Just did my first oil change on the Civic!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only use ILSAC GF-6A standard oil on my 2019 Civic Si now. The popularization of turbocharged engines has led to a new focus on turbocharger-specific standards. The primary purpose of GF-6 is to combat problems with LSPI (low speed premature ignition), a common issue with turbocharged engines. There are two types of ILSAC GF-6 oil available, so make sure you get the right one for your vehicle. GF-6A will cover existing ILSAC viscosity grades (i.e. 0W-20) and GF-6B will represent 0W-16 viscosity grade oils only.
How in the world does oil combat LSPI? Sounds as if the oil can adjust the timing.
Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I only use ILSAC GF-6A standard oil on my 2019 Civic Si now. The popularization of turbocharged engines has led to a new focus on turbocharger-specific standards. The primary purpose of GF-6 is to combat problems with LSPI (low speed premature ignition), a common issue with turbocharged engines. There are two types of ILSAC GF-6 oil available, so make sure you get the right one for your vehicle. GF-6A will cover existing ILSAC viscosity grades (i.e. 0W-20) and GF-6B will represent 0W-16 viscosity grade oils only.
How in the world does oil combat LSPI? Sounds as if the oil can adjust the timing.
The detergents used in GF-5 oils have calcium based detergents that have been shown to significantly increase the instances of LSPI in smaller, high density, direct injection turbo charged engines, especially when using anything less than premium grade gas. GF-6 oils use alternatively based detergents, plus have to pass a number of new tests to meet the specifications required to qualify as GF-6, SN Plus, or SP grade oil. Because of these strict new requirements, only a few motor oil manufacturers have met these new standards so far, one of which being Valvoline. Remember that GF-6A is for the 0W-20 engine oil required for 10th gen Civic Si's and GF-6B is only for 0W-16.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Recently did my first oil change EVER. I've only ever taken my cars in to get my oil changed, and with prices being $80 minimum for full synthetic here, I got myself some Race Ramps (Which are AMAZING!!) , and a few tools to get the job done. I made a little video on it to help some of you guys out. Already received criticism on using Super Tech oil though. Let me know your thoughts.

Watch the Oil Change Video Here :)

Good job on making the video & surviving your 1st oil change.
Here are a couple of "old school tips" to add for your next change.
1: Place a ziploc bag over the oil filter & it will catch all the oil that runs out as you unscrew the filter & remove it-works great on filters that sit vertical (as in our Civics).
2: When the old filter is removed, check to make sure the O ring has come off with the filter & not stayed stuck to the motor. I've only ever had this happen once (on an old truck)& I had failed to notice it. Trust me, you'll only make that mistake 1 time!!!
3: Add fresh oil to the oil filter (again only for vertical oil filters) to prevent any minimal loss of oil pressure at start up. (factor in that oil as part of total volume for oil change).
4: Good practice to slightly under fill with fresh oil, then once car has been started then allowed to sit. Oil level can be checked, then topped up as needed.
5: Check oil level for the first few times after being driven (then routinely after that), so that you know there are no leaks.
Hope these tips help for your next change.

OP
OP
covert

covert

First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good job on making the video & surviving your 1st oil change.
Here are a couple of "old school tips" to add for your next change.
1: Place a ziploc bag over the oil filter & it will catch all the oil that runs out as you unscrew the filter & remove it-works great on filters that sit vertical (as in our Civics).
2: When the old filter is removed, check to make sure the O ring has come off with the filter & not stayed stuck to the motor. I've only ever had this happen once (on an old truck)& I had failed to notice it. Trust me, you'll only make that mistake 1 time!!!
3: Add fresh oil to the oil filter (again only for vertical oil filters) to prevent any minimal loss of oil pressure at start up. (factor in that oil as part of total volume for oil change).
4: Good practice to slightly under fill with fresh oil, then once car has been started then allowed to sit. Oil level can be checked, then topped up as needed.
5: Check oil level for the first few times after being driven (then routinely after that), so that you know there are no leaks.
Hope these tips help for your next change.
Thank you so much!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! Looks like I'm going Amsoil next time. Everybody has been recommending it.
My boy and I signed up for Preferred Member, 3 years now. I also pass the savings to family & friends. They save, we get the points. :)

I get it's expensive but as I also say, you gotta pay to play. Seriously, spending $80 CAN with Honda oil filter every 7 months is nothing. I spent twice that on take out every week. LOL

FXDL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Sport Coupe
Country flag
Use Amsoil as you want the best. They call for 0w20., like in the wife's 2019 sport coupe
I personally like to use their 5w30. I find no matter what car or truck, you listen to the valve trains are noisy and the problem is the water thin oils they call for. Each your own.
Sponsored