Just did my first oil change on the Civic!

covert

First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recently did my first oil change EVER. I've only ever taken my cars in to get my oil changed, and with prices being $80 minimum for full synthetic here, I got myself some Race Ramps (Which are AMAZING!!) , and a few tools to get the job done. I made a little video on it to help some of you guys out. Already received criticism on using Super Tech oil though. Let me know your thoughts.

Watch the Oil Change Video Here :)
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My Civic deserves better than Super Tech oil in my opinion.
I always use well know good brand oil like Penzoil or other well know brand . Many store have special low price for theese.

I use torque wrench for the drain plug. It is very helpfull to have the right torque.

As a first oil change, you did a great job and a very good video

OP
OP
covert

covert

First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Civic deserves better than Super Tech oil in my opinion.
I always use well know good brand oil like Penzoil or other well know brand . Many store have special low price for theese.

I use torque wrench for the drain plug. It is very helpfull to have the right torque.

As a first oil change, you did a great job and a very good video
Good to know. Thanks!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My negative comment about your choice of oil should not detract from the fact that as a first oil change, you did a good job and a very informative video.

A torque wrench came in handy after I discovered I wasn't tightening the drain plug enough. And over tightening it makes it harder to remove AND not to mention the risk of damaging the threads. Go to Harbor freight Tools

OP
OP
covert

covert

First Name
Nathanial
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My negative comment about your choice of oil should not detract from the fact that as a first oil change, you did a good job and a very informative video.

A torque wrench came in handy after I discovered I wasn't tightening the drain plug enough. And over tightening it makes it harder to remove AND not to mention the risk of damaging the threads. Go to Harbor freight Tools
I appreciate it! I'll make sure to use a torque wrench next time!

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Is Super Tech Walmart's brand lol.

I run Amsoil, it's better for the turbo as so they claim

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great video.

I use Amsoil too, 0W-30 and Honda filter.

I'm broke and use a water bottle as a funnel. LOL

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Is Super Tech Walmart's brand lol.

I run Amsoil, it's better for the turbo as so they claim
Super tech ( Walmart brand)use too be Quakerstate don’t know if it is now I use mobile one

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If you want to save a few bucks vs. amsoil but still want better oil, grab 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as they go on sale for $20-25 fairly often at walmart.com and amazon.com.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Thanks! Looks like I'm going Amsoil next time. Everybody has been recommending it.
AMSoil claims to be the best oil money can buy, and it is, but you definitely have to fork out for it.

Like buying Michelin tires for your civic. Plenty of other tires that are 95% as good, but are 35% less expensive.

Last edited:
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Recently did my first oil change EVER. I've only ever taken my cars in to get my oil changed, and with prices being $80 minimum for full synthetic here, I got myself some Race Ramps (Which are AMAZING!!) , and a few tools to get the job done. I made a little video on it to help some of you guys out. Already received criticism on using Super Tech oil though. Let me know your thoughts.

Watch the Oil Change Video Here :)
I only use ILSAC GF-6A standard oil on my 2019 Civic Si now. The popularization of turbocharged engines has led to a new focus on turbocharger-specific standards. The primary purpose of GF-6 is to combat problems with LSPI (low speed premature ignition), a common issue with turbocharged engines. There are two types of ILSAC GF-6 oil available, so make sure you get the right one for your vehicle. GF-6A will cover existing ILSAC viscosity grades (i.e. 0W-20) and GF-6B will represent 0W-16 viscosity grade oils only.
Sponsored