Joined the Phearable Stage 1.5 Club, need helping planning a dyno

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I know it's all subjective but how would you describe the feeling of going from bone stock to flashing on Map 1 for daily driving?
On the bottom end just crusing around town and trying to conserve gas mileage, you would hardly notice a difference compared to stock with exception to the rev hang. But once you lay the pedal to the floor, you will feel it. The stock tune will feel stale. Its crazy what a few extra pounds of boost does for this car. Going all the way to 25psi in map 3 honestly seems like overkill.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I run Shell 93 octane since I picked it up last December, so that won't be a problem.

Luckily with the V2 I should be able to monitor fuel trim and knock control directly from that screen, right?

I plan to drive this car almost exclusively in Map 1 or 2. It may be a good idea for me to do a pull or two completely stock one day and then go back another day once I've had time to go back home, flash the tune, and drive around with it a bit to make sure everything is good. Then, go back the next day so hopefully the weather is pretty darn close and do 3 pulls, one on each map with enough time for each one to go back to a 0.49 knock count.

If anyone is familiar with a dyno in the Atlanta area, I'm open to listening.
I've used Topspeed a couple of times but they seem to cater mainly to exotics at this point. I imagine you have several options in ATL.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I sent an email to Phearable right after my purchase posing this very question - how to effectively do a baseline stock dyno and then dyno each individual map. This was their reply:

Ed,

When conducting such testing make sure to not upload anything to the vehicle so you have the true stock calibration.
To get a true representation of the power output when using a calibration you will want to upload the calibration then drive the vehicle for 15-20 minutes to allow the ecu to fully go into closed loop. You will then want to let the car cool down for 15-20 minutes and make a dyno pull then let it cool again before making another pull on another boost level.

Thank You,
Phearable.net Sales

Considering that the tune needs to be driven for at least 15-20 minutes for it to "take" or whatever the technical word would be, I think I'll do a stock dyno baseline one day and then the next, as long as the weather is almost identical, do a pull on the 3 maps after I've flashed it and driven it around for a while earlier.

I use 93 octane exclusively so hopefully that will help keep knock control under control and/or bring it back down to 0.49 quicker after each map pull.

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
What are some of the reasons you chose the Phearable tune over the TSP?

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are some of the reasons you chose the Phearable tune over the TSP?
Feedback from a few folks here that I've come to respect input from saying the Phearable is smoother and changing gears is smoother as well. Coupled with more top end power. I was leaning towards TSP but decided to give Phearable a go since they've been in the Honda tuning game for a long time.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Just talked to a local dyno shop that works primarily with Hondas and Acuras - Atlanta Powerhouse Performance - and we're setting up an appointment for this upcoming Tuesday. The plan is to do a couple of pulls that morning to establish a bone stock baseline, pull the car off the dyno and flash it with the Phearable tune then I'll drive into my office which is about 15 miles away one way and then come back out around lunch time to do 3 pulls - one on each map with a 10-15 min cool down between pulls. This is as close to a scientific test on the differences between bone stock and each map as I can get. There will likely be a 10-15 degree temperature difference between the stock morning pulls and the ones at lunch after I've flashed and driven it around 30-40 miles. So, if anything, the dyno numbers with the tune flashed will be a tad lower than what it should be with cooler temps.

Any other tips/tricks are always welcomed. I am at the mercy of my fairly liberal work schedule but also their schedule as well.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Anyone run this tune yet?
How is the lower end power?

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ktuner with Phearable tune came in the mail today. I thought I could use my company PC to upload the software to the Ktuner but, of course, it's admin protected and I doubt it would go over well if I asked IT for permission to download a program from a company to tune my car....lol. Hopefully one of my friends replies to my asking a favor to use their laptop to get this going.

The other hiccup is that the shop where I finally spoke to someone last week about dyno'ing tomorrow hasn't returned my calls today to confirm tomorrow's time/cost/plan. Honestly, that's the most frustrating thing I've found about dealing with performance shops the last couple of years and online stores that resell/authorized distributors for parts. Poor communication for the most part. Thankfully, in my limited experience, Phearable has been quick to answer my emails and super quick to ship.....then again they aren't active here so it's not perfect.

I'm about to say screw it and just go to Walmart to buy the cheapest laptop available to use for this one task. Tell me again why in the year 2020 these programs can't be written for Mac users......

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Trying Boot Camp now....standby.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In progress.....as I watch the “How To” video on my iPhone.

Honda Civic 10th gen Joined the Phearable Stage 1.5 Club, need helping planning a dyno 0FD00A85-C519-4070-98D5-CA60EB42B3B1

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Alright, friends...... she’s locked and loaded on the V2. Slot 1 is ktuner starter (stock) map and slot 2 is Phearable tune. I was soooooo tempted to go down and flash the car and drive around but 1) it’s almost 1am here so I’m tired and 2) that would introduce a variable in my plan to dyno bone stock/never flashed to get a baseline.

Hopefully some updates in a few hours!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you're doing a dyno comparison, you want to dyno the car with the actual Honda factory map and then upload the Phearable tune to compare.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're doing a dyno comparison, you want to dyno the car with the actual Honda factory map and then upload the Phearable tune to compare.
Yes, that is my plan.

Wow, finding a dyno shop to RETURN MY CALLS to give them business has been an ordeal I didn't think I would have to deal with. Oh well, I've found a shop that has 4 locations in the metro area and I'm going to one about 25 min from me. Which will work out well since I can do the initial bone stock pulls at 1pm, drive back to work and eat lunch quickly on the way and then drive back which will allow enough time to send the ECU into a closed loop once flashed right after the stock pulls, and then re-dyno each Phearable map.

The shop I'm going to for the dyno primarily deals with higher end European cars, so what special steps (VSA off, etc) do I need to tell them to set the car up to dyno?
Sponsored