad, and they fit perfectly where they're supposed to be.
I just haven't had any good experiences with any aftermarket speakers. I've listened to infinty kappas, perfects, kenwoods, sonys, pioneers and a bunch of others.
They only thing I WOULD do is maybe add some horns to the rear deck, but I just don't feel like going through the trouble of finding a place to mount it and all that.
Like I said, in my opinion, the OEM sound is perfect for me. I just need a DSP to crossover the HPF on the interior speakers.
Because at 30+ volume, even with the bass and subwoofer at -15 or whatever, I still hear bass distorting the rest of the music.
Sponsored