Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the hookup and tips Volksparts, appreciate it. Order placed! Rolling the dice on the Honda Access Yellow fog adapter on Ebay. 100% seller rating so hoping it works, heh.

Coupon code is MEMORIAL2020. After you put in your address in guest check out it will allow you to put in a coupon code before paying. It gives you the 10% off.

I went with these fog lights because they match the headlights. Plus I like the blacked out look with no chrome. I basically bought clear 3M protection film through Amazon and covered both my headlights and fog lights. It does give them kind of a reflective property but then I'm glad that at least I have the protection from rock chips.

By the way these aren't direct plug and play. I tried the source plugs that would be able to reverse to plug into the stock plug but I did not have any luck. I even contacted the retrofit source. Part of me was thinking that the same plug would work from the Honda Access yellow lights but I just didn't feel like spending 50 bucks. I ended up just tapping right into the fog light harnesses. Also there is some trimming of these lights in order for them to fit. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Just be careful not to crack the plastic when trimming it
Sponsored

Last edited:

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the hookup and tips Volksparts, appreciate it. Order placed! Rolling the dice on the Honda Access Yellow fog adapter on Ebay. 100% seller rating so hoping it works, heh.
Yeah if you find a deal on the harness and it fits, let me know.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a quick search and found an adapter on Ebay...but it was $50 like you mentioned.

Btw how is the Morimoto fog output? Is it a slight downgrade like the headlights?

Yeah if you find a deal on the harness and it fits, let me know.

FK8REY

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Goals! This looks Awesome!
got this on last night. i’ve been contemplating on this for a while coz i don’t want to make it look too dark. looks great with the J’s grill.

7827B89A-737A-4ACC-B094-41DE9AEE21C4.jpeg
9B36E20B-1753-48C6-8354-F661884616E3.jpeg

C63735FE-3DD5-4469-853D-6664B3D15D85.jpeg

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a quick search and found an adapter on Ebay...but it was $50 like you mentioned.

Btw how is the Morimoto fog output? Is it a slight downgrade like the headlights?
I haven't done any benchmark testing on lumens but they seem about the same output. I know for the Tacoma guys they are definitely an upgrade and they have also a version that's amber which is pretty sweet.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'll start out by saying that mine have the exact same notch left of center that you show here. Both lights have the spot, so it's gotta be somethign with the way the shields were designed.

I finally got these installed and have had some time driving with them at night. Initially, I was very unimpressed after a quick and dirty height adjustment. Actually contemplated selling them and doing a retrofit for better output. I've done several retros and currently have D2S projectors in our CR-V, and I was disappointed that I didn't have similar output in the CTR.

Then I spent more time working on aiming them, and it turns out they needed to go considerably higher than I had originally positioned them. After readjusting and driving more, I have to say it's a significant improvement. I honestly feel like they are about 90% of what the D2S retro has for output, with the main downside being the width as mentioned. However, this was much better after properly adjusting height. The high beams are also fairly narrow, but their range is very impressive for LEDs.

I'll have some before and after shots here sometime this week, showing output at various exposure levels to show the beam pattern. But I am very happy with the output and they are definitely an upgrade from OEM.
Nitroturtle if you want to know how to fix your d2s aim check out my diy

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/diy-hid-projector-retrofit.47997/

When I was looking at headlight upgrades about a year ago I was looking at led headlights but the light output was terrible.

I ended up doing a Morimoto D2S 5.0 Retrofit

Before
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_0696.JPG

After
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_1078 (2).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_1079 (2).JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_1323.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_1129 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights IMG_1332.JPG

Yes, I did research
Lights turn on at 13:43

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'll start out by saying that mine have the exact same notch left of center that you show here. Both lights have the spot, so it's gotta be somethign with the way the shields were designed.

I finally got these installed and have had some time driving with them at night. Initially, I was very unimpressed after a quick and dirty height adjustment. Actually contemplated selling them and doing a retrofit for better output. I've done several retros and currently have D2S projectors in our CR-V, and I was disappointed that I didn't have similar output in the CTR.

Then I spent more time working on aiming them, and it turns out they needed to go considerably higher than I had originally positioned them. After readjusting and driving more, I have to say it's a significant improvement. I honestly feel like they are about 90% of what the D2S retro has for output, with the main downside being the width as mentioned. However, this was much better after properly adjusting height. The high beams are also fairly narrow, but their range is very impressive for LEDs.

I'll have some before and after shots here sometime this week, showing output at various exposure levels to show the beam pattern. But I am very happy with the output and they are definitely an upgrade from OEM.
The notch I think it is a blockage in the light from the black walls in between the projectors possibly.

yeah i messed with the alignment of them a few times but i still don't think its an upgrade.
the cut off and the width is better than stock thats for sure but the foreground lightning is really diminished in my eyes. I don't think they are even close to D2S output.
I rarely used high beams so i haven't even tested them out.
I do live in the city however so there are plenty of city lights. When my lights blends in with the city lights, i just can't think of it as an upgrade. I'm too spoiled by S2K, TSX Retros.

I've only driven it about 3x at night though so who knows that may change. But for now, i'm still disappointed in the output.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
The notch I think it is a blockage in the light from the black walls in between the projectors possibly.

yeah i messed with the alignment of them a few times but i still don't think its an upgrade.
the cut off and the width is better than stock thats for sure but the foreground lightning is really diminished in my eyes. I don't think they are even close to D2S output.
I rarely used high beams so i haven't even tested them out.
I do live in the city however so there are plenty of city lights. When my lights blends in with the city lights, i just can't think of it as an upgrade. I'm too spoiled by S2K, TSX Retros.

I've only driven it about 3x at night though so who knows that may change. But for now, i'm still disappointed in the output.
I drive on pitch black backroads here on a regular basis. Other than the width, they seem very close to the D2S to me. Granted, these mini D2S projectors are a few years old, so not the current gen they are selling. But I also have an AP2, and I feel the new lights are on par with those as well.

Make sure you have them aimed high enough. I shoot for about a 2" drop over 25' when aiming mine. This puts the cutoff near the top/middle of the trunk on a regular sedan about 3 car lengths in front of me and they hit the ground about 250' out. Foreground light is actually not what you want, as it diminishes your ability to see at a distance, though in the city the foreground is probably the most noticable. When adjusted corredtly, they almost feel like they are too high, but as long as they are on a downward slope and not shining in other drivers eyes they should be perfect.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I drive on pitch black backroads here on a regular basis. Other than the width, they seem very close to the D2S to me. Granted, these mini D2S projectors are a few years old, so not the current gen they are selling. But I also have an AP2, and I feel the new lights are on par with those as well.

Make sure you have them aimed high enough. I shoot for about a 2" drop over 25' when aiming mine. This puts the cutoff near the top/middle of the trunk on a regular sedan about 3 car lengths in front of me and they hit the ground about 250' out. Foreground light is actually not what you want, as it diminishes your ability to see at a distance, though in the city the foreground is probably the most noticable. When adjusted corredtly, they almost feel like they are too high, but as long as they are on a downward slope and not shining in other drivers eyes they should be perfect.
ehh i definitely don't think they are on par with my S2000. Hell, the Mini H1 retro i had on my 8th gen were brighter. Maybe my expectations were just a bit too high.

that height is usually about what i aim my lights to. I have a spot by my house where i adjust all of my cars lights to. TOO MUCH foreground light isn't good i agree. Your eyes focus more on that light and it kills your ability to see at distance like you said.
But this isn't about too much foreground light. It's the foreground on to the sides is what bugs me.

This is me taking a picture from the H emblem in the center. I didn't measure the distance to the wall nor is it flat but i just wanted to showcase the foreground. (dont mind the iphone quality pics lol. It's really not the best camera to showcase output)
As you can see the foreground light is just a small blob in front of you and there is no lights to the sides. That really kills my vision during city driving. Of course in a pitch black enviroment, its not so bad.
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights j6giH1t

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
ehh i definitely don't think they are on par with my S2000. Hell, the Mini H1 retro i had on my 8th gen were brighter. Maybe my expectations were just a bit too high.

that height is usually about what i aim my lights to. I have a spot by my house where i adjust all of my cars lights to. TOO MUCH foreground light isn't good i agree. Your eyes focus more on that light and it kills your ability to see at distance like you said.
But this isn't about too much foreground light. It's the foreground on to the sides is what bugs me.

This is me taking a picture from the H emblem in the center. I didn't measure the distance to the wall nor is it flat but i just wanted to showcase the foreground. (dont mind the iphone quality pics lol. It's really not the best camera to showcase output)
As you can see the foreground light is just a small blob in front of you and there is no lights to the sides. That really kills my vision during city driving. Of course in a pitch black enviroment, its not so bad.
j6giH1t.jpg
Yeah I definitely think our different use cases and expectations going in are why we have differing levels of satisfaction. I had very low expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised. The width is definitely worse than my other projectors, but I still feel they were an upgrade over OEM. I also don't think I've even tried them yet without my fog lights on, so that was probably compensating for foreground. Distance is a bigger deal for me, as I'm usually trying to avoid deer and other wildlife, while you're probably more concerned about seeing people and potholes.

Your pic is probably one of the better ones I've seen of the output, though it would be a lot better without all that ambient light. I'll try to see if I can get some distance pics like this in a darker environment. Overall for LED, they seem to have pretty good throw and distribute the light evenly. Going in I was okay with them being at least as good as OEM because they just look amazing aesthetically, and I think we are all in agreement there. ?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Yeah I definitely think our different use cases and expectations going in are why we have differing levels of satisfaction. I had very low expectations going in and was pleasantly surprised. The width is definitely worse than my other projectors, but I still feel they were an upgrade over OEM. I also don't think I've even tried them yet without my fog lights on, so that was probably compensating for foreground. Distance is a bigger deal for me, as I'm usually trying to avoid deer and other wildlife, while you're probably more concerned about seeing people and potholes.

Your pic is probably one of the better ones I've seen of the output, though it would be a lot better without all that ambient light. I'll try to see if I can get some distance pics like this in a darker environment. Overall for LED, they seem to have pretty good throw and distribute the light evenly. Going in I was okay with them being at least as good as OEM because they just look amazing aesthetically, and I think we are all in agreement there. ?
the bolded part is exactly my complaint! you nailed it lol.
the fogs does make up for some of the loss of foreground. I intentionally drove them without the fogs on to look at the output of just the headlights.

Maybe i expected too much because my ILX has jewel eyes so i expected similar output haha.

yeah i usually take a picture at my local headlight aiming road but i totally forgot to. The ambient light in those pics do kind of make it harder to look at the beam pattern.

they absolutely do look fantastic though lol.

flipnrr

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r - 2004 S2000
Country flag
sorry if this was already posted but i couldn’t find it, what the bottom adjustment is for?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights 4ECA76B9-6ABB-4FF5-9F33-2E5B22BC0597

Just added Miromoto fogs and highly recommend them. Whereas the headlights result in a decrease of light output...the fogs increase it. Here is a photo of the Morimoto headlights with OEM fogs. Just so/so and a decrease from stock

Honda Civic 10th gen J's Racing FK8 LED Headlights 2BAA2B60-28D7-4687-8C76-AC4CE16FD336
Compared to Morimoto headlights and Morimoto fogs. I can see again :)

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
4ECA76B9-6ABB-4FF5-9F33-2E5B22BC0597.png

Just added Miromoto fogs and highly recommend them. Whereas the headlights result in a decrease of light output...the fogs increase it. Here is a photo of the Morimoto headlights with OEM fogs. Just so/so and a decrease from stock

2BAA2B60-28D7-4687-8C76-AC4CE16FD336.jpeg
Compared to Morimoto headlights and Morimoto fogs. I can see again :)
That's how I felt with even the stock output. Stock headlight were meh, stocks with stock fogs yay.
I really dig the morimoto headlight/foglight combo too. They compliment each other filling in the gaps. Plus asthetically more appealing.

Thanks for the output shots.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which color fogs did you go with? Once dialed in, the fogs are so easy to swap, could see a person switching back and forth between smoked and yellow on a whim.

Wish they offered a blue film.

I really dig the morimoto headlight/foglight combo too. They compliment each other filling in the gaps. Plus asthetically more appealing.
Sponsored