Just bought 2020 Si coupe for my son.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I had an '18 Si coupe when I was 16 too. It was my dad's but I have about an hour commute to school so it made sense for me to drive it. The Si definitely carries some solid high school parking lot cred! It's too bad this school year got axed because now I can't drive it anymore :(
He has a 25-35 minute commute but then stays after for sports. It's really tough to trust a 16yo male in rush hour traffic but so far so good.
Sponsored

Gino27

Red Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si coupe
Country flag
He has a 25-35 minute commute but then stays after for sports. It's really tough to trust a 16yo male in rush hour traffic but so far so good.
Yeah it's tough. Mine were never all that concerned with me, mostly the other lunatic drivers out there. The Si's super light clutch really comes in handy in heavy traffic.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Never understood the purpose of keeping something looking good by completely covering it up - thereby never seeing its good looks anyway! I would only cover up ugly beat up seats, just so you can't see them.

Just scotchgard them. Simple and effective and you still get to enjoy the look and feel of the factory seats.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Fabric-Upholstery-Protector-14-Ounces/dp/B01M65L5Q3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MT9PV6N0HUL&dchild=1&keywords=scotchgard+fabric+protector&qid=1588811040&sprefix=scotchg,aps,173&sr=8-1
I researched fabric protectors and eventually settled on this stuff. Not cheap, but it seems to be generally well-regarded, and there are some positive reviews on this forum. Just received it a few days ago, so this will be one of my weekend projects.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
How long did it take him to become proficient?
For me I'm (23) I bought the SI and it was my first manual driver car. I would say it takes about two weeks to a month to get proficient, but takes alot longer to become fluent. Becoming fluent and smooth depends on how much driving he is doing.

I taught my girlfriend how to drive manual. It is a difficult task at first, it took her about a week to be able to "drive" the car, but she never became proficent or smooth (due to her not driving the car after the week)

One thing to note is the new SI have rev hang so 1st and 2nd gear will be tougher than a car without.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That’s awesome! He’s lucky to have you. I just picked up the same exact car and color too. I haven’t driven a manual transmission in over 3 years but man was it a breeze to get back into. I guess once you learn how to drive one, you never forget. It’s like second nature.

He will love the car! I sure love mine.

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Awesome! I’m sure your son is going to love it! I just handed down my 2009 PMM Si to my son and have been enjoying teaching him to drive it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Just bought 2020 Si coupe for my son. BF973C3B-AC7D-4214-B2FC-86A10CD380E8

OP
OP

tcaustin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
That’s awesome! He’s lucky to have you. I just picked up the same exact car and color too. I haven’t driven a manual transmission in over 3 years but man was it a breeze to get back into. I guess once you learn how to drive one, you never forget. It’s like second nature.

i never thought I’d be jealous of my son’s car. I had a flat on my truck and so I got to drive his car to work today. Truthfully I wouldn’t be devastated if he doesn’t end up liking it. I would just switch with him and let him drive the pickup.

OP
OP

tcaustin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Awesome! I’m sure your son is going to love it! I just handed down my 2009 PMM Si to my son and have been enjoying teaching him to drive it.
BF973C3B-AC7D-4214-B2FC-86A10CD380E8.jpeg
nice type R.

OP
OP

tcaustin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si coupe
Country flag

Now I want one too. These cars are so much fun!

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Man........now I feel old! My first car that was in my name was a 1989 Honda Accord LX 5spd.........last year of the carburetor Hondas! I think it made like 105hp or so (at the crank). Great running car though! I got it with 140K on it and sold it with 200K+ and it was still going for years after that.
mine was a 95 civic DX coupe with a 115k on it, had it through 6 deer hits and 75k, and sold it with half the bumper missing for $600. it lasted my buddy another 4 year till hid crashed it driving like a moron.

OP
OP

tcaustin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Congratulations on the purchase. May I ask what the sales price was (including destination, not including tax, title, and license)? I am speaking with a dealer this week. Thank you.
How did it go?

I looked back at the window sticker and the dealer add on sticker. I’m amazed at how many things on the add on sheet they were able to not charge for at the end of the month and also how much they normally charge for them. $99 for nitrogen in the tires. $329 for splash guards. Somehow they were able to not charge me for the $999 paint sealant/warranty.

As much as I like the type R, I really think the Si is the better buy. It’s remarkable all you get for the money.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Lucky kid

Pick up a Type-R for yourself :thumbsup:

fk-eight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR R-35355/ 2021 SGP Accord Touring
Country flag
I did something similar, I needed to be strategic about my plan. I wanted to get rid of my C7 and the next best thing, for me, was to get a Type R. Now, my plan, right now, anyway, is to give the Type R to my son, next year, when he turns 18. He lives with his mom in Florida, so, he doesn't know I have it.

And thankfully, I played a lot of Gran Turismo when he was a kid, and he played with me, before he could even talk. So, he's a huge JDM fan. Loves anything JDM, from drifting to rod racing. And I've wanted the CTR, since it came out. The sad thing is, that it's probably too much car, for him, and I think I'm going to do the same thing.

I will be replacing my commuter within the next 6 months or so, and probably be getting a Black 2020 Si. Which he will inherit, this time, next year, with hopefully only a few thousand miles on it. I just love th CTR, too much. I made the mistake of buying him something that I wanted, and now I don't think I can get rid of it. but it is, for my son, so, we will see.

Frankirap

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic
Country flag
I bought a new SI 20 SI for my son he has been driving 3 of my cars with sticks from brand new clutch felt strange delayed I've been driving a stick for over 40 years at 2500 miles clutch failed they denied warranties said it was abuse with no proof to warrant it. Beware Honda is ducking this and it's all over the net. When I brought the car in the was a 19 si there same issue. 3900 miles claim denied. They have a problem there is a clutch delay valve that delays engagement of the clutch along with a dual mass flywheel that is spring loaded. This is not your typical set up. I'll never by another Honda. They claim warranty and then deny it. Can't wait to get rid of the car
Sponsored