Just got back from having a resonator delete done...

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spent my lunch hour at work today running to a muffler place (Discount Muffler in OKC) to have my resonator removed. Took less than half an hour and cost $80.

The sound is great! This is how the exhaust should have sounded from the factory, no question. Someone on here posted that if the factory note is a 1 out of 10, then the resonator delete is about a 3 out of 10. I'm going to have to agree with them. It's noticeable, but just barely. The exhaust note is just slightly deeper than stock, and just a wee bit louder. And it won't piss off my neighbors! :D
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah you wouldn't think it would need to break in, but it gets louder and deeper after a break in period. Combined with the PRL Cobra CAI, it sounds really good!

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fellow who I quoted about the sound levels said the same thing. I'm with you; I wouldn't think a piece of straight pipe could "break in" in any way, but you two are now three folks who've said that.

I wonder if it has to do with the metal heating/cooling and it "melding" better with the pipe fore and aft of it, hence causing a better tone?

Last edited:

koriw1.5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
The fellow who I quoted about the sound levels said the same thing. I'm with you; I wouldn't think a piece of straight pipe could "break in" in any way, but you two are now three folks who've said that.

I wonder if it has to do with the metal heating/cooling and it "melding" better with the pipe fore and aft of it, hence causing a better tone?
Could it be the build-up of carbon as to why the "break in" makes it sound better?
Personally I have the resonator deleted with a straight pipe and also replaced the stock muffler for a Magnalfow 4x9. (https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11225)
I'm also running a 2.oL not a 1.5L

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could it be the build-up of carbon as to why the "break in" makes it sound better?
Personally I have the resonator deleted with a straight pipe and also replaced the stock muffler for a Magnalfow 4x9. (https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=11225)
I'm also running a 2.oL not a 1.5L
Could be. However, coming at it from an instrument point of view, I'd think the build up would essentially make the diameter smaller, hence making the note higher? I'm pulling this out of thin air, of course, so take this with a pound of salt, haha.

Do you have any sound clips/pics of your setup?

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
I just did my resonator delete on Monday. lol. I agree, does sound better and a little louder. Not sure about deeper though, which was the tone I was really aiming for unfortunately. It's Thursday now, how long did it take for all you guys for your resonator delete to fully "break in" ?

Edit: Didn't drive my car today so only drove it for 3 days.....

koriw1.5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Could be. However, coming at it from an instrument point of view, I'd think the build up would essentially make the diameter smaller, hence making the note higher? I'm pulling this out of thin air, of course, so take this with a pound of salt, haha

Do you have any sound clips/pics of your setup?
I'll get a clip up soon. Probably tomorrow.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure about deeper though, which was the tone I was really aiming for unfortunately. It's Thursday now, how long did it take for all you guys for your resonator delete to fully "break in" ?
Yeah, it wasn't a huge shift in octave or anything. To me it's "deeper" in the sense that you can actually hear the exhaust now, haha. Being only a liter and a half, there's only so deep we could ever actually get the tone, unfortunately.

Mine's already noticeably louder after just two days. I'd be surprised if it changed much more.

Deleted member

I just got back from the muffler shop- had a resonator and muffler delete done.

First impression is that the exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. It sounds like a completely different car when you turn it on(in a good way). The crackle sounds it makes when I let off the pedal at low rpm are just delicious. The tone is reasonably deep- it's no V8 but it is far and away a much lower and better sounding note than the stereotypical fart cans you see people put on Civics.

Second thing to mention is that it is loud loud loud. The youtube videos do not convey just how loud this combination delete is. I find myself upshifting earlier than I ever have before in order to keep the volume minimal when I'm not trying to drive in a spirited manner. It probably is too loud for anyone but the diehards.

Last edited by a moderator:

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just did my resonator delete on Monday. lol. I agree, does sound better and a little louder. Not sure about deeper though, which was the tone I was really aiming for unfortunately. It's Thursday now, how long did it take for all you guys for your resonator delete to fully "break in" ?

Edit: Didn't drive my car today so only drove it for 3 days.....
I feel like it took a while, maybe a month or so for the full break in. I’ve also heard people say the stock exhaust itself breaks in after quite a while, still not even really sure how the exhaust break in would work but I just hit 11k and I feel like it’s a good bit louder than when I first got the resonator deleted at maybe 8/9k

riv21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid, Ktuner Stage 1
I just got back from the muffler shop- had a resonator and muffler delete done.

First impression is that the exhaust sounds absolutely amazing. The crackle sounds it makes when I let off the pedal at low rpm are just delicious. The tone is reasonably deep- it's no V8 but it is far and away a much lower and better sounding note than the stereotypical fart cans you see people put on Civics.

Second thing to mention is that it is loud loud loud. The youtube videos do not convey just how loud this combination delete is. I find myself upshifting earlier than I ever have before in order to keep the volume minimal when I'm not trying to drive in a spirited manner. It probably is too loud for anyone but the diehards.

Just did my muffler delete's only and it sounds great kept the resonator on as I wanted more of a deeper sound than more of the gurgle pop sounds made from getting the resonator removed. Cost me $150 to have them off. Loving it !!

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I spent my lunch hour at work today running to a muffler place (Discount Muffler in OKC) to have my resonator removed. Took less than half an hour and cost $80.

The sound is great! This is how the exhaust should have sounded from the factory, no question. Someone on here posted that if the factory note is a 1 out of 10, then the resonator delete is about a 3 out of 10. I'm going to have to agree with them. It's noticeable, but just barely. The exhaust note is just slightly deeper than stock, and just a wee bit louder. And it won't piss off my neighbors! :D
Why did you remove the resinator and not mufflers? Just wondering.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why did you remove the resinator and not mufflers? Just wondering.
Because I didn't want an obnoxious exhaust, haha. Removing the resonator gave it just that little extra "oomph" without waking up the neighborhood when I leave for work in the morning, or attracting the attention of every cop within a mile.

Don't get me wrong, I totally dig the sound with a muffler delete, but it's just too loud for me personally.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Because I didn't want an obnoxious exhaust, haha. Removing the resonator gave it just that little extra "oomph" without waking up the neighborhood when I leave for work in the morning, or attracting the attention of every cop within a mile.

Don't get me wrong, I totally dig the sound with a muffler delete, but it's just too loud for me personally.
Interesting. Yeah it’s all about preference I guess. Any clips? I don’t think I’ve heard resinator-only deletes on a 10th gen yet but have heard a lot of muffler deletes/muffler+resinator deletes
Sponsored