Just got a 2016 Civic EX, IDK where to start.

DrinkWater

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
Country flag
Hey guys! I recently got a honda civic ex 2016. I have had it for about a month now and it is my first car. I don't know much about cars but I am still learning about maintenance and etc. I always dreamt of modding my car and now I got the chance to. I am a college student looking to spend about $1000-$2000 on first mods/kits or even on tools. I don't know where to start but I was hoping you guys have some ideas on what I should do first?
Sponsored

Jeremiah T

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys! I recently got a honda civic ex 2016. I have had it for about a month now and it is my first car. I don't know much about cars but I am still learning about maintenance and etc. I always dreamt of modding my car and now I got the chance to. I am a college student looking to spend about $1000-$2000 on first mods/kits or even on tools. I don't know where to start but I was hoping you guys have some ideas on what I should do first?
First thing to do would definitely be a tune, i recommend K-Tuner, thats about 700 bucks. Then go for some exterior stuff like wheels and tires from either tirerack or Fitment Industries is my preferred, The total for all that should be around 1700 bucks. A cold air intake from K&N or PRL is also a great option

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
I recommend that if you have a CVT, you do NOT do any performance mods. CVTs are transmissions that work best on vehicles that don't have a lot of power. They are not built for big power or abuse. Almost all of the posts complaining of destroyed transmissions in these forums are from guys who have "tuned" their cars and run them hard.

Go ahead and do cosmetic changes but stay away from electrical or performance mods. There is a reason that no one wants to buy a used car with mods. They don't last as long as the ones without mods.

I know that I am going to catch flak from the "It's ok to do performance mods as long as you, bla bla bla." guys here but it isn't them that are going to be paying $5,000 for your new transmission. It will be you.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Do NOT use E85 on the 10th gen. Multiple tuners including Doug (Hondata) and Derek (TSP) highly recommend to NOT use full E85.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Before you start modding make sure there aren't any underlying issues that need fixed/maintenance performed. If there happens to be something that hasn't manifested yet and a mod you do makes it apparent or makes it worse you'll be up the creek without a paddle.

Modding can be fun but you have to be smart about it. Most people in this community are and it's reflected in their experience with their mods. Some people don't know what they are doing. They throw the most powerful tune on that they can and drive hard from the moment they turn the key on a cold start day after day to the moment they blow their engine or transmission.

I recommend looking at the engine/tuning section on the forums. @gtman has a couple of great threads detailing his experience with the tuning products available for our cars and has a reliability survey for folks to report their experience with their mods.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My thoughts:

1.) Make sure all software updates have been done. There were a handful since your car was new.

2.) Read all the AC condenser threads so you can be on the lookout for the symptoms when it starts getting warmer.

3.) Install some black Gutter Guard stuff to protect the condenser from road debris. It may save you a headache.

4.) If the battery is original; go ahead and replace it now.

5.) Familiarize yourself with the oil dilution situation and learn to recognize the smell of gasoline on the end of the dipstick. Use quality oil and a quality filter. Change it on the conservative side of the parameter (more often than less often).

That's all the obvious cheap insurance stuff that I can think of right now. My personal opinion is to leave the engine stock. Allow a couple of seconds for the CVT to engage when shifting (watch for the RPM drop) before hitting the gas. Treat it like a lady and it will love you long time.
Sponsored