First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have so much to catch up on. Dusted off my track driver abilities and went out to New York Safety Track. It went horrible. I had a then unknown front end issue that cause a crazy vibration under WOT and hard braking. I felt something snap at turn 1 during the first session.

Now I did have a weird rotational noise before I went out there. Problem went on for a month. Mechanic didn’t find any issues. I got an alignment and then forgot about it.

At turn 1 of NYST, my tires were hopping under braking! Wtf!! My poor FK8! Accelerating out of the turn had my steering wheel and cabin shake violently. Did I snap something? Tie rod? Car was pulling to the left.

I didn’t find anything during down time so I retired the car for that event.

After two days with my mechanic, Double checking my hard race ball joints, HKS Coilovers, sway bar endlinks, no luck in resolving the issue. Until today! I had a hunch about my engine mounts. The one under the battery tray is the only one that is no easy to inspect without removing the battery AND tray.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build BC535D32-6EA5-4D72-9EBD-6FD24ABF7508

Already ordered new mounts! Can’t wait! Hasport full kit due next week. Give me time to sort out my Aero. My APR GTC 300 wing is installed, working on the splitter next. I’ll make a separate post about my custom brackets for the Racebred Splitter.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build F21DBC1D-485D-4A97-922D-3AD284FCA9D2

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those cheater tires look so lonesome on the side. Do they wear as quickly as ppl say? How many events can you expect out of them?

Good luck on the track after you’ve everything fixed up.?

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those cheater tires look so lonesome on the side. Do they wear as quickly as ppl say? How many events can you expect out of them?

Good luck on the track after you’ve everything fixed up.?
I would say they’re comparable to RE71R. I’ll expect three events per set plus street driving miles.

I’m signed up for New Jersey Motorsports Park on June 25th with s2ktakeover. It’ll be my first time out there. I should be sorted by next week. New front and rear ST43 brake pads, Endless fluids, splitter, engine mounts, tires, should be complete for the event!

Deciding on Charge pipe upgrades as well. Not sure if I’ll make a decision before the event, need to do more research on the current available offerings.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I had very similar symptoms on track this weekend as well. Violent shaking under braking and accelerating out of turns... I haven't been able to solve my issue but will check my motor mounts next.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I had very similar symptoms on track this weekend as well. Violent shaking under braking and accelerating out of turns... I haven't been able to solve my issue but will check my motor mounts next.
oh man I was just reading his post and was going to tag you on FB. I even said motor mount since it was under power too

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How many miles on your car? Aftermarket or OEM mounts? I went thru a long list of checks before I landed onto my mounts. Tire health, endlinks and ball joints, alignment out of wack, ride height settings, damper settings for my hks coilovers etc.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I have the Hasport RMM and swift springs. Car has 13k on it. I tried a new set of wheels and that didn’t solve the issue. Did a quick inspection on track and it looked like nothing was loose or broken suspension wise. I was leaning more towards warped rotors. I think the increased thickness rotors, + pad shims might have been causing the issue

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Hasport RMM and swift springs. Car has 13k on it. I tried a new set of wheels and that didn’t solve the issue. Did a quick inspection on track and it looked like nothing was loose or broken suspension wise. I was leaning more towards warped rotors. I think the increased thickness rotors, + pad shims might have been causing the issue
Perhaps replace the rotors and rebalance your tires. Sometimes tire rubber from the track flings onto the barrel of our wheels and causing vibrations.

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mod updates! I'll split the post up in several parts for an easy read.

Aero Upgrades:
APR GTC-300 Carbon Wing (purchased at Art Of Attack, Installed on 05/16/2020)
The wing was super easy to install, used plastic pry tools and a few sockets (10mm and 12mm). APR did a great job with fitment, the base mated perfectly with the hatch and lined up to the OEM bolt holes.

Downforce Adjustability
APR did a great job drilling a series of holes and slots so that you can adjust the wing's angle to adjust downforce. For street use I set the foil angle for the least drag, didn't want to lessen my MPG's. I got to test out different settings when I went out to NJMP Thunderbolt with my track team member Mary, and I saw first hand what the trade offs were. You can increase mechanical grip but you lose on top speed. Finding the balance was a great exercise at the race track for sure.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build Js Media_20200720_3

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build Js Media_20200625_10

Below you'll find Mary's FK8 next to mine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build Js Media_20200624_3

Last edited:

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aero upgrades continued:
Racebred Components Splitter (installed 06/14/2020)
I opted for the 3" Splitter for the most downforce possible. Now Racebred does have a custom option if you wanted to increase splitter length beyond 3", which adds to both product and shipping costs. For support I went with Splitter rods by Professional Awesome and made custom rear chassis mount brackets. Please see below for mounting/support info.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build Js Media_20200720_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_3015.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_3012.JPG

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Splitter support:

Professional Awesome Splitter rods
I must say these rods were engineered with adjustability, strength, and repairability in mind! I ordered 6 pairs to support the splitter at various locations to the OEM aluminum crash beam. The product website has tons of options in regards to hardware. I went with Metric sizes. For the Elevator bolt, I choose 35mm length, but it turned out to be too long. So I cut off about 10mm with my dremel. I made sure that I installed the rods with easy access when the bumper was on. The rods come with a quick release clevise pin, making removal a breeze.

On to the important part, adjustability, their system use custom collets (I choose the Standard style collet) that allow for infinitely variable lengths! From 4" to 38" length! When purchasing, they give you an option for rod length (18"or 36"). These rods are made of reinforced fiber that are flexible but also high in tensile strength. You can cut the rods to your size requirement (I used a Dremel with abrasive wheel attachment).

Note: Consider spreading the load between rods. With a recommendation from Jason at United Speed Racing, I used 1/4" thick by 1" wide aluminum plates to tie two rods together at the base of the splitter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_2387.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_2390.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build E4FDAC86-83A9-4E98-9CB5-6374628A817B

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build DC71FE78-9C15-410E-AC43-21CA118B5000

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_2498

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_2500.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Jonnys_honda Civic Type R FK8 Build IMG_2502

Custom Rear Chassis Mount Brackets
For the custom chassis brackets, I located an empty hole in the subframe (to the right and left of the aluminum splash shield). I bought 1/4" thick by 1.5" wide steel plate and cut two to the length of 10". Next, I drilled holes on both ends. One end attached to the back of the splitter, the other, to the subframe using an M10 bolt, washers, and serrated/flanged nut.

Note: Minor bending of the steel plate is required to have a clean install from the splitter surface to the subframe. I used the edge of a table, C-clamps, and a hammer to get the bends where I needed them. Lastly, I painted the plates black since it was raw steel.

Last edited:

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
The stealth rods look way better than when they're outside of the bumper. Always hated that look.

ctr_no650

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ctr, 2014 Chevy Sonic LTZ, 1990 rover mini
Country flag
great write up on the splitter, how does the mounting rods bolt to the oem under tray? can you provide more photos of the mounting system?

OP
OP
jonnys_honda

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great write up on the splitter, how does the mounting rods bolt to the oem under tray? can you provide more photos of the mounting system?
Sure thing! I use the included elevator bolts. I’ll update my posts with photos of that.
Sponsored