Jonesing for the Type R I parted with - path forward?

What path should I choose?

• Total voters

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So I recently sold my 2019 Type R, did the adult thing blah blah blah - and even though I have a stupid fun M2 (dual clutch, non stickshift but super entertaining) - the Type R just.......drove different? Is the orange to the apple I own and the best incarnation of a stickshift I've owned in a lifetime of performance stickshifts? I don't know- the car just worked and is / was bliss to drive. While I have zero complaints with the M2 I just.......miss the damn stupid quirky Type R.

So here is my predicament - crossroads.

- I basically got paid to drive my 2019 Type R for a year - I paid 35750 for it, but sold it for 40k. Rough profit - 4k - I don't detract tires from this scenario as I would have bought more for the M2 in the same span, were it the only car, so I consider it reasonable to ascribe 4k to 'net gain' from the 2019. This means that I would be open to paying over sticker for a new / close to new 2021 as I can 'balance' out the downside of the over MSRP with the gains from the 2019 - bit of mental gymnastics to make any of this work is needed!

- I really really like / love the voltron / swing for the fences approach to the Type R FK8 - while I do believe the 2022 will be 'better' or equal to it performance wise, and the looks of the 2022 hatch if you stare at it long enough / along with the render of the Type R based upon it- you can 'sort of' get enthused about it, and I do like the possibilities of the 2022 interior - it just feels - safe? WRXMAZDASPEEDEVO? I dunno it just feels - safe? or will be safe.

- I would rather have a low mile/new 2021 now, than a 10-20k mile 2021 in a year or two just so I know the car from start to finish. Or am I being a weirdo getting hung up on this aspect?

So here is a poll for my fellow enthusiasts - what would you do?
Sponsored

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
i can almost say without a doubt that the new one will not look as aggressive as the fk8. im sure it'll be better, because well..they usually are.
but yeah if you love the current one and wont be bothered when the new one comes out, id get one (while u still can: new/low miles)

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend has a self proclaimed shitbox E36 M3 he's had for six years. He had an M2C which he dumped and doesn't mind it at all because he has more fun in the E36. Sometimes the "better" car isn't what hits home. If you want the R back, get it. If you enjoyed it that much, it's only going to get worse overtime and if you wait to see if used prices dip you're going to run into "did the previous hooligan who owned this treat it nice for the 30K miles" etc and the peace of mind from a new car can be worth it.

Maybe sell the M2? The way the market is you might lose less on the usual luxury car deprecation.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag
Interesting conundrum . . . If you can find a CTR for a decent deal (it's ridiculous that even OVER sticker can be a decent deal in this market), then do it. I recently got my black '21 CTR for about 3500 over MSRP and am VERY happy I got it at all because I contacted/negotiated with dozens of dealerships in multiple states and that was the best I could find.

I think you have now experienced what so many of us have about BMW M cars - they are not nearly as much sheer fun as a lot of other cars out there despite their stellar performance. The Honda is pretty darned special and really reminds me so much of my beloved old Evos.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Enough people didn't drive them, there will be plenty of low mile R's still in a year or two. I'd wait for the next version and then make a choice which one you want, and probably save a buck on the FK8 when the new Type R is here. Unless you're buying brand new you are buying a question mark regardless.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I would just move on. You sold the car for whatever the adult thing is.
Type r adults fine. Lots of room and seating for 4.
Enjoy the bmw ive owned a couple in the past until the warranty was out.

If you really want to get a type r again i would wait for the next one. To see whats going on with a potentially tamer look.

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Wait for the new car, might be backwards to the old car, better performance, tamer looks. Then decide. Only risk is the new R isn't magic, like this one is. Then, you're screwed. I believe the car will be a better performer, and that's my bottom line. That's why I bought my '19, overlooking the crazy design. (now I love the looks, and the attention).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I doubt most 20-21 models will see 10-20k on them, but I could be completely wrong in that prediction. That said, wait up and see if there is a 2022 model. If there is, there might be overlap between the 2022 announcement and 2021 models still on dealer lots. With anticipation there (and COVID prices dropping slowly right now), the CTR price might go down and you might be able to, in theory, buy one back at a lower price than you sold yours for (possibly even new) though you might get hosed by taxes, so keep that in mind. If you are able to find one at MSRP or less right now, it might be worth jumping on that (again, keep in mind taxes that eat into your profits).

If Honda pushes the CTR to a 2023 model, then there likely won't be any overlap. It will force you towards a used one but I still don't expect many (post-refresh) CTRs to hit 10-20k miles.

At this point, you've already sold your CTR, might as well play the long game and wait to see what will become available.

Edit: another option could be to look at other cars too that compete with the CTR. I hear a WRX and Corolla is right around the corner.

barbapapa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R Championship White
Country flag
what is your M2 worth? I got burned pretty badly on my 2018 when I traded in for the CTR

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
1. Wait for new type r to see if you like it. If not, buy the newly depreciation 10th gen of your liking

2. I just want you to know I went for a lovely drive with my Type R today. My beautiful, bought-by-me and not sold-by-me Type R :p

Last edited:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Only you know you. Do what you need to do for you.

Whatever your choice keep hanging around here. You input is valuable.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
you sold it to do w/e you needed to do. i see no reason to get back into one if your life situation has not changed.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I’d say go for a 2021 if you really want it. I miss both my R and Si and wouldn’t hesitate to buy either one of them again. For now though, I’ve got what I would consider a pretty siiick garage so I’m content ?
Sponsored